!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Need to find out what trains ran on the line I知 basing my layout on.  (Read 562 times)

Offline IkBrunel

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
I知 basing my layout on ardsley station which was in between Leeds/ Wakefield area on the Leeds to Doncaster route for the Lner and then br when they took over. I know a3s/ a4s and then deltics ran the passenger services but what would have run mixed traffic and goods trains? Also what shunters would have been on the the Lner line? Many thanks.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 10:36:43 am by IkBrunel »

Offline tunneroner61

• N Gauge Society Number: 27061
    • Awards
Sorry to disappoint but I think you had better look at your railway map again. Ardsley is on the Doncaster to Leeds line of the LNER not the London to Edinburgh line.

Try and get an old Ian Allan Locoshed book for your era and you'll be able to see what locos were allocated to the ex LNER Leeds area depots. By inference these will have worked the trains in question. QED!!!

Offline IkBrunel

• Awards
Sorry to disappoint but I think you had better look at your railway map again. Ardsley is on the Doncaster to Leeds line of the LNER not the London to Edinburgh line.

Try and get an old Ian Allan Locoshed book for your era and you'll be able to see what locos were allocated to the ex LNER Leeds area depots. By inference these will have worked the trains in question. QED!!!

Brilliant. That痴 good to know. I have pictures of a4/a3 and deltics going through the station but nothing for mixed and freight traffic. Where could I find a map that showed this?

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
This link on Wikipedia -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeds,_Bradford_and_Halifax_Junction_Railway

mentions Ardsley a few times. It might be of some interest even if it does not give the information you want.  :)
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Not sure what era you run but if you can find the name and shed number of one near to your layout's location this site is great for finding out what was allocated to where and when...........

http://www.brdatabase.info/index.php

For mixed traffic I'd be looking at:-
Steam
B1, B17, J39 and V2 as well as pacifics.
Diesel
Class 31, 37 and 47
For freight possibly:-
Steam
G2, 8F, 9F and WD (along with the mixed traffic locos)
Diesel
As above

I think you're a bit limited on shunters but I'd look into classes 03, 04 and 08

My knowledge of the LNER is not huge and gained mostly from books and DVDs, but I have suggested those available in RTR form.

Offline tunneroner61

• Awards
I'd add class 20, 25 and 40, all in green,  to NN's list of diesel types.

Try here for railway maps : http://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php

Click on <Stations> top left, then type in Ardsley in the search box and use the magnification button bottom right to bring up a detailed map of the area. (this website is brilliant IMHO)

The Middleton Press 'Then and Now' series of books may well cover Ardsley - if not explicitly it may well have pictures of trains at other stations on the line, so you could get an idea of the train make ups.

Like NN my knowledge of the LNER is limited, I'm a GWR man!!!!

Offline tunneroner61

• Awards
PS.

dannyboy's Wiki link includes a bibliography and also a link to Wiki info on Ardsley station specifically, so there are clues as to where to go researching in the listed books.

Offline IkBrunel

• Awards
Not sure what era you run but if you can find the name and shed number of one near to your layout's location this site is great for finding out what was allocated to where and when...........

http://www.brdatabase.info/index.php

For mixed traffic I'd be looking at:-
Steam
B1, B17, J39 and V2 as well as pacifics.
Diesel
Class 31, 37 and 47
For freight possibly:-
Steam
G2, 8F, 9F and WD (along with the mixed traffic locos)
Diesel
As above

I think you're a bit limited on shunters but I'd look into classes 03, 04 and 08

My knowledge of the LNER is not huge and gained mostly from books and DVDs, but I have suggested those available in RTR form.
if the Pacifics did mixed traffic did the deltics or where they purely passenger trains?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
I have to admit never seeing Deltics on freight but that's not to say they didn't. A4s regularly ran high speed fish trains and also van trains.

Offline scottishlocos

• Awards
Hi

Whilst not my era or region I wold go for the following freight trains first block trains of the following that's one train with all the same wagons

Coal in 16t mineral wagons

Iron Ore in hopper wagons

Oil in the older type tank wagons

Steel on bogie bolsters

Cement in Presflow wagons

In addition a pick up freight or two with mixed wagons probably a few 16t coal wagons some tanks for chemicals and some box wagons for general goods and maybe some Well wagons with boilers as I am sure the many engineering works in this area were still active at this time

Also add class 40 to list above

Dave

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
I have to admit never seeing Deltics on freight but that's not to say they didn't.

It was very, very uncommon. They were designed for acceleration rather than tractive effort, so much more like a classic express passenger loco than a truly mixed traffic engine. They did work parcels trains though, though not very often. Indeed, my assumption would be that these parcels workings were more like running-in turns or a means for getting a loco from A to B than something the operating department would deliberately seek to schedule.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline javlinfaw7

• N Gauge Society Number: 23283
    • Awards
Was the Royal Scots Greys not on hire for freight work a few years back?

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
IKB;
Ardsley shed in 1950 (coded 37A) had the following classes;
B1; B4; O4; J3; J6; J39; C12; C14; J52; J50; N1.

In 1959, now coded as 56B; The emphasis had changed a bit;
LMS Cl 4MT 260; 3FT; B1; O4; J6; J39; J52; J50.

In 1965, still 56B;
LMS 4MT; A1; V2; B1; WD 280.

I know little about the area, but I think there were extensive marshalling yards in the vicinity. I suspect-but don't actually know-that the A1s and V2s may have been nominal allocations; you will have to search to see if they actually did any work from the shed.

Source; BR Steam Motive Power Depots/Paul Bulger/Ian Allan/1982. This book has the numbers of individual locos allocated there. Note that the book only covers STEAM; probably the 060 shunters would have been replaced by diesels. If you want diesel numbers., it might be a long trawl through Ian Allan shed allocation books of the era.

HTH

Martyn
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 08:37:59 am by martyn, Reason: extra info »

Online crewearpley40

• Awards

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
This wonderful site allows you to choose a depot then look at what was allocated there. It seems the only diesels at Ardsley were 05 shunters and class 17s

http://www.brdatabase.info/sites.php?page=depots&subpage=locos&id=23

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here