!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: City of Truro, the second fastest steam locomotive ever!  (Read 331 times)

Offline BoxTunnel

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
City of Truro, the second fastest steam locomotive ever!
« on: April 14, 2018, 08:23:10 am »
I found this on youtube, a simulated drag race between a number of iconic locomotives. Warning, the "yoof" presenting it is extremely annoying, but you can always mute it and he's into trains so he can't be all that bad!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iiaQFnbbPNc

I have no idea how accurate Train Simulator is but apart from Mallard the results were surprising, especially how poorly the Flying Scotsman fared.  The lowly little 14xx shamed a few express locomotives as well!

Graham, can run faster than the Duchess of Hamilton.
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: City of Truro, the second fastest steam locomotive ever!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 08:37:03 am »
I didn't realise train simulators were so realistic!

As I get older and eyesight gets worse, virtual railway modelling is looking like a viable option!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Chris Morris

• Ridgacre Branch & Little Aller Junction
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 09:02:49 am »
Just goes to show the programming isnít quite right. Sutherland and Hamilton should have identical performance. The smaller wheeled locos accelerating faster was correct. What did he do about cut offs? its not just about regulator, the wrong reverser setting will kill any attempt at high speed.

Good fun though.

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 11:42:13 am »
I didn't realise train simulators were so realistic!

As I get older and eyesight gets worse, virtual railway modelling is looking like a viable option!

Train Simulator is a lot of fun, Iíve just sent a First Great Western HST five miles past the station it was supposed to stop at!  The steamers or even harder, but I have two days off, wine and cider, and a childís glee at driving things really fast so thatís my weekend sorted!

You can also build your own railways, but that will have to wait until I can stop at a station!!

Just goes to show the programming isnít quite right. Sutherland and Hamilton should have identical performance. The smaller wheeled locos accelerating faster was correct. What did he do about cut offs? its not just about regulator, the wrong reverser setting will kill any attempt at high speed.

Good fun though.

I must admit Chris that I fast forwarded through much of the yoofís talky bits because he was annoying, so all the programming stuff was above my head.  If it was a team game though, Godís Wonderful Railway seem to be the Roma of Locos, no Messi, no Ronaldo but as a team they beat quite a few famous opponents there.  Having looked up the City of Truro on Wikipedia it seems she can unofficially claim to be the first locomotive to pull a train at 100mph, quite a few years before the famous Flying Scotsman.  But having read and enjoyed many of your posts I am sure this is not news for you!

Graham, still trying to work out how to get Mallard into his West Country layout.

"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 11:44:49 am »
Just put it there.  ;)
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2018, 12:11:23 pm »
When running as E22, MALLARD took place in the 1948 Interchange trials on the WR, together with SEAGULL..............

Martyn

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2018, 12:59:19 pm »
Googling found it listed as 9th fastest on this site

http://www.ba-bamail.com/content.aspx?emailid=24989
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2018, 02:44:18 pm »
When running as E22, MALLARD took place in the 1948 Interchange trials on the WR, together with SEAGULL..............

Martyn

You Sir, are a excellent and knowledgeable gentlemen and I am forever in your debt.  Now all I have to do is save the pennies for the beautiful beast.

I had never heard of these trials but according to Wikipedia the LMS had a lot of political power and came out on top.  This surprises me as I thought the GWR was the only really profitable company of the big four and had huge political influence in Westminster.  One lives and learns... 

Graham, loves Mallard but has an increasingly poorly car.

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2018, 08:08:55 pm »
Graham;

LMS senior officers did tend to get promoted to the senior BR motive power positions; I have no idea why (age of other candidates?). The A4s tended to come top in the passenger trials for fuel and water economy, but overall, nearly all individual locomotives in all classes in all the power category trials had good and bad days. The LMS Duchesses were more powerful though in terms of drawbar horsepower than A4s. The resulting BR standards contained a mix of Big Four loco features, though, possibly, LMS features may have been in the majority; but the LMS did have some advanced loco servicing and maintenance ideas at the time.

The (G)WR running superintendent for the 1948 Interchange passenger trials was recorded (according to the RCTS LNER History) as saying 'we have nothing to touch this locomotive' after witnessing SEAGULL's performance.

Martyn

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything