!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: New member. Starting out in n gauge  (Read 420 times)

Offline Cumbrian

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
New member. Starting out in n gauge
« on: April 07, 2018, 03:30:30 pm »
Hello everyone. My little boy really wants a model railway and when thinking about it, so do I! So I'm looking into a 6'x4' folding baseboard (might build my own) and have acquired a heap of 2nd hand track and points and will set about making a layout on scarm soon. I must say my initial experience of the used market on eBay hasn't been a good one. I bought a 2nd hand Hornby hm2000 controller (described as in good working order) on there and it arrived yesterday. Straight away it didn't look right and when comparing what was in front of me to the picture in the auction it wasn't even the same controller, the one I had looked much more 'used'. On moving it it sounded like it had gravel inside it! Some gravel had worked its way into one of the control knobs so it made a grinding noise when turned, the transformer buzzed ALOT when I powered it up, and when testing the outputs with my multimeter only 2 of the 4 worked and 1 of those was erratic, 13v at half speed, 9v at around 3/4 speed and 12v at full speed. I guess even with model railways you still get shysters which is a shame. Hoping none of those type of ebay types aren't on here too lol. Anyway, that's being returned at the seller's expense and I've just bought a used gaugemaster D  controller which will hopefully just work, but at least the lifetime warranty will be on hand if it doesn't.
Looking forward to learning alot fast. Not looking forward to the amount of money I'm going to spend and trying to hide purchases from the boss!
« Last Edit: April 07, 2018, 03:36:03 pm by Newportnobby, Reason: One crude description altered »

Offline port perran

• Awards
Re: New member. Starting out in n gauge
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2018, 03:37:38 pm »
Welcome aboard.
Sorry to hear of your ebay experiences but hopefully the gaugemaster will be much better.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2018, 03:40:38 pm »
Hi Cumbrian, and welcome to the forum (from someone just down the M6) :wave:
If you've never built a layout before this might help you avoid some pitfalls, although nothing can be done about an 'EBay types' (sorry, but I had to change your word).......

http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=35556.msg416493#msg416493

Don't be afraid to ask questions as the only stupid one is the one you don't ask.
The forum will save you time, money and raised blood pressure!

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 03:46:12 pm »
Hi @Cumbrian  :wave: and welcome aboard. :wave:

I'm sure you've come to the right place to learn. Forum members are informative and entertaining - I've learnt loads, and had plenty of laughs here too.

Yes, it can be an expensive hobby but doesn't have to be. At least you can supplement your hobby budget with your son's pocket money. :D
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 03:47:46 pm »
Hello Cumbrian and :welcomesign:

Sorry to hear about your unfortunate introduction to the hobby. Not all secondhand stuff is awful, and can be a good way of getting into N gauge without breaking the bank. It is a particularly good way of picking up cheap wagons and coaches. You have to be more careful with locos and track, but go to a few model railway shows and fairs and you can often pick up bargains there. Don't forget, once you have made 10 posts on this forum, you can buy and sell on the Nporium, and if the fine folk on this forum can't be trusted, nobody can!

There is a huge amount of valuable information here which can save you time, money and frustration. Ask any question you like and you will get an answer - there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Happy modelling!

Cheers,

Chris
Sometimes I sits and thinks. Sometimes I just sits.

Offline Cumbrian

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2018, 03:53:48 pm »
Sorry nobby, it was the tamest word I could think of to describe that type of ebayer, I'm very annoyed that people like that exist. At least they've lost a bit of money as they have to pay for the return!
Thanks all for the welcomes. I'll start reading up now while in bed as the little fella seems to have passed a bug on to me  :doh:

Offline Cumbrian

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2018, 03:57:18 pm »
once you have made 10 posts on this forum, you can buy and sell on the Nporium, and if the fine folk on this forum can't be trusted, nobody can!

Looking forward to getting access to this area, it should beat sifting through over priced stuff or just utter rubbish on eBay

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2018, 04:23:49 pm »
When you're feeling better how about a post telling us whether you and your son aim to model any particular location/era.
I've had a Gaugemaster twin track controller for over 30 years and it still works perfectly :)

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2018, 04:34:19 pm »
Welcome aboard.  And to the fun that is 'N' gauge.

The Gaugemaster 'D' is an excellent controller and, as you rightly say, the guarantee is as good as they come.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Cumbrian

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2018, 05:09:05 pm »
When you're feeling better how about a post telling us whether you and your son aim to model any particular location/era.
I've had a Gaugemaster twin track controller for over 30 years and it still works perfectly :)
Definitely industrial. Like the idea of a bust freight yard on one side and a two platform station on the other side with a freight/non stop middle line through the station. Might base it loosely around carlisle with it being fairly local to me, will only be loosely though as I'm not going near electric gantries and lines for trains on a first layout lol

Offline Cumbrian

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2018, 06:08:38 pm »
From having a quick looksee in the reviews section, and I know this isn't the best section to ask in but I'll ask here anyway, would I be best going for grafar/Bachmann locos to start with? Seems they are a better bet than dapol when going 2nd hand.

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2018, 06:55:26 pm »
Hi Cumbrian and welcome to this 'ere forum. There are plenty of knowledgeable and talented people here, (and 1 or 2 comedians!), so as stated, any questions, ask away. I have bought quite a few items of rolling stock on ebay and can only ever remember 2 that were not quite right. One seller refunded my money no problem and I agreed a partial refund with the other. There will always be proponents of both GF and Dapol - I am equally happy with both, although I do have more GF than Dapol.  :beers:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2018, 07:01:20 pm »
Sorry nobby, it was the tamest word I could think of to describe that type of ebayer, I'm very annoyed that people like that exist. At least they've lost a bit of money as they have to pay for the return!
Thanks all for the welcomes. I'll start reading up now while in bed as the little fella seems to have passed a bug on to me  :doh:

Welcome to our friendly forum Cumbrian, great to have you join us and you'll get all the help you'll need on here to make a great layout for the young'un.

If you are not sure what profanity to use then use the "censored" smiley   :censored: and you'll have no problems.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2018, 09:51:37 pm »
From having a quick looksee in the reviews section, and I know this isn't the best section to ask in but I'll ask here anyway, would I be best going for grafar/Bachmann locos to start with? Seems they are a better bet than dapol when going 2nd hand.

Both have their good and bad points but my recommendation is you ask about specific locos you may be interested in buying/running.

Offline Cumbrian

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2018, 10:03:45 pm »

Both have their good and bad points but my recommendation is you ask about specific locos you may be interested in buying/running.
Just stay away from old lima stuff right? I nearly bought an old class 31 on impulse as it 'seemed' cheap to me, but I decided to reign it in and have a search around on the internet for info about them, glad I did!

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here