!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Trémargat St. Croix (a small Brittany fishing harbour)  (Read 8333 times)

Offline Train Waiting

• Trade Count: (0)
  • The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: Trémargat St. Croix (a small Brittany fishing harbour)
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2018, 08:19:34 pm »
Many thanks for these interesting photographs showing good progress.

It was lovely to see photographs of a steam train and the 150X looks like a very powerful locomotive.  Was it borrowed from the Est?

Thanks again and all the very best.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2018, 08:57:31 pm »
Looking good :thumbsup: It's coming on faster than my effort. A suggestion. Move the tunnel mouth a little further forward and put the the road crossing the tunnel and a sharp right hand bend to the station. As you have quite a tall backdrop put more cliffs behind the road to give the impression that the harbour was sited here for the protection of the cliffs against the elements. I like vertical scenery, to me it gives a greater sense of space or drama. I can't quite put it into words. :(
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2018, 09:02:59 pm »
I prefer the rocky tunnel mouth scenic piece, Chris and it will go well with Mito's suggestion, too.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2018, 07:27:55 am »
Rocky.  :thumbsup:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2018, 09:38:32 am »
Not sure how feasible this is but what if the rocks were much higher with the road also emerging from a tunnel above the railway line then descending in a gentle curve down to the harbour?
It would mean, as Mito suggests, moving the rail tunnel further forward.
If I’m talking utter nonsense just ignore me.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline AlexanderJesse

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2018, 10:18:31 am »
I also second Mito's suggestion. With the steep cliffs the village and harbour get a cozy protected look. Maybe some of the houses could len on or even extend into the cliffs.
=================
have a disney day
vapour is just water and therefor clean

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2018, 10:23:13 am »
Morning chaps.

Thanks for the replies.

Brian, Chris and Keith. Glad you like the rocks. Looking at the pics, they look better than my standing up viewing angle. Wasn't sure but think I'll go with that.

Also, Brian, will move the tunnel forward and build up the back. The right hand side land will be quite high too in the end so it will all look more uniform (and not make the back sky look too high I hope).

Operation zig zag road next. Will start on a liftoutable (breton word  :D) experiment so I can work on it on the kitchen bar, watch TV and not have the good wife sign the railway widow divorce papers.

John, yes the 150X is the beast from the East. There is a serious lack of RTR, affordable SNCF steam as far as I know and most are what the French acquired after the War (Very handy for Fleischmann, Roco, Arnold etc.).

They were being fizzled out in the Nord region by the late '50s and the Est region by the mid '60s. It was solely a heavy freight locomotive, and mainly coal, from what I've read. However, as Rule 1 (Regleun) applies, the Ouest region, being later to electrify, has acquired one (maybe more) as a nice retirement, hauling regional, national and some 'named' express passenger services as well as light freight.

My '60s stock is very minimal and funds are low but additions will be made one day. I went a bit mad with RENFE CIWL stock last year so must find out if they ever had the bogie change at the Spanish border. The only info I can get is about Talgo trains, not the ordinary coaches transferred at Hendaye.

Anyway, thanks again. Back to zig zag road planning.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2018, 10:28:41 am »
Hi Martin and Alexander.

Wasn't ignoring you, I just posted too hastely.

Thank you. All taken on board. Any help always appreciated.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2018, 12:02:13 am »
Bonsoir mes amis,

Been a while but a few things have been achieved. I don't think I said before but the budget on this build is very, very low. I have some stuff that can be used but can't afford new stuff (except for a few of the rocks but they were quite cheap) so attempted building my zig zag road just using a leftovers (not food), bit of ply, a bedding plant box and mainly cut up cork tiles.

Hope it looks OK. Needs a bit more painting and tweaking but with mod roc and shrubs I think it'll look alright. I needed to do it as wasn't sure how the station area was going to work.

I've gone back to the original idea with the station building on the main through platform as think it looks better.

Anyway pics to explain...

Looks better in situ, I think, but it needed to be portable so I could work on it downstairs. The rocks etc. are all portable too so as I think I'm happy with it I can move on to the back sky and far harbour wall to work from the back. The rocks, tunnel etc. will be stuck and landscaped properly in due course.

Hope you all think it has potential.

Few train pics in a minute but thought I'd post so far before I delete by accident.

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2018, 12:15:23 am »
 :hellosign: Nice work Chris, looking good   :thumbsup:
     regards Derek.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2018, 01:31:24 am »
Hi again,

Forgot to say, looking at the pics, the station building and a little bit of slightly longer track needs to go left to fit in a shunter loco for the harbour goods wagons. The Autocar from Erquy can still terminate there as well, not at the same time. Although blocking one siding it's France (well Brittany) and nothing is a problem (that includes how the bus is going to get round that corner on the way down  :D).

I've also been, slowly, trying to sort ebay rolling stock into some sort of order, starting with what's not damaged, got buffers, working couplings etc. Also trying to sort eras etc. as my knowledge isn't great.

So, ('70s/'80s?), an all first class special train returning from Rome to Port Regleun, with onward ferry passage to Cork, for Irish pilgrims enjoying a long Easter break. FS 1st. class UIC coaches, CIWL sleeper cars, Gril Express refreshments from Ventimiglia (hic!) and the baggage safely looked after by the SNCF....

Oh, and the wall for another overview....

Haven't stuck the goods area down yet but will do so soon and sort out some through running scenarios in the near future. The Fete du Saucisson held every year at the harbour is approaching.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2018, 02:34:51 am »
It looks very continental!  :thumbsup:

I really like the road with it's hairpin bend - reminiscent of a car chase in a James Bond movie!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2018, 07:23:24 am »
Michael Caine would easily get a bus around that bend  :beers:

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2018, 07:41:40 am »
That looks really good. I love the hairpin bend - reminds me of the one at Mawgan Porth between Newquay and Padstow.
And talking of buses - in our village they frequently cause chaos negotiating the narrow 300 degree bend by the church. Requires much tooing and froing if someone is parked in the way. All good fun.
I’m sure Derek (Cornish Yorkie) has lots of tales to tell of buses and narrow roads in Cornwall!

If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2018, 08:36:25 am »
Many thanks for these fabulous pictures.

It's great what can be achieved using 'leftovers'.  You are making very good progress.

I particularly enjoyed the photograph looking inland which, to me, is the natural viewing orientation for a layout like this (just think of Port Perran and Trepol Bay, for instance) as the naturally rising contour is very pleasing.  Your splendid wall accentuates this to great effect.

Great stuff; thank you.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything