!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: radii for beginners  (Read 385 times)

Offline spoonfed

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
radii for beginners
« on: August 25, 2018, 04:37:37 pm »
hello again all, I recently asked some basic beginner questions and received much sound advice her so, thanks. My latest head scratcher being a complete novice is regarding radii with the intention of using concentric loops, I have for starters a second hand trainset from Bachmann it is the 370-076 Suburban passenger trainset with two coaches and jinty, it runs great and looks brill ! I have been trying to create a second loop inside this for trains running up and down and, thought I had sussed it with more used track from Ebay however, I now realise that my radii are all wrong for the second (internal) loop to run parallel to the first (outside loop) I understand about different sized radii being needed to achieve what I want but, how do I know what curves I already have and, moreover which curves I need to make it all look right and work ? I have searched the internet and found a little information but, nothing specific to my own needs and, of course I dont really know how to ask in technical terms the correct questions so, I hope that my question is clear and my dilemma obvious enough for those with the knowhow to help me please, I do not want my new project to flounder on the first rock but, this is immensely frustrating and holding up progress ! thanks in advance.

Online themadhippy

• Awards
Re: radii for beginners
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2018, 05:31:17 pm »
is this the set you have?
https://www.hattons.co.uk/11597/Graham_Farish_370_076_Suburban_Passenger_Complete_Train_Set/StockDetail.aspx
is so half way down the page it states
Curves in Farish sets are the Peco equivalent of 1st radius ST12 curves
this is the smallest standard radius at 9" so your existing set becomes  the inner loop and 2nd raduis curves or 10 3/8 inch  for your new outer loop

Offline spoonfed

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2018, 05:42:41 pm »
yes, that's the set, so if I understand corrrectly the next loop needs to be bigger not smaller ? and I need to buy 2nd curve radii for the outer loop, hope I have got that right, this is the first time I have seen this information re; radii in print, many thanks .

Online themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2018, 05:53:45 pm »
so if I understand corrrectly the next loop needs to be bigger not smaller
yep
I need to buy 2nd curve radii for the outer loop
yep, https://www.bachmann.co.uk/product/graham-farish-curved-track-2nd-radius-263-5mm-arc-45-379-454/

To double check make a complete circle with your existing track and measure from the inside rail at the 9 o'clock position to the outside rail at the 3 o'clock position,that'll give you the  diameter,divide by 2 and youve got the radius

Offline spoonfed

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2018, 06:22:29 pm »
thanks for making this clear, I shall follow this new information to its conclusion, thank you .

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2018, 07:06:36 pm »
Shop around, check the prices of Peco 2nd radius and Graham Farish 2nd radius.   They are compatible (is it actually Peco track that Farish in their sets these days, or is it a licenced clone? Looks pretty much identical to me)
For example, from the same shop:
Peco ST15 2nd radius 45 degrees 263.5mm radius @ £1.80
https://www.track-shack.com/acatalog/Peco-N-Gauge-Setrack-ST-15-No2-Radius-Double-Curve-Single-Peco-ST-15.html

Farish 379-454 2nd radius 45 degrees 263.5mm radius @ £1.20
https://www.track-shack.com/acatalog/Graham-Farish-379-454-N-Gauge-Curved-Track-2nd-Radius-263.5mm-Arc-45-Graham-Farish-379-454.html#SID=586

Track-Shack are a good shop btw.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2018, 07:11:34 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline spoonfed

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 01:25:45 pm »
many thanks for the informative replies I shall be getting on the case soon, I did think I had made two loops but, found they wouldn't fit properly (that is how green I am ) I attended a model railway exhibition last week with the intention of learning anything I could and, found most of the folk to be friendly but, not really interested when they learned that I was going down the N gauge route (pun intended!) almost felt like a social outcast! which has hardened my resolve to build a great little layout for myself and my grandson and learn as we go, I will need help from the experts here so, if nobody minds a few daft questions from time to time I intend to stick at this new venture and have fun.. lots of it ! cheers.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2018, 04:57:06 pm »
I attended a model railway exhibition last week with the intention of learning anything I could and, found most of the folk to be friendly but, not really interested when they learned that I was going down the N gauge route (pun intended!) almost felt like a social outcast!

That's a great shame but I'm glad it has hardened your resolve as, to me, anything above N gauge is just toy trains :P
Can I ask whereabouts in this sceptred isle you are as there are lots of shows and we may be able to suggest a better one?

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2018, 05:08:51 pm »
(that is how green I am )

We were all green once spoonfed   ;)

if nobody minds a few daft questions from time to time

As has often been said on the forum, the only "daft question" is the one you didn't ask

Good luck with it all  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline spoonfed

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2018, 11:05:41 am »
I am down here in sunny Kent, Folkestone next to the hideous channel tunnel entrance! I was unimpressed by the 00 gauge on show and, agree that they looked for the most part like toys, I am starting to think that only N gauge will give me the chance to build a decent layout incorporating what I envisage in the space available, fighting talk ? we shall see but, armed with a little more knowledge thanks to these boards I intend to crack on and try. when I have sussed how I shall try to post some pics, cheers all .

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2018, 01:24:13 pm »
I am down here in sunny Kent, Folkestone next to the hideous channel tunnel entrance!
My office is opposite Eurotunnel.

I was unimpressed by the 00 gauge on show and, agree that they looked for the most part like toys, I am starting to think that only N gauge will give me the chance to build a decent layout incorporating what I envisage in the space available

OO on show where? Peene museum?   Though that was all N gauge stuff. The former exhibition centre layout is N, as is the branchline model built by the Folkestone club.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline spoonfed

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2018, 03:22:45 pm »
I think they are the Folkestone and Hythe model railway club (I may have got the name wrong ) and they were a decent bunch of chaps, I half stumbled on their show in Cheriton by a happy accident and of course got chatting whence I was invited to their club night which I attended as a visitor, I have no particular interest in becoming a part of a club simply because my work commitments would not permit me to be involved as actively as most of the guys who seem to be retired and, I could not "pull my weight" in club activities but, I learned a lot from the members just on that one visit simply by asking questions, all present modelled only 00 gauge, the club owns an N gauge layout but
I was told it is little used perhaps being hauled out once a year but, since my interest lies mostly in the modelling of landscape etc and, the techniques are the same for both scales I found it to be an interesting and informative visit. Newington Peene is just 5 minutes up the road from me but, I have found it is rarely open weekdays and weekends are when I do most of my work so, not really an option to go there but, I shall try to grab a look sometime .

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2018, 05:47:44 pm »
@spoonfed   ah right I see - you stumbled on the little open day at the Methodist hall.   SWMBO and I did the same - we'd just dropped off a car opposite, for new tires!   Didn't know the open day was on until we saw one of the members wandering back with chips!

I was a member of the Folkestone club for many years  in the 70s and 80s and 90s.  Eventually I found I didn't really have the free time to attend regularly (still don't).  In those days we had a reasonable N gauge contingent and the club had large american and british N layouts.  Unfortunately the membership interested in the tiddlers has dwindled away over the years it seems. The british N layout still exists but in truth I suspect it's now too large for the remaining guys to manage. It comes out for the annual show on occasion, and I usually end up helping out if asked!

Offline spoonfed

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2018, 06:25:03 pm »
well, ntp etc, we may even be acquainted as it sounds like you are a local chap ! Yes I was shown the N stuff stacked in racks out the back, it is coming out for a run on (I think Nov 17) but only in the clubroom in Broomfield Rd, I have been invited along and will probably take a peep work permitting, fairly difficult to avoid chips in that neck of the woods!

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here