!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: LNER Carriages (softback reprint) , By by Michael Harris Review  (Read 338 times)

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
LNER Carriages (softback reprint) , By by Michael Harris

Book Review: I came across this while searching online for information on, erÖ LNER carriages and thought it could be very useful. It is very comprehensive and well-illustrated, not only with photographs but also dimensioned drawings of many carriage types. Unsurprisingly, a large part of the book is devoted to Gresley designs which were introduced in large numbers during the LNER period. I have to say I hadnít realised that articulated stock came in quite so many forms. There is a long appendix listing all LNER carriages with their numbers under different numbering schemes, and the original company for pre-Grouping types. As an aside, it also has a good sketch plan of Doncaster works which would be an excellent basis for a layout.

£13.89 from Abebooks

ISBN: 978-1-906419-52-3

Score: 5
Sometimes I sits and thinks. Sometimes I just sits.

Online Atso

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: LNER Carriages (softback reprint) , By by Michael Harris Review
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2018, 08:33:33 am »
I've got both this and the earlier hardback edition (there are some differences in the content - mainly due, as I understand it, to new information becoming available) and agree with everything above.

Gresley was a big fan of articulated stock and, in addition to this own designs, he was responsible for rebuilding several older GNR carriages into articulated units.

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2018, 09:00:28 am »
Now this sounds better. Thanks!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2018, 08:02:20 am »
I have both the older hardback version of this book, and also ''Historic carriage drawings-Vol 1 LNER' by Nick Campling, and between them they give very comprehensive coverage of LNER and some pre-grouping stock. If anything, the Harris book is a bit light on NPCCS and Thomson stock. Note that Campling is also a bit lacking on NPCCS-the third volume in this series covers a few more vehicles.

I haven't seen the updated version-it was said at the time that some of the information was incorrect or incomplete, but not what was wrong......presumably this resulted in the changes in the new softback book.

Recommended for LNER coaching stock kit or scratchbuilders.

Martyn

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here