!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Another new start  (Read 929 times)

Offline barneyadi

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25703
    • Awards
Another new start
« on: May 07, 2018, 02:00:20 pm »
Having posted on the forum before with various plans I once again hit a brick wall. But a couple of things from my last plan have kept in my head, firstly maybe a part of a heritage line and secondly keep it simple. I have toyed with various plans like Elvinley and Glen Farist but think another layout called North Bay is what i am looking for. Here is the plan for North Bay

Now I don't want it exactly the same, the two lower lines I would be happy as just straight round and round lines, gives me movement in both directions which is what I am after. Now the top single line and station are I was thinking of maybe giving it a heritage line point of view. I like the idea of the single line splitting into two lines into the station. However I think a heritage line would at least have a loco shed, and maybe a goods shed. Can anyone suggest ideas for this? North Bay itself is 6ft6 by 2ft 6 bu I have an area of 8ft by 4ft so more space to play in, with access all sides. ( Yes finally decided on space).

Any help much appreciated.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
Re: Another new start
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2018, 03:35:23 pm »

Hi Barneyadi,

Nice plan - where is it from?

I would say that most heritage lines (certainly my nearest, the Nene Valley) have a "main" station where the loco facilities etc are, but they also have a terminus at the other end that can be fairly sparsely equipped.

It is tempting to try to fit everything in, but as you have identified the single line splitting into the platform offers operational interest, and a crossover at the far end would allow for loco run-around manoeuvres too.  Maybe a dilapidated shed on the other line?

Also, I would be tempted to retain the curve in the mainline; it tends to add interest and a little superelevation will make it attractive to watch the trains move through.

Good luck and please keep us posted with any progress!

cheers

Ben A.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2018, 04:06:24 pm »

Hi Barneyadi,

Nice plan - where is it from?

I would say that most heritage lines (certainly my nearest, the Nene Valley) have a "main" station where the loco facilities etc are, but they also have a terminus at the other end that can be fairly sparsely equipped.

It is tempting to try to fit everything in, but as you have identified the single line splitting into the platform offers operational interest, and a crossover at the far end would allow for loco run-around manoeuvres too.  Maybe a dilapidated shed on the other line?

Also, I would be tempted to retain the curve in the mainline; it tends to add interest and a little superelevation will make it attractive to watch the trains move through.

Good luck and please keep us posted with any progress!

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben

The plan was in a Model Rail extra magazine called Great British Model Railways.

If you notice on the bottom lines it has two sidings, was going to take them out and just have two continuous lines, if that makes more sense.

Offline Ben A

• Revolution Trains
  • N Gauge Society Number: 9835
  • NGS VP, Model Rail contributor, Revolution founder
    • Revolution Trains
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2018, 05:24:56 pm »

Hi Barneyadi,

Yes, and with the extra length you get in 8' the curves could be more sweeping. 

The only advantage to retaining the one or two sidings would be for a little operational interest or a scenic feature, such as a short engineers' siding.

Cheers,

Ben A.

Offline ricboo

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2018, 06:47:37 pm »
Hi, North Bay is actually my layout (well my 12 year old sons). The track plan is slightly wrong as there is no crossover into the sidings, unfortunatley I didnt get to proof read the article before publishing. The sidings was as Ben suggests just for a little more operational interest. All of the track is kato, but if  using peco I think 3 lines on the bottom would be acheivable.

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 07:17:56 pm »
Hi, North Bay is actually my layout (well my 12 year old sons). The track plan is slightly wrong as there is no crossover into the sidings, unfortunatley I didnt get to proof read the article before publishing. The sidings was as Ben suggests just for a little more operational interest. All of the track is kato, but if  using peco I think 3 lines on the bottom would be acheivable.

Hi

Do you have a picture of how it should look at all?

DAve

Offline ricboo

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 07:23:05 pm »
hi dave, i am away until tomorrow but will take a photo tomorrow night of the layout. Basically just remove the crossover i to the lower engineers sidings and that is it. If you search on facebook for northbayanddawesport page there are also photos there.  I wl attempt to download one and put  on here

Offline ricboo

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2018, 07:28:47 pm »

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 07:40:56 pm »

That's great, now I see what is wrong with the plan, they put a point in the wrong place. Makes more sense now.

In the station area did you ever think of putting a run round point at end of station at all?

Offline ricboo

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2018, 07:46:53 pm »
as i intended it for dmu running only no I hadn't, plus with the kato track it would havebeen challenging to get a meaningful run round

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2018, 01:59:38 pm »
So had a little play in Anyrail, splitting the North Bay plan into two as they don't join on the original layout. In the first picture, I think it looks fine although might move the points into the two sidings to the left slightly as have the room to do so.

Now with the middle part I have drawn it similar to the original, just put a run round points at end of station area. Now the top line goes off into fiddle yard(in red) on the original but as my boards are wider it doesn't seem to work as well. I am wondering if I could put a double line loco shed somewhere.

So my main question is, where would be best to put the loco shed? Or any other suggestions most welcome.

Dave

Offline tunneroner61

• N Gauge Society Number: 27061
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2018, 02:09:05 pm »
To be prototypical and railway like the crossover between the tracks should be reversed ie become trailing and the two engineers sidings should be reversed and trail into the mainline. Done like that back in the day for safety, long before H&S was invented.

Offline Jack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22493
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2018, 02:11:34 pm »
The first question would be which track type are you going to use? Kato (as in the original North Bay) or Peco?

Peco code 80 have long curved points which would extent the length of the fiddle yard roads. If you box clever you can use these with Peco code 55 if that's you choice of track. I use code 80 for fiddle yard and code 55 for he seanic side with no problems.
Today's Experts were yesterday's Beginners :)

Offline barneyadi

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2018, 02:21:34 pm »
To be prototypical and railway like the crossover between the tracks should be reversed ie become trailing and the two engineers sidings should be reversed and trail into the mainline. Done like that back in the day for safety, long before H&S was invented.

Which crossover do you mean? The engineers sidings cant be reversed as the inside track runs anticlockwise and would have to reverse into them, or is that better than reversing onto the track. Or am I missing something (very likely)

The first question would be which track type are you going to use? Kato (as in the original North Bay) or Peco?

Peco code 80 have long curved points which would extent the length of the fiddle yard roads. If you box clever you can use these with Peco code 55 if that's you choice of track. I use code 80 for fiddle yard and code 55 for he seanic side with no problems.

Will all be code 55 track. I think the fiddle yards are long enough as is although I think I have one each of the curved turnouts for code 55 track.

Online njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2018, 02:34:03 pm »
Fiddle yard roads can always be longer! And you can always have more of them.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything