!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hadley Wood  (Read 4120 times)

Online RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
Re: Hadley Wood
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2018, 02:37:04 pm »
 :goggleeyes:

:greatwork:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2018, 07:18:58 pm »
Thank you guys,

Really it looks excellent. If you can get smooth running through the slip and scissors you must have cracked hand built track. Just brilliant.

Running is smooth through the points and diamond but ever so slight catching still on on of the slip blades, I'll get there... I hope!  :smiley-laughing:

That looks great, well beyond my soldering skills and my patience . :greatwork: :wonderfulmodelling:

Thanks Ditape. In terms of soldering this is pretty much the same as soldering electrical components. In fact I've used electrical solder throughout on these bits of track as it doesn't flow as well as Carrs 145 degree modellers solder. The only additional bit I've done is to place a small amount of Frys flux paste onto each sleeper (again, other than the liquid phosphoric acid I use for building kits). The only difficult bit is to stay awake while doing repetitive soldering! The last turnout I constructed (before trying the super crossover) took about two hours to build and I think that, with practice, I can get this down to around one hour per standard turnout...

The real benefit to me is the cost. The super crossover has consumed quite a bit on my code 40 rails (partly due to scrapping so many attempts at the blades!) but has still come out at around 7.50 worth of materials used. When you consider that Hattons is listing a code 55 small turnout at 9.50 and a double slip at 37, you can see the cost savings if you can afford the time.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #77 on: June 24, 2018, 08:01:33 am »
Super work Steve, made me gulp when I saw the complexity of that double double slip!

..... I had been playing around with AnyRail to see if I could recreate the Gleneagles junction with code 55 ... could just about do it, but your thread has got me wondering about doing with FineTrax.......

Offline belstone

• Trade Count: (+3)
    • Belstone blog
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: June 24, 2018, 08:30:29 am »
That crossover is a remarkable piece of trackwork, although wiring it up should be fun. If the rest of Hadley Wood shows anything like this level of commitment it is going to be a legendary layout.

Richard

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: June 27, 2018, 06:48:01 pm »
Thank you both, I hope that Hadley Wood lives up to belstone's expectations now!  :goggleeyes:  :doh:

I've managed to get both double slips working. In the end I did add the inner blades but only fixed them to the tie bar and left them floating, but well supported, at the other end. This allows the tie bar to move freely and seems to work well.

I've still got to work out where I'm cutting through the rails to isolate it but I couldn't resist posing my newest bit of motive power on it.  :D

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #80 on: June 27, 2018, 07:27:52 pm »
Beautiful piece of trackwork Steve, sorting out how to isolate it is another thing altogether!

Reminds me of many, many years ago when my brother wanted to recreate Barnstaple Junction in N and volunteered me to do the soldering as at the time I worked in an electronics factory soldering up pcb's part time.  We eventually got it to work but it took quite a while to sort out.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 07:52:20 pm by Caz, Reason: added pic »

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2018, 10:41:28 am »
Beautiful piece of trackwork Steve, sorting out how to isolate it is another thing altogether!

Reminds me of many, many years ago when my brother wanted to recreate Barnstaple Junction in N and volunteered me to do the soldering as at the time I worked in an electronics factory soldering up pcb's part time.  We eventually got it to work but it took quite a while to sort out.

Thanks Caz,

Wow, that's a complex bit of track work and something I'm grateful that I'll not have to try and copy. Well done for getting it working on the layout!

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: September 09, 2018, 04:27:18 pm »
There hasn't been a lot of progress on Hadley Wood recently. However, at TINGS yesterday RoyLS pointed out that N Brass are now selling roller gauges for Code 40 rail and promptly purchased some and gave them to me (thank you so much Roy).

Therefore I thought that I should try them out and spent this afternoon producing this pair of turnouts.

Despite the photograph, I can confirm that the gauge does not narrow towards the top of the turnouts - it is a trick of perspective. I found that the check rails ended up being slightly tight for me Peco test wagon (still fitted with Peco plastic wheels as I have a lot of these and rewheeling will take some time) but it was easy to ease the clearances by squeezing a piece of 1mm thick cardboard between one of the check rails and the main rail and reintroducing the soldering iron to move the check rail ever so slightly.

Overall, I'm impressed with the roller gauges and have found that they certainly make accurate track building easier compared to my previous cardboard template method.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: September 09, 2018, 11:31:42 pm »
Steve you crafty little Squirrel how come I just found out about this now :(  :'( :'( :'(

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: September 10, 2018, 06:28:59 am »
Steve you crafty little Squirrel how come I just found out about this now :(  :'( :'( :'(

You didn't look Paul. Besides, I had to find out about your layouts (now incarcerated in train prison  :( ) myself.  :P

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: September 10, 2018, 09:24:42 am »
The pair of turnouts are simply superb work, Steve.

Congratulations.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline DCCDave

• Trade Count: (+4)
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: September 10, 2018, 02:19:37 pm »

Just like to add my well done, that's an amazingly good piece of track work their Steve.

Cheers
Dave

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: September 10, 2018, 05:26:56 pm »

You didn't look Paul. Besides, I had to find out about your layouts (now incarcerated in train prison  :( ) myself.  :P

That's no excuse  :P

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2018, 09:18:57 am »
Steve

I had a business trip up to town this week and passed through Hadley Wood on the Up Fast as I have done very many times before.

But this time I was particularly fortunate as the HST was severely checked by signals* and I obtained a really good impression of how the station looks now.  I think your model will be most attractive and of considerable historical interest as it is difficult to imagine the former layout at this location.

*It felt to me like the driver was sighting the signals at yellow but passing them at double yellow: good work.

All the best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Atso

• Advertiser
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2018, 09:51:26 am »
Thanks John,

Occasionally a signal check can be a good thing!

Hadley Wood has changed a bit since the 1930's hasn't it. From the old station, only the original two flights of stairs to street level remain. To the north and south the tunnel portholes are the original on (I think) the down lines but have been modified to accommodate the 'new' bores when quadrupling work began in the 1950's. The 'goods yard' (a somewhat grand title for the two sidings and headshunt) disappeared sometime shortly after the war and the station building and platform shelters have long since been demolished. At street level the news isn't much better with the old railway tavern and the original parade of shops having made way for a 1970's style set of buildings but most of the dwellings still remain.

Yes, Hadley Wood is a very different area today than it was 80 years ago!  A shame as go a little way to Oakley Park and most of the original wooden station and platform buildings are still there!

Will my version of Hadley Wood be of historical interest as I'm invoking a slight bit of modeller's licence and retaining the crossing points at the south end of the platform for operation interest (and the fact I'd already built the appropriate Finetrax kit by the time I found this out!). This in turn will necessitate the retention of the signal (a GNR somersault! :goggleeyes:) that was mounted on the north side of the road bridge that controlled trains backing up from the down line to the up to access the goods sidings. The signal appears to have been removed during the re-signalling work carried out in 1932 when Hadley Wood's box lost day to day control of that section of line (but was still used if the goods sidings needed to be accessed) while the crossover was removed sometime between 1932 and 1937. As I'm planning to run locomotives and stock covering nominally the 1930-39 period, neither the pre or post 1932 layout is going to strictly accurate but will allow me to run some locomotives that had been withdrawn by 1937.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here