!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Drilling holes in flexi track for track pins.  (Read 698 times)

Offline IkBrunel

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Drilling holes in flexi track for track pins.
« on: April 04, 2018, 09:35:19 am »
Is there a secret to drilling holes in peco flexi track. Do you use a dremmel with a small drill bit or hand powered drill and what size bit do I need?

Offline geoffc

• N Gauge Society Number: 24557
    • Awards
Re: Drilling holes in flexi track for track pins.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2018, 09:44:58 am »
I use a Dremel with a drill bit just slightly larger than the track pin. Some of the track has dimples on the underside which makes it easier to locate the drill bit. I did make up a piece of U shaped perspex to fit snugly between the rails with a hole in it so I could drill in the centre of the sleeper from above.

Geoff

Offline Carmont

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2018, 10:13:58 am »
Make sure you have a healthy supply of these small diameter drill bits, as well...........

Offline Only Me

• Reader Of The Manual
  • NGF Technician
  • Trade Count: (+16)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23206
  • Creator of Minature Masterpieces
    • Northants & Cambs Area Group of the NGS
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2018, 10:17:03 am »
I use a pin push, but on points I drill using a dremel as they plastic is harder.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2018, 10:25:34 am »
I dealt with Peco code 80, soft plastic, and gave up on it. Ended up with it being held in place by glue and ballast.

Dunno about Code 55, though.
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline ColinH

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24448
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 10:41:16 am »
I use a pin vice with a fine drill, probably 1mm but that could be a little large, depends which pins you are using.

The peco points have the holes premarked if you turn the point over. Just drill through before laying.
My layout Much Puffindun can be seen at http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=17426.msg173415#msg173415
Warning: Being a NGF member can seriously restrict your available modelling time

Online Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2018, 10:58:28 am »
I've just used a drill bit of the same diameter as the track pin. My drilling is using a dremel tool but I'm sure a pin vice would work as well. If you want to centre the hole on the sleeper a good method is to use a pin held in pliers and push into where you want the hole to be drilled. The resulting indent guides the drill bit into the proper position.

Webbo

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 11:31:41 am »

The peco points have the holes premarked if you turn the point over. Just drill through before laying.

All these years of using Peco points and I've never noticed that :doh: :dunce:
And, yeah, the plastic on the points is like toughened steel compared to flexitrack >:(

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 11:43:40 am »
I've just used a drill bit of the same diameter as the track pin. My drilling is using a dremel tool but I'm sure a pin vice would work as well. If you want to centre the hole on the sleeper a good method is to use a pin held in pliers and push into where you want the hole to be drilled. The resulting indent guides the drill bit into the proper position.

Webbo

Amazingly simple and good advice.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 11:52:21 am »
As a rule I don't pin track in scenic parts of the layout - I just don't like the look of the pins so the track is glued onto cork strip with PVA.

For fiddleyards and other hidden trackage I do sometimes pin the track. For flexi the plastic is soft so I just use a dressmaker's pin held in pliers and pushed in to pre-form a hole for the pin. For points I use a drill bit in a pin-vice and drill from underneath where the dimples are located as mentioned by others.

I use ply for my baseboards so the Peco wire pins are no use at all for me, instead I use Hornby track pins or similar, tapped in with a toffee hammer and using a punch to avoid striking the rail itself.

« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 06:51:38 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 02:27:04 pm »
I use a dremel to drill the holes,  but don't hammer pins in, I use a pin pusher, much less likely to bend a pin.  Mine is like the Proops one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?keywords=pin+pusher&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Apin+pusher&qid=1522848350&sort=price-asc-rank
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 02:31:58 pm by The Q »

Offline jpendle

• N Gauge Society Number: 23638
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2018, 05:25:25 pm »
Code 55 has partially drilled holes in the bottom. I use a pin vice to open these out. Drilling new holes is possible but I would not recommend any power tools.

What bugs me is that Peco could easily quadruple the number of partially drilled holes, to make using small sections f track easier.

Regards,

John P

Offline Papyrus

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 3333
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2018, 06:13:44 pm »
I use an Archimedes drill with a very fine drill bit - you break far fewer bits than with a power drill - then a miniature hammer for the pin itself. Pliers and pin pushers don't seem to work for me.

Cheers,

Chris
"As I always say, it's a funny old world. Do you always say that? Oh good." (Jill Tweedie)

Offline colpatben

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27022
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 07:17:21 pm »
Push the pin into the baseboard adjacent to the sleeper midway between rails, leaving 3 to 4 mm above sleeper then bend pin over to lightly trap the sleeper, the pin head should lay the other side of the sleeper.  Track can then the adjusted sideways to straighten if needbe.
 Ballast and when dry and secure remove all the pins, no holes or pin heads in sight.
Pin pusher is best and easy to set a stop with a piece of tape around the outer tube.
We never have problems, only solutions!
My Layout Link
Colin

Offline Diane

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 07:55:37 am »
I finally found a use for my Yankee candle Xmas present from secret Santa. I use it to heat up the trackpin in the flame for just a couple of seconds, five at most, and the pin will then melt at least halfway through the sleeper and will hammer without bending.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything