!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: It's the End Of The Line as we know it (and I feel fine)  (Read 501 times)

Offline BoxTunnel

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
It's the End Of The Line as we know it (and I feel fine)
« on: April 26, 2018, 01:59:33 pm »
Ladies and Gentleman,

Welcome to BoxTunnel’s latest (and final) idea.

Thanks to the modelling masterminds on this forum I have eventually realised that one can not model the entire GWR region on a teeny tiny 4’ by 2’ baseboard, even in N Gauge!  Therefore I have abandoned any concept of a roundy roundy layout and have embraced the end to end principal.  With the help of a book by Mr C.J Freezer (never heard of him myself until Jeff Bezos pointed him my way) It may be even slightly prototypical…

Aaah, but before you see it I restricted myself in several ways, thus:

I have a lot of Kato track and points and I will not buy any more, so it’s Unitrack all the way.
I already have a sturdy and well-made  baseboard built with the help of BoxTunnel Snr (my Dad), so that will have to suffice.
It will be GWR as I live eight miles north of Swindon, and all four of my locomotives are GWR (I do fancy some BR black steam locos though, they look good).
It will be DCC, meaning three of my four Locomotives will need to be converted (Looking at you OnlyMe), but I can’t really see a role for Broome Manor - far too large, she will be snuggled up for “The Big Layout”.

The Plan:

The idea, as the title may convey, is the very end of the line, of a spur from, the Midland & South Western Junction line post grouping.  I’m pushing it I know, but rule one and all that.  We are still in the village of Cerney Keynes but it has moved slightly south and slightly west and the main reason it still exists is the abundance of cows. 

We have a cattle dock, a milk platform (just picked up a pair of Siphons from evilbay at a bargain price), a very small station and a siding I was thinking could be a mineral platform, but it seems prototypically gravel, which is still a thing around North Wiltshire, was rarely transported by rail, I’ll have to think about that…

Currently being held up by the fact that BoxTunnel Snr is currently cruising around the Med (again) with Mrs BoxTunnel Snr and I am totally incapable of “doing woodwork” without an adult present.  Well actually I am, but BoxTunnel Snr has the workshop and the tools, so we play by his rules and I need a back scene!

All comments gratefully received.

Graham, will give bonus points to whomever deciphers the title of this thread.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 02:06:01 pm by BoxTunnel »
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
Re: It's the End Of The Line as we know it (and I feel fine)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 02:01:41 pm »
Hang on, forgot the piccy, coming soon, I hope...
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 03:43:03 pm »

Graham, will give bonus points to whomever deciphers the title of this thread.

A take on REM's 'End of the World as we know it'?

Looks a good plan with lots of room for practising scenics but I'd like to add a run round loop in the station :hmmm:

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 04:06:14 pm »
Graham

I agree completely with NPN.  For the type of operation you describe a run-round loop is essential.

If you really like almost constant shunting, this layout will be good.  But if you fancy watching the trains go by for a while, an oval will be better.  Lets your locomotives get a good run as well.  Four foot by two foot allows this, even with Kato 'Unitrack'.  Please use #6 points and, due to your space constraints, you won't need many.

There is a great little plan in the Peco 'Setrack' plan book that would be just the thing and a nice layout based on it was in the Railway Modeller a couple of years ago.

Port Perran's excellent Tregonning thread shows what can be achieved in a small space.  This uses Peco track and points so there are more points than you would be able to fit in.

I suggest that before you properly build your plan, mock it up (Kato 'Unitrack' is good for this) and play trains for a while.  This will enable you to see if almost constant shunting is for you.  If so, brilliant++.  If not, easy to think again.

By the way, CJ Freezer was a super chap.  His plans often are a bit of an eleven ton load on a ten ton wagon, though.  If he says six by four, it will fit better on an eight by five and so on!

All the best.

John

'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline GroupC

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 04:54:36 pm »
Is that line at the top left going all the way to Reno?

I'd include a water feature for extra interest - perhaps in a secluded spot so people can find the river and go nightswimming.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything