!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Historic track layout for altrincham, cheshire  (Read 751 times)

Offline edwin_m

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Historic track layout for altrincham, cheshire
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2018, 04:31:16 pm »
Pretty sure the gas works line was standard gauge - link below shows standard BR mineral wagons being hauled on it.  There is also a large scale map which incidentally shows the track layout of the station.  At one time Altrincham station was further north and what is shown there as the carriage shed was a separate station at Bowdon. 

http://www.altrinchamheritage.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Altrincham-Gas-Works-Railway-Bylines-Vol5-Iss-5-April-2000.pdf

Offline Ian Bowden

• N Gauge Society Number: 26504
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2018, 07:20:28 pm »
Looking at the photo the gas works line is standard gauge. Thinking about it the line was only about half a mile at the most, why would they incur the extra expense of transferring the coal from standard to narrow gauge wagons. I remember being taken to see the train in it's shed at the gas works. I was only eight at the time and somehow it didn't look so big.
The photo shows the coal trucks having just left the gate at the corner of the yard and heading down Moss Lane.
The old Bowdon station was only about 50 yards on from the current Altrincham station and was moved to the site of the current station renaming it Altrincham and Bowdon station. The carriage sheds were surrounded by single story rather dilapidated shops that were recently demolished to make way for the new hospital.

Offline Spanners70

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2018, 09:14:39 pm »
What a fantastic article Edwin, thanks for the link. Way before my time but really interesting

Offline stevewalker

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2018, 12:10:34 am »
Sorry, I can't remember where I found this, but it has been sitting on my desktop for months!

Offline Spanners70

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2018, 08:11:32 am »
Great steve just wh at I needed for my starting point. But not in this sunshine today !

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2018, 08:26:14 pm »
But not in this sunshine today !

Can we have our sunshine back please, you've only got it on a short loan   :D

Offline Ian Bowden

• N Gauge Society Number: 26504
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 07:41:26 pm »
Sorry, I can't remember where I found this, but it has been sitting on my desktop for months!

Very good design, it shows the Skelton Junction branch where trains to Stockport branched off the Manchester line. There were a few other junctions around there going towards Warrington, mainly carrying coal.
The Barrington Road level crossing caused quite a rush hour tailback even in the late 1950's with so many trains going through. The local constabulary helped increase the misery by putting a policeman on point duty at the cross roads just over the crossings. It took ages for the signalman to close and open the gates using a large handwheel in the box. Long ICI mineral trains went through from Winsford carrying rock salt while equally long ballast trains went in the opposite direction.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything