!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Shrewford Mk2 N gauge, BR Sectorisation 1986-88  (Read 1139 times)

Offline 1977joey

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Shrewford Mk2 N gauge, BR Sectorisation 1986-88
« on: April 06, 2018, 08:51:51 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Well after a bit of an absence, i thought it time i started a new thread. I have been working on the revised version of Shrewford after the spare room in which it is housed has benefitted from being redecorated which was much needed, plus the baseboards strengthened after some slight warping.

I also felt that the original Platform layout of the real Shrewsbury is what really works best for me in the end, as I've tried a few concepts of this now, none has really worked. Also I've moved the carriage sidings so that they now sit within the station area better using curved points, it's been an expensive game, but worth it in the end.

With work getting in the way & life in general, its took almost 4 months to get the track pinned into place after sorting out the baseboards.

The station, loosely based on operations of 80's Shrewsbury will feature 7 platforms, though only 5 are in use with bay platforms 1&2 being disused with the trackwork lifted, only a stub of track will exist into platform 2 which is one of the 2 loco stabling points. Platform 3 can be used for north bound trains aswell as being used for much of the parcels services. The big island Platform features Platform 4 the main up & down Platform, bay Platforms 5 & 6 & also platform 7 for mainly southbound services though this will be operated as Bi directional as operations require...

Trains featured here passenger wise are the Provincial Express Marches line services from South wales/South West to Crewe, Manchester & Liverpool, Normally loco hauled, though Stopping services are operated by DMU's or laterly 'Sprinters'. Birmingham/Wolverhampton to Shrewford stopping or semi fast services. The line to Chester via Wrexham & the local service to Crewe operated by DMU's & Class 150 Sprinters, then also the cambrian lines to Aberystwyth & Pwllheli which are exclusively Class 150 Sprinter operated (as was in the late 80's)
InterCity services are around every 2 hours to & from London Euston, one of these, 'The Cambrian Coast Express' continues to & from Aberystwyth featuring a class 37. On summer saturdays there are 3 extra Loco hauled services down the Cambrian including 'The Snowdonian' to Pwllheli.

With modellers licence I will also run an 'InterCity 125' service between Swansea & York, & have also pinched a Network SouthEast Paddington to Wolverhampton to extend to Shrewford ( giving me an excuse to run a Class 50 when they eventually come out  ;))

So here is the revised plan & a couple of pictures showing the rescued buildings & backscene from the previous effort...

1st up is the revised plan of Shrewford

The track plan in place

& finally a drawing of mine dating back from 1999 of the first Central Trains liveried Class 158 at Shrewsbury that now hangs above Shrewford

Cheers for now :)
Mark
« Last Edit: April 06, 2018, 11:18:33 pm by 1977joey »

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Shrewford Mk2 N gauge, BR Sectorisation 1986-88
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 08:32:46 am »
That looks a fantastic layout, Mark.  The signal box is a super feature.  Is it bi-directional running on both the Up and Down lines?

Excellent drawing as well.

Best wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 09:31:29 am »
@Train Waiting
Here's a pic of the real monster, John

Offline 1977joey

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 01:19:57 pm »
That looks a fantastic layout, Mark.  The signal box is a super feature.  Is it bi-directional running on both the Up and Down lines?

Excellent drawing as well.

Best wishes.

John

Many thanks John  :thankyousign:,

Yes both lines will operate as bi directional if required, though in main practice Platform 7 is mainly for south bound services. Platform 4 while being mainly north bound has some London & Cambrian line services reverse there.

Hope this helps :)

Cheers,
Mark
« Last Edit: April 09, 2018, 01:46:43 pm by 1977joey »

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 02:04:09 pm »

Here's a pic of the real monster, John

Many thanks, Mick.  Just think what the locking must be like!

I expect that there are a lot of white levers nowadays...

Thanks again.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline 1977joey

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 08:04:07 pm »
Hi Everyone,

Over the last week or so I've managed to get the platforms constructed. I've always used the metcalf one's as they're solid once done, tho this pack I've not been too impressed with the adesive flagstone platform edging which has been lifting since it's been added on, so will have to glue it down in places.

Now all the main work is out the way such as the track plan, track pinned down & platforms are now done, I can start work on the platform canopies.

Here is how it looks as of today...

Still lots to do before proper train running can commence ha!

Cheers,
Mark

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+60)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 08:41:18 pm »
Very neat trackwork in pic 2, Mark.
I only get brickbats if I mention track being close to the edge so I'm saying nowt :zippedmouth:
If the station canopies and what lies beneath are anything like your previous version we're in for a treat.

Offline 1977joey

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 09:30:56 pm »
Very neat trackwork in pic 2, Mark.
I only get brickbats if I mention track being close to the edge so I'm saying nowt :zippedmouth:
If the station canopies and what lies beneath are anything like your previous version we're in for a treat.

Thanks Newportnobby,  :thankyousign:
As before there will be an edge next to the outermost track. The Train at platform 7 was just put there for illustration, I have tested the track but with very slow running. With the price of these trains now in no way would I leave the edge of the board unprotected in case of a would be derailment.

Many thanks regarding the remarks about the canopies. The CIS screens have been kept from before so pretty much what was seen before will reappear. The canopy over the north end of the platforms I'm going to try a more intricate design than before, so watch this space...

Cheers,
Mark

Offline 1977joey

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 10:12:51 pm »
Hi everyone,

Well almost a month past since the last update, but slowly & surely I have been constructing the Platform canopies for the north end of the station. This time I've gone for a more complex design, similar to the ready made design available from Metcalf kits, but I wanted a bash at making my own out of thick card & clear plasticard.

The design I've gone for is similar to that of the real canopy that covers the real Shrewsbury station at its north end, albeit without the tapered slant towards the edges which would have been too difficult to achieve with these materials.. This was time consuming enough to construct but well worth the effort  :thumbsup:
Here are some pictures of how it looks so far....

Construction begins...

I then mark out where I will attach each 'segment' of the new canopy roof with card

The first segment is glued into place

...Followed by more segments...

until all segments are on & & the sides made from card & slaters canopy valance are glued on

& finally placed onto the layout, some adjustments need to be done to get them properly level

The canopy along Platform 3 is yet to be finished

Cheers for now
Mark

Online Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 10:32:56 pm »
Great looking canopies.

If you don't mind me asking what clear material did you use and what did you use to get the black lines on the canopy roof?

Offline scruff

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 10:36:52 pm »
Canopy looks excellent Mark.. Keep up the good work!

Cheers
Mark

Offline 1977joey

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 11:16:38 pm »
Great looking canopies.

If you don't mind me asking what clear material did you use and what did you use to get the black lines on the canopy roof?

Hi Lindi,

Many thanks  :thumbsup:

I used clear styrene sheets, most model shops normally stock them, there are different thicknesses. I've always used these as you can make pretty much any shape & they are great for glazing.
I used thicker for the base of the canopy & thinner for the segments. The black lines I simply did with a fine Steadler permanent marker pen at every 5mm spaces to give the impression of separate panes of glass.

Hope this helps  :)

Canopy looks excellent Mark.. Keep up the good work!

Cheers
Mark

Thanks Mark  :thankyousign: Glad you like

Cheers for now,
Mark

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2018, 06:26:47 am »