!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Rails of Sheffield  (Read 985 times)

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
Rails of Sheffield
« on: March 13, 2018, 09:01:33 am »
Anyone else had recent problems with Rails online shop?

Wanting to place an order (already registered with them) I couldn't update the quantity of the item until I got as far as checkout, then the system had a problem handling the PayPal payment

My order is still in the basket.

Have I missed something?

Dave G

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
Re: Rails of Sheffield
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:16:30 pm »
I placed an order with them last Wednesday and I seem to remember that it was not as straightforward as normal when it came to the checkout - paying by PayPal. I think I was on the checkout page three times before the order was accepted. I thought the problem may have been because I was also trying to use a £20 credit I had in my account.  :hmmm:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline Intercity

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 04:27:04 am »
I made a purchase a couple of weeks ago, it went through and was then refunded, however it wasn’t by fault of Rails, my bank decided to flag it as a suspicious transaction, after contacting the bank they said all should be good, I asked Rails to resubmit and all went through without issue.

The purchased class 68 actually arrived today (all handrails intact).

I haven’t tried the PayPal side of paying with them yet.

Any emails I sent were replied to promptly (within 24hrs business days).

IC
Support crowdfunding - it’s the way forward

Revolutions class 321 needs your help, let’s make it happen.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2018, 08:51:47 am »
Thanks guys.

A third attempt this morning worked OK with PayPal. The second try last night got as far as showing 'free postage' but then bombed when I went to pay.

Although the site may look OK (no free shipping this time), the functionality is weak and I have yet to get any response to my site-entered messages regarding the problems.

A bit disappointing, hard work and didn't leave me feeling a happy customer.

Dave G

Offline Philip.

• N Gauge Society Number: 27332
  • formally Tornado
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2018, 05:59:09 pm »
I do wish Rails would give a tracking number when they send the despatch confirmation email, every time I've had to email them and ask for it.
still trying to get the body off my 350!!!
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=42270.msg523188#msg523188

formally Tornado

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2018, 08:16:53 pm »
I've ordered some Dapol 20T minerals wagons from Rails today, although it stated they will be ordered (presumably from Dapol) on request. I have to say the last time that happened with some 'Fruit D' vans they were pretty quick to arrive. We shall see.

Offline deibid

• Next station...
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • YouTube
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2018, 10:09:10 am »
Hi! I was shocked today with the quality of RoS... I bought a second hand German loco on ebay from them and it was a total lemon! barely moving, smoke coming out of the motor... what a disappointment.
Returned it after the first test run.
This is not my usual experience with them... all second hand stuff I have ordered from them has been prime quality... why on earth did they state in the description "test run" and that's it? do they normaly behave like this? woudn't think so... do any of you have had recent problems of this kind? any drop on quality standards from RoS?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2018, 10:12:17 am by deibid »
Next station...

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2018, 11:22:08 am »
Why on earth are Rails still unable to tell their international customers how much postage is due before they have to commit to a purchase.

Offline Lindi

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2018, 11:37:24 am »
This is not my usual experience with them... all second hand stuff I have ordered from them has been prime quality... why on earth did they state in the description "test run" and that's it? do they normaly behave like this? woudn't think so... do any of you have had recent problems of this kind? any drop on quality standards from RoS?

I think I've bought three locos from them. Two were as described, the third which was bought towards the end of last year was a Farish loco that was supposedly 'test run' and in excellent condition. It was obvious from the moment it started moving that it had split gears. Negotiated a £20 refund

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 12:48:02 pm »
I've never had an issue with Rails in over 5 years. In fact, I have trained all my rellies to get their vouchers for my birthday and Christmases. It has totally ceased ghastly presents like socks, aftershave, rubbish coffee, CDs I can't stand etc etc
Sorry to hear of your problem. Please keep us posted as to their response.

Offline Graham

• N Gauge Society Number: 20459
  • Modelling modern image
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2018, 12:52:37 pm »
Why on earth are Rails still unable to tell their international customers how much postage is due before they have to commit to a purchase.

I would guess because their online system is not set up to check the weight of the goods, so can't calculate the postage. I just placed an order and received the postage price on dispatch, I had already guessed it would be 15quid and it was.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2018, 03:21:11 pm »
I think you were a bit unlucky there @deibid  ! Obviously someone not doing their job properly. I have bought a few second hand items from Rails, both loco's and wagons, and never had a problem.
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Offline petejones

• N Gauge Society Number: 23022
    • Diss Railway Station 1975
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2018, 04:10:19 pm »
I'm a recent convert to buying stuff from Rails. It comes down to the price for me, usually between Model Railways Direct, Hattons and now Rails. I also use Gaugemaster as they have free P&P in the UK, which is useful sometimes, even though their prices are usually a little more than the others.

Pete

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2018, 04:40:45 pm »
Might have been something as simple as the loco was serviced and lubricated then put aside for a while. Oil can occasionally work its way onto the commutator which would cause the symptoms you had - slow running and smoke.

Obviously they should had given it a test before dispatch, you did the right thing in rejecting it.
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline deibid

• Next station...
    • Ebay
    • Google+
    • YouTube
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2018, 05:14:59 pm »
Might have been something as simple as the loco was serviced and lubricated then put aside for a while. Oil can occasionally work its way onto the commutator which would cause the symptoms you had - slow running and smoke.

Obviously they should had given it a test before dispatch, you did the right thing in rejecting it.
I think you are spot on. The tag that they use to stick said something like 4-2017... they probably did "pass"  the test then and then not bothered to do QA before sending it.
Next station...

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £50.00
Below Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
91% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything