!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Network Rail Brake Force Runner - Shapeways  (Read 383 times)

Online Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Network Rail Brake Force Runner - Shapeways
« on: April 22, 2018, 06:51:14 pm »
Bit of a camel rather than a racehorse.  Nice Shapeways prints of GWR Motorail vans, now in use with Network Rail as Brake Force Runners, mounted on Farish BR Brake chassis.  Although the chassis are not accurate for the prototype they are close enough and fit the prints well.  A nice quick project to fill in gaps of longer projects.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 07:55:16 pm by Snowwolflair »

Offline EtchedPixels

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+44)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 16353
  • 2mm Association Number: 4412
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Etched Pixels
    • Awards
Re: Network Rail Brake Force Runner - Shapeways
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2018, 08:09:46 pm »
URL for them ?
"Knowledge has no value or use for the solitary owner: to be enjoyed it must be communicated" -- Charles Pratt, 1st Earl Camden

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards

Offline Buzzard

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2018, 09:21:50 pm »
URL for them ?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/YVNR9YP8W/2-x-n-scale-motorail-fgw-conversion?optionId=57740763&li=marketplace

Buyer beware that although the description states 1:148 it also says N scale which of course is smaller.

I bought one of the VIX ferry vans from that Shapeways shop and it is N scale.  It took me a little while to realise that because at first I couldn't believe that elements of a cut down Farish chassis wouldn't fit however hard I tried.

Any print that is described as 1:148 and N scale now rings alarm bells.

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 09:31:18 pm »
URL for them ?

https://www.shapeways.com/product/YVNR9YP8W/2-x-n-scale-motorail-fgw-conversion?optionId=57740763&li=marketplace

Buyer beware that although the description states 1:148 it also says N scale which of course is smaller.

I bought one of the VIX ferry vans from that Shapeways shop and it is N scale.  It took me a little while to realise that because at first I couldn't believe that elements of a cut down Farish chassis wouldn't fit however hard I tried.

I may be missing something but British N is 1:148,  Continental N is 1:160  and Japanese N is 1:150

Offline Buzzard

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 08:36:01 am »
I may be missing something but British N is 1:148,  Continental N is 1:160  and Japanese N is 1:150

British N Gauge is 1:148 whilst N Scale covers everything else but of course those models are smaller.

Try this.  On a piece of track stick one of your brake force runners between two standard Farish Mk1 coaches and see if the heights are the same.  If the runner is smaller then it's likely to be N Scale and not 1:148.  That's one of the problems with my VIX van.

If you have a Farish GUV measure that and then the runner.  Any differences? 

I guess you're aware that the runners are modified GUVs but the basics, height and width, should still be the same.

Online woodbury22uk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2018, 10:00:22 am »

Based on the quoted Shapeways dimensions this appears to have an overall length correct for 1/148, but the width is about 1.5mm too narrow. This would compound any problems of fitting a Farish chassis as the over-solebar width of these wagons was narrower than domestic wagons built at the same time. This was due to the exceptionally long wheelbase of 8 metres, with the consequent centre throw issue especially at passenger platform level.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 10:02:32 am by woodbury22uk, Reason: spellink »
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2018, 11:27:44 am »
IIRC this model and the VIX were designed by a friend of a friend and are both to 1:148. Whether the design is the correct width is another matter!

Cheers Mike

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 11:35:13 am »

British N Gauge is 1:148 whilst N Scale covers everything else but of course those models are smaller.

Try this.  On a piece of track stick one of your brake force runners between two standard Farish Mk1 coaches and see if the heights are the same.  If the runner is smaller then it's likely to be N Scale and not 1:148.  That's one of the problems with my VIX van.

If you have a Farish GUV measure that and then the runner.  Any differences? 

I guess you're aware that the runners are modified GUVs but the basics, height and width, should still be the same.

They are exactly the same cross section as a Farish Mk1 GUV.

I think you have a misconception that N is only 1:160, it is not.  In the UK N is 1:148 and the maker is telling you it is 148 N not 160 N hence the double statement of scale.

In a lot of 3D models the prints are a truer scale than the RTR N products and hence standard homogenized RTR chassis wont always fit and you have to make ones.  I agree with Woodbury22nk on the particular problem with the VIX wagons.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2018, 11:48:57 am »
We never really refer to "N Scale" though, we call it N Gauge, N Scale is the common parlance on the continent and in the US, where it's 1/160 as you know.

Ergo, Buzzard is simply suggesting treading with care on a model listed as 1/148 N Scale, as those two terms are slightly at odds with each other.

Online Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 12:03:37 pm »
The description of the item is "N Scale (1:148), BR International Ferry Van, TOPS Code: VIX, Material: Frosted Ultra Detail."

The model has been designed with buffers and solebar which tells you that it is not designed to fit on an RTR chassis, probably as they wont fit due to width.

Putting a "Buyer beware" on hundreds of hours of somebodies work, where the problem is actually a misunderstanding of what is on offer, is not fair on the maker.

Online Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 12:07:25 pm »
the Tags, N Scale, N Gauge, 1:148 etc are tags applied by the creator to reach people searching for particular products, N Scale doesnt always mean 1:160 thats in the searchers head....or his Rivet box  :D
« Last Edit: April 23, 2018, 12:08:30 pm by Only Me »

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything