!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Trip to the Harz Mountains for a week  (Read 231 times)

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
Trip to the Harz Mountains for a week
« on: April 13, 2018, 10:07:25 pm »
Any suggestions for trips / visits/must see museums/restaurants??
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
Re: Trip to the Harz Mountains for a week
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 02:13:40 pm »
There is a bar in Wernegerode that overlooks the coaling stage of the Harz mountain railway. The beer is delivered to your table by a G gauge loco running around the room.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Online GScaleBruce

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Hillhead & Dales Light Railway blog
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 04:15:40 pm »
Well, the Harz narrow gauge railway is the obvious one. If you want to go up the Brocken (Germany's highest mountain north of the Alps), the fare is quite expensive, especially in comparison to other options. Do check out the timetable carefully - steam on certain days on the Selketal line is a joy, a cramped single car dmu isn't. You can get a HarzTourCard ticket that covers all local transport including the Harz narrow gauge railways and relevant standard gauge links except Schierke to the summit of the Brocken, and it's valid for three days. Information in English seems well hidden at the moment, but it is/was Ä18 per person. That's maybe why information is so hard to come by about it... The other place to visit is the Unesco World Heritage Site that is Quedlinburg, coincidentally the end of the Selketalbahn; perhaps because of that coincidence I've been to the station but never made it to the town centre...
Bruce
My layout - Steinheim am Main

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 08:27:11 pm »
If you decide to visit the Brocken, take note of the weather. When we did the trip, we were in the clouds, couldnít see a thing. The next day, we could see the top from Wernegerode. Quedlinburg is worth a visit. The castle is worth a look and the town has a claim to have the oldest half timbered house in Germany. Itís worth noting that the Harz area used to be in East Germany and the population wasnít exposed to English television, so you might find a command of German useful.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2018, 08:28:24 pm by Malc »
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline PennineWagons

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2018, 10:04:40 pm »
There is a bar in Wernegerode that overlooks the coaling stage of the Harz mountain railway. The beer is delivered to your table by a G gauge loco running around the room.
The bar is in the Hotel Altora in Wernigerode. I stayed there for a few days a couple of years ago, and it was pleasant if a bit basic. The beer they serve is the local Hasseroder lager, which is quite decent. If you go out of the bar into the entrance lobby and then up the stairs to the first floor, carrying your beer carefully, there's a balcony which overlooks the HSB steam shed over the road and gives you a much better view. In fact the HSB webcam is actually mounted just above the balcony, so if you look on their website then that's the view you can get sitting on the balcony drinking your beer!

https://www.hsb-wr.de/en/mehr-erkunden/webcams/fahrzeugeinsatzstelle/

If you're in Wernigerode then it's also worth checking out the 'Kleiner Harz Miniaturenpark', which is a model village with an operating O Gauge (I think. Or might be Gauge 1) railway. And the castle is worth seeing too. I had a good time on my holiday there. Enjoy!
PW

Offline PWayman

• N Gauge Society Number: 9717
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 09:57:15 am »
Wernigerode is a beautiful small town made even better by the Harz Railway.  The miniature village there is a must as there is a very large layout featuring the Brocken Mountain. It is set in the open air.  The scale is G scale,
  Wernigerode is easily accessed by DB. We travelled there from Berlin by ICE and then local train with tickets booked in England on the DB English version website.
  Whilst in Germany I would suggest a visit to Hamburg to see the huge model Railway there again moving onto Hamburg by DB via Hannover. Hamburg is an excellent City and a boat trip on the Elbe is very interesting seeing the huge container ships 50 miles from the sea.
  We had a fantastic holiday based on rail travel. Highly recommended.

Bret

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything