!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Class 33 conversion to 26  (Read 150 times)

Offline Ocean_Colliery

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Class 33 conversion to 26
« on: April 27, 2018, 09:46:17 pm »
 :hellosign:

I've just purchased an old "spares/repairs" Farish class 33, and I'd like to carry out some alterations to it so that it reasonably resembles a class 26. Does anyone have experience of this that they could share, or can anyone point me in the right direction? It doesn't have to be a perfect conversion, just enough for it to be recognisably a class 26.

My thoughts at the moment are:
-Remove paintwork
-File away the central parts of the moulded handrail, and add representation of front door panels with plastic sheet/filler, covering the lower half of the central window
-Use a small (1.5mm?) drill bit to create holes underneath the windows (are these marker lights?) and add fine wire handrails above these
-Remove cab glazing and remove representation of ... destination number? (in the central window)  :sorrysign:
 :dunce:
-Add white discs as required

I'm not too concerned about details such as accurate etched grilles etc. as this is an old model anyway. I'd just like to give this conversion a go.

Offline ScottishModeller

• N Gauge Society Number: 24524
    • Awards
Re: Class 33 conversion to 26
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 11:09:11 pm »
Hi there,

I've been doing this conversion for years - in total I think 5 times.

I had the latest, part done, one on display on the NGS stand at Modelrail Scotland in February.

The 'to do' list you have done covers almost exactly what I do.

If the etched grills were still available - I'd do that as well as they make a big difference to the appearance.

Thanks
Thanks
Phil Holman

Offline Ocean_Colliery

• Awards
Re: Class 33 conversion to 26
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 06:38:55 pm »
Thanks for the reply, I've just received the class 33 today. I didn't realise that the cab fronts actually detach from the body. Having looked at BH Enterprises site, I've seen that they make replacement ends to convert a 33 to a 26. Have you or anyone else used these before?

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here