!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Historic track layout for altrincham, cheshire  (Read 438 times)

Offline Spanners70

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Historic track layout for altrincham, cheshire
« on: May 02, 2018, 09:14:50 am »
As per the title, Iím looking to find historical track layout plans for altrincham station in Cheshire, as in early years with sidings etc not the station as is for the metro.
Anyone any ideas of sites? Iíve had no luck so far on google, any leads welcomed. Hoping to use my childhood station as a starting point for the new loft layout .

Offline The Q

• Awards
Re: Historic track layout for altrincham, cheshire
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2018, 11:03:36 am »
The National Library of Scotland has a good set of Maps of the whole of the UK to look at...
https://maps.nls.uk/

Offline Carmont

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2018, 11:06:26 am »
The National Library of Scotland has a good set of Maps of the whole of the UK to look at...
https://maps.nls.uk/

My go to site for my side hobby of layout designing:

http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=53.3894&lon=-2.3455&layers=168&b=1

You can zoom in and out using the wheel on your mouse.

EDIT: You can also use the transparency slider to show you an overlay of the present satelite image, etc.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:08:59 am by Carmont »

Offline emjaybee

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: No
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2018, 11:08:00 am »
What about this site?

http://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

Someone posted it recently and I've found it very interesting. It allows you to see what was there and how it goes in with what is there now.

:thumbsup:
Sometimes you bite the dog...

...sometimes the dog bites you!

----------------------------------------------------------

I can explain it to you...

...but I can't understand it for you.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 11:21:29 am »
I found the plan of Hadley Wood at Old-Maps: https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/

I also subsequently found the same map at The National Library of Scotland as well.

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2018, 02:49:17 pm »
As others have said the National Library of Scotland has free access to OS maps of the whole of the UK going back to the early 1800's.

These are very detailed and, frankly, if you want to know what your local bus shelter, sorry railway station, was like in the pre-grouping or steam era is a one stop shop.

Regards,

John P

Offline Carmont

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2018, 03:44:02 pm »
As others have said the National Library of Scotland has free access to OS maps of the whole of the UK going back to the early 1800's.

These are very detailed and, frankly, if you want to know what your local bus shelter, sorry railway station, was like in the pre-grouping or steam era is a one stop shop.

Regards,

John P

Always best to select the 25 inches to the mile scale option, where available.

Offline edwin_m

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2018, 06:15:26 pm »
This accident report includes a sketch plan of part of the station and reading it gives some background on how it was operated. 

http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/documents/MoT_Altrincham1933.pdf

Offline Spanners70

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2018, 08:26:14 pm »
Thanks all, that national site of Scotland is exactly what I was after and the kind chap that sent the link above even had it centered on altrincham with the right period of track. Whilst I shall try and use the track plan, it wonít be that authentic as the rolling stick will be anything goes from any era, because I can ! Thnaks again.

Offline Ian Bowden

• N Gauge Society Number: 26504
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2018, 10:51:36 pm »
Don't forget the narrow gauge single track railway that went out of the coal yard and ran down the middle of Moss Lane to the gas works. It had a couple of steam engines operating on it.

Offline Spanners70

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 06:29:28 pm »
Thanks Ian, yeah spotted it on the map from the above link but itís way before my time and never remember it. I can just about remember the big old bus depot between the station and where the gas works is showing more digging required ! I can o ly remember altrincham pretty much as is now track wise, but remember it before all the building onto what was the rail yards etc.

Offline Ian Bowden

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 07:50:31 pm »
From 1931 Altrincham was served by DC operated electric trains running from Altrincham to Manchester, as they were non standard they were kept and repaired in the carriage works that was situated between LLoyd Street and the station. The reason for the Goose Green bridge was to allow traffic to cross the service line to the carriage sheds.
The main use of the sidings next to the station was for coal. There were several coal merchants huts around the side of the yard.
The trains from Chester to Manchester were steam hauled (later diesel railcars) but used separate platforms.
The Altrincham electric railway preservation society website( http://altrinchamelectric.org.uk/ ) has plenty of photos and information.
There are some photos of the station frontage with carriages waiting for the cotton barons from Manchester to take them to their large houses in Hale and Dunham. Unfortunately I have not been able to locate them on the internet, some more digging will probably turn them uo.

Offline Spanners70

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 08:40:06 pm »
I can remember the goose green bridge going over an empty space to both sides but my earliest memories (late 70s/early 80s) it didnít have track always wondered what the spaces were, it was just the 2 dead end platform tracks and the 2 tracks going on to hale. More digging required, never heard of this narrow gauge section, maybe I need to create something on z gauge track to go with the N tracks...

Offline Ian Bowden

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2018, 09:02:35 pm »
There was a set of gates on the corner of the coal yard where ATS was until recently. The narrow gauge track ran down the middle of Moss Lane towards the gas works. The coal yard was the whole area now covered by the Ice Rink, leisure centre and the small industrial estate. Its main purpose ceased when the country went over to natural gas and there was no need to locally produce coal gas.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here