!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Stream on a slope  (Read 375 times)

Online bob lawrence

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Stream on a slope
« on: March 27, 2018, 11:14:51 am »
Hi, I want to make a stream which has a slight slope, as all streams and rivers have, but because of the slope I can’t use a liquid product. I have been looking at various ways of doing this and am thinking of trying clear silicon. Does anyone know if this would work? and give me some idea how to go about it.

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Stream on a slope
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 11:19:52 am »
Can you not simply angle your baseboard so the stream bed is flat while you pour? 

If your baseboard is fixed, create the stream as a separate piece that you can angle, and fit it to the baseboard after you've poured and hardened.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 11:22:45 am by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Online bob lawrence

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 05:17:19 pm »
Can you not simply angle your baseboard so the stream bed is flat while you pour? 

If your baseboard is fixed, create the stream as a separate piece that you can angle, and fit it to the baseboard after you've poured and hardened.

Baseboard is far too big and have built the stream into a hill. But thinking along the lines of creating the stream separately that might be possible, never thought of that, thanks I’ll give it a try.

Offline Jon898

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 06:20:03 pm »
Another approach is to use an artist's gloss medium over a painted streambed.  The gloss medium I use is not very runny and would stay put on a gentle slope; you just brush it on and any remaining brush strokes can look like ripples (at least to my eyes).  I'm not a fan of the poured "water" materials as I don't see any advantage in gaining "depth".  I'd avoid trying silicone in case it becomes a dust magnet.

Jon

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2018, 06:29:22 pm »
I suppose that there are 101 ways to do this.
Mine would be to make the stream bed out of filler (or similar). If it is a fast flowing stream then leave the surface rough.
Paint with the desired colour then apply 3 or 4coats of yacht varnish.
Add some more colour (contrasting but not all overto give an effect of depth) then add 3 or so more coats of yacht varnish.
If you are having a fast flowing stream add some tiny marks  white to give the effect of flowing water.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2018, 07:00:02 pm »
Might be worth painting on layers of PVA (possibly mixed with a little acrylic paint). That or the Woodland Scenics Water Effects. With that you paint it out on a flat surface like baking paper and when it dries, peel it off and stick it to the layout.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2018, 10:57:17 pm »
I have one at Castle Eden on my layout which is done with layers of gloss varnish applied with a brush.

It was made a long time ago, and to this day I'm not 100% sure it looks convincing, though.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 10:59:48 pm by Bealman »
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline The Q

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2018, 07:40:55 am »
I have in the past poured a liquid in from the top adding small quantities at a time, this allows it to flow down hill as it would naturally. It works best if its a substance that  isn't pre mixed two part, as getting the right quantity is difficult. I used thinned Yacht varnish (I sail, I have big tins of it hanging around)

It needs to be fairly runny,  so you don't get big thick blobs settling,
and a small bucket at the bottom for overflow..(don't reuse, it collects dust on the way no matter how much you clean the river bed),..
You then wait for it to dry, before the next layer, then wait a bit more, or it can go wrinkly :'(
You will also need several layers.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 07:42:57 am by The Q »

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2018, 08:29:36 am »
Streams on slopes to me mean tumbling water over rapids, bubbles and the like.

Using my seventies varnish technique, I have never been happy with the result.

All info here greatly appreciated!  :thumbsup:

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2018, 10:34:32 pm »
I know I am a bit late coming to this thread, but there is an Evo-Stik product called '007 Crystal' which might be suitable, (not exactly cheap though!). I have read somewhere on a modelling website that it is ideal for simulating water.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline Bealman

• Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2018, 11:47:08 pm »
You sure that's not a Bond bird?  ;D

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31