!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Sound for Kato multiple units?  (Read 219 times)

Offline Buffin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27205
    • Awards
Sound for Kato multiple units?
« on: March 13, 2018, 12:03:22 pm »
When I was at the excellent East of England show on Sunday, I asked the Digitrains guy whether he could do DCC sound installations in Kato multiple units if I bought one or two.

To my surprise he said he had had problems with Kato conversions in the past and wouldn't want to take that on.

Has anyone had this done successfully?

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: Sound for Kato multiple units?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 12:15:27 pm »
Kato are very slow to adopt DCC compatibility, and even now are turning out models that are very awkward to convert. Many of their models rely on Ďdrop iní decoders to their proprietary design.

They also have bulky chassis, which means performance is usually excellent, but doesnít leave much space for things like speakers. Iíd expect to be doing a lot of butchery to a chassis to convert one to sound.

Someone on here had sound-fitted a Kato Eurostar, they put the speakers in the coaches adjacent to the Power cars and hard wired them. May be an option

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 01:39:23 pm »
To my surprise he said he had had problems with Kato conversions in the past and wouldn't want to take that on.

Are you sure he wasnít thinking of Kato locos rather than multiple units?

I donít do sound, to be honest, but find Kato MUs to be very easy to fit DCC in. Acres of space and a simple wiring job.

Based on the units Iíve chipped, Iíd say sound would go in every one that Iíve tackled a lot easier than in smaller UK locomotive prototypes. How to keep the speaker from being visible through windows might be the biggest issue?

Said with the confidence of someone who has never done it, Iíd stress, and not all units are equal.

Perhaps some photos of the space in the actual units concerned might help persuade him? Or put him off even more :D

Offline railsquid

• N Gauge Society Number: 25547
    • My model railway website
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 01:47:41 pm »
Based on the units Iíve chipped, Iíd say sound would go in every one that Iíve tackled a lot easier than in smaller UK locomotive prototypes. How to keep the speaker from being visible through windows might be the biggest issue?

For commuter units, add lots of standing passengers. Lots. It will make the interior look prototypical too. Only half-joking.
Takahachikawa - Japanese and other trains

Birmingham Knotmore Street - (ex) GWR mainline through the Midlands

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 02:07:10 pm »
A lot of it does hinge on whether you're happy to permanently join units, if you are then you're away - you've got tonnes of space. Not a particularly viable solution if you're taking the unit on and off regularly though.

Offline Buffin

• N Gauge Society Number: 27205
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 03:04:29 pm »
Yes, I would run them as a set.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00