!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Scale query  (Read 455 times)

Offline dgp1957

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Scale query
« on: May 03, 2018, 10:33:52 pm »
Hi, iv been looking for some inspiration for a new n gauge German layout.
I have seen some nice 00 layout plans, am I right in thinking that I could scale a 00 by half and use the plan for a n gauge layout?

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Scale query
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2018, 10:47:29 pm »
Broadly speaking yes, but be wary of things like operating wells - you can’t hakf those if you no longer fit into them!

Points don’t necessarily scale either, n gauge points are more than 50% longer then their OO equivalents IIRC, may be relevant on a very cramped plan.

Online Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2018, 10:57:30 pm »
Generally yes, but you will need to be careful with turnouts as equivalent turnouts N gauge are often larger than 50% of OO gauge.

Offline dgp1957

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2018, 11:25:22 pm »
Thanks guys, one more quick question, is peco code 55 track quite prototypical for German rail profile?

Offline mickd247

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 01:01:53 am »
Sorry don't know about the actual rail profile, but all Peco track sleeper spacing in N Gauge is European i.e. 1/160.  When Peco started manufacturing that was all there was, nothing 1/148 existed AFAIK.

:beers:

Mick

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 08:01:11 am »
Peco track isn’t hugely prototypical to any location, the points particularly!It’s not a bad representation of European track though, as said it’s closer to being the right gauge than British N.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2018, 08:43:42 am »
Is peco code 55 track quite prototypical for German rail profile?

It's acceptable - as @njee20  wrote it's pretty generic but suits most styles if you don't get hung up on absolute fidelity.

I've used it on my german layouts.  It looks perfectly fine to me.  N-Club International (big german N group who organise the European N Scale Convention in Stuttgart) specify it as the standard for their modules, so my modular sections are built to that standard so I can hook in with them.

btw, watch out for "OO plans"  as they're probably arranged for british layouts (left hand running etc.)  HO plans may be more appropriate but again only if they're styled for a german layout!

« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 08:47:09 am by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline dgp1957

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2018, 09:39:53 pm »
Cheers folks, reason I'm asking about the track is that I have minitrix start set and was wondering if peco 55 would be fit with the minitrix track.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 12:33:19 am »
Cheers folks, reason I'm asking about the track is that I have minitrix start set and was wondering if peco 55 would be fit with the minitrix track.

I've just had a go: you can't connect the two types as-supplied due to the Minitrix fishplates which are too large to slide onto the lower T of the Peco 55's "double T" profile. You'd need to remove the Minitrix fishplates and fit Peco fishplates instead. They are tight but can be "encouraged" to fit the Minitrix rail.
Once you've done that the rail heads seem to be pretty well matched, but you will have to support the Peco track with thin card underneath as the sleepers are thinner.

Minitrix on the left, Peco 55 on the right. Joined with a Peco fishplate:

« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 12:36:18 am by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 11:03:34 pm »
There are two problems with halving the side of OO layout

1. It then looks as crap as a OO trainset  ;-)
2. Any holes in the middle for operators, or narrow gaps for fingers to get in don't scale !

I normally reckon you can shrink by 33% not 50% if you want to get the best results.
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here