!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Trémargat St. Croix (a small Brittany fishing harbour)  (Read 6744 times)

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Trémargat St. Croix (a small Brittany fishing harbour)
« Reply #210 on: July 30, 2018, 08:09:04 am »
Guten Morgan, Chris (Weave). Yes, Curry Wurst is very popular in the former West Germany (BRD), too. I had not realised that it had been invented in the former East (DDR).

I also remember the Frankfurt a.M. cider, 'Ebbelwei', in the local dialect, from the summer I worked in the city. It was a VERY eventful evening, in Sachsenhausen.

I'm not sure if the Ebbelwei-Express was running back in the mid-1970s (or when you were there?):

https://www.frankfurt-tourismus.de/en/Discover-Experience/City-Tours2/Tours-for-individuals/Apple-Wine-Express

Köstritzer Schwarzbier (black beer) is highly recommended and Radeberger Pilsener isn't bad.

I look forward to seeing your DB insulated ferry van in due course.

Slightly widening the causeway sounds an excellent idea. I'm still working on my embankment next to the bridge to get it 'right'. I'm glad that you liked the quite well-known Petherick Creek photo. I'm waiting for my BR Black T9 steam loco. model to make a somewhat similar photo.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 12:58:30 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated. »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #211 on: July 31, 2018, 10:55:47 am »
According to the latest edition of the N Gauge Society magazine, the "Epoch IV" UIC lettering Icfrs 400 ferry refrigerator wagon is really more Epoch III than IV as it dates from 1964: "In 1964, 19 of the vans were renumbered . . . [however,] most were phased out by 1969". So, still within my modelling period; looks like I might have to order a third one, later!

Offline weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #212 on: August 07, 2018, 09:46:08 pm »
Hello all,

As you know I'm very slow working on the layout but couldn't get Chris (IP)'s pic of Petherick Creek rail bridge and this one out of my head.....

http://www.hampshirelandscape.co.uk/photo_9393541.html

So, I decided that the earlier plan was too narrow and found another bit of wood which is 15 inches wide but not as long so liftable for house viewings. I also found some L shaped wood for it to rest on which brings the track up to 'good as damn it' level with the bridge track height.

Pics probably explain better.

The small temporary fiddle yard area from before (cleared at the moment)...

The other side with the layout minus scenery as don't want to damage anything...

The wider piece of wood to hopefully represent a causeway estuary. It would be nice to scenically attach it to the harbour but for the moment I'll keep 'em seperate except for a single track link...

Now the bridge. I only had the one truss but as I said the pics got to me so thought I'd get two more, like Petherick, with the 2 others seperated by a small island to allow for some sort of curve. Not great pics as still playing around with it all and need to cut wood etc. but hopefully gives an idea...

Bit long winded for not a lot but everything is level and the lift out bit seems to work so am pleased.

Next thing is to get some trains running.

Thanks for looking.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #213 on: August 08, 2018, 07:12:28 am »
Thanks for the update. The bridge is looking very good, Chris (Weave). I'm looking forward to seeing some trains cross it, now. 8-)

Whilst Lord and Lady Trevelver are living it up with the "Jet Set" on Myknonos, the "Chelsea Girls" are travelling around France and Spain visiting friends they had made at Trevelver Castle during the famous chefs' contest. (Story to be concluded.)

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #214 on: August 08, 2018, 07:32:05 am »
Nice bridge!  :thumbsup:

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #215 on: August 08, 2018, 08:19:05 am »
Thank you chaps,

Meant to say that I'll probably have the truss bridge at an angle from the top left as I will need a curve into the fiddle yard to get as much track there as possible so basically not straight as in the pictures below with a curve on a little island to go back up to the top right to allow for the curve round the back to connect to the layout.

Hope to set that up today to see what it looks like.

Santé weave  :beers:

Offline port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #216 on: August 08, 2018, 08:21:23 am »
Looks really good to me.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #217 on: August 08, 2018, 08:57:12 am »
Thanks for the update. The bridge is looking very good, Chris (Weave). I'm looking forward to seeing some trains cross it, now. 8-)

Whilst Lord and Lady Trevelver are living it up with the "Jet Set" on Myknonos, the "Chelsea Girls" are travelling around France and Spain visiting friends they had made at Trevelver Castle during the famous chefs' contest. (Story to be concluded.)

Morning Chris (IP),

I have more Spanish rolling stock than French from your era and they could do with a run so when I get the bridge up and running soon there will be pics of very similar bridges around the Iberian peninsula.

As I said before, I hope to post the 'through wagon' liveries list and characters on the first page of this thread for reference so could you please (sorry) let me know the Chelsea Girls' names again + any others if not too much trouble. At you leisure even if just the Girls to make a start.

Gracias Chris (weave) :beers:

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 08:58:14 am by weave »

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #218 on: August 08, 2018, 09:24:58 am »
Thanks, Chris. I'm delighted to provide an excuse for you to run your Spanish trains, too. So, here's the requested info.

THE CHELSEA GIRLS AND FRIENDS & RELATIONS:

Sylvia (Trevelver) (big, brown eyes, long brunette / sometimes dyed auburn -- hair)
Eli (Elayne Guillou) - originally long, sometimes short, auburn hair
'Big' Belinda (blonde)
Suzi (long, dark wavy blonde hair, brown eyes),
Monique, French model (brunette)
Jenny (blonde),
Angela (curly, longhaired brunette) -- very methodical; the organiser

Jeremy Corentyn Cador, the dashing Royal Navy Captain (Sylvia's 'squeeze')

Giles Roskrow, the Chelsea wine importer (ex-SAS)

George (older brother of Sylvia, reprobate; German hippy wife, Brigita; publisher of the risque gentlemen's magazine, "Avant".

More about ELI:

Eli drives a metallic blue Citroën DS

A recent addition to the 'Chelsea Girls' is Elayne Guillou, of Port Regleun near St. Brieuc, Brittany, a very talented graphic artist from Brittany, who Sylvia befriended at leading London advertising agency, S H Benson Ltd., where they both worked. Eli, as the "Girls" call her, has the typical Celtic pale skin, freckles, and (long, flowing) red hair and a lively, extrovert personality to match.

Eli is very fond of Breton cidre with its rich, full-bodied, rustic flavours, and fruity, floral and spicy notes and has introduced the 'Girls' to it, too. Sylvia recommended, to her parents, that they import some of the best Breton artisan cidre and add it to the product range distributed by the "Castle Brewery", alongside the popular "Sam's Cider" from Somerset, as a premium product for connoisseurs of traditional cider.

The latest addition to the "Chelsea Girls" is, of course, Sofia, the beautiful daughter of Jose Maria de la Vega, the mayor of Sant Cristofol (capital of the Principat de Guin). She has long, glossy black lashes framing her large brown eyes. She has a narrow nose set above full, shining red lips. Her thick black eyebrows arch in perfect curves across a smooth brow framed by her wavy black hair. Like all her features, her ears were in precise harmony with the whole: small and delicate. Her voice is husky, low and naturally seductive.

Hope that helps. 8-)
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:42:07 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Corrected. »

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #219 on: August 08, 2018, 11:11:59 am »
Hi Chris (IP),

Thank for that.

Have started the reference point for liveries and characters. It's at the end of my very first post on here after the first  :beers:.

Hope it'll be of help to others but will certainly help me. I'm very much a write things on paper person but then am also very much a filing idiot  :doh:.

Cheers Chris (weave)  :beers:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 12:08:40 pm by weave »

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #220 on: August 08, 2018, 11:34:54 am »
You folk have been having a bit of warm weather....

Hope the bridge doesn't melt in front of that window!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #221 on: August 09, 2018, 03:22:38 pm »
According to the latest edition of the N Gauge Society magazine, the "Epoch IV" UIC lettering Icfrs 400 ferry refrigerator wagon is really more Epoch III than IV as it dates from 1964: "In 1964, 19 of the vans were renumbered . . . [however,] most were phased out by 1969". So, still within my modelling period; looks like I might have to order a third one, later!

Hi Chris, I have just ordered a third one:
freight wagon ferry boat cooling wagon Icfrs 400 Interfrigo DB era IV
No.: MU_N-G56014, as described, above.
As that is closer to your era, you may want to order that DB one and not the earlier?

Offline wookie

• N Gauge Society Number: 24741
    • Awards
« Reply #222 on: August 09, 2018, 07:28:27 pm »
I like the look of that bridge....

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #223 on: August 16, 2018, 09:59:42 pm »
Bonjour again,

Had a few probs with the mobile phone camera link but sorted now.

Not a great deal done but regarding the bridge I decided to just have the three truss bridge things and not have it as a half moon with an island as I thought it would look wrong and there probably wouldn't be enough space (there's enough curve to join to the harbour layout).

I'm thinking a tunnel mouth for the harbour layout end and a hill to hide the entrance to the little fiddle yard t'other?

Not great pics but here we go.....

Any input always appreciated. By the way, nothing is stuck, wood needs cutting but seems solid.

PS. There will be Spanish 1960's trains seen crossing the bridge in a while so might be better pics. Will explain.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2018, 10:05:25 pm by weave »

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #224 on: August 17, 2018, 12:49:07 am »
I'll stick with good evening all, less complicated.

For those familiar with Chris in Prague's (Cant Cove/Penmayne layout) Chelsea Girls, they are on (or have been on) a touring holiday of France and Spain.

With the building of the bridge outside Trémargat St. Croix, which is pretty nondescript at the moment, I thought it a good chance to sort out my Spanish rolling stock (from an earlier but not forgotten layout) and post a few pics.

So an attempt at a story  :worried:

A few of the Chelsea Girls, while visiting the Principat d'Izaro, had overheard José Maria de La Vega (mayor and businessman) and father of their new friend Sofi talking about a trip to Lisbon regarding interest in the Principality's fine bespoke furniture. Supplies of quality timber from Cornwall had already been negotiated.

The Chelsea Girls knew of this but were far more interested in seeing the 'City of Light'. After not a lot of persuading José gave in (how could he not to such beauty).

They set off from Sant Cristofol for Madrid on a normal express in the morning and had to change there. The Girl's were a little peeved as it wasn't really what they were expecting, especially as they had brought a lot of luggage.

The Lusitania (Madrid - Lisbon) was a bit more like it and they arrived in Lisbon afresh and keen to see the city.

The Girls had a fantastic time taking in all the sights and sounds and José Maria de La Vega had very encouraging
talks with Jorgios Carvalho, a prominent businessman in furniture amongst other things and, with his connections in the North, a large exporter of Port to the rest of Europe.

They all met for lunch on the day of departure and the Chelsea Girls were very taken with the handsome Portuguese entrepreneur. One of the Girls, in passing, had mentioned the 'not very nice' train from Izaro to Madrid
and the luggage transfer problem. Jorgios smiled and said, in fluent English 'don't worry ladies, I have already agreed to return with José to Izaro as I would like to see the furniture production process for myself'.

'I have connections with Comboios de Portugal and have arranged for a special sleeping car for us all to be attached to the 'Sud Express' bound for Paris. At Miranda de Ebro the coach will be detached and then attached to the 'Exprés Costa Vasca' from Bilbao to San Cristofol'. 'No changes required'.

After their long lunch everyone went back to their hotel to pack and then on to Santa Apolonia station to board the train.

After a long and boozy day everyone was so pleased to settle down in their individual compartments in the Portuguese CIWL sleeper for the journey to Spain.

The RENFE series 18xx heading the Sud Express from the Spanish border pulls into Miranda de Ebro station early morning.......

The sleeper car is uncoupled and the Sud Express continues it's journey to the French border at Hendaye and then on to Paris...

As there is no sign of the train from Bilbao, one of the Chelsea Girls, who can't sleep for some reason, decides to go for a little walk. The station is pretty much deserted at that hour in the morning but when she returns she is rather annoyed and upset that the sleeping car has been moved to a siding...

Just then she hears the whistle of the Esprés Costa Vasca .....

She also sees a man opening up the station building who assures her not to panic and that her coach will be attached to the train...

With all the shunting most of the occupants have woken and are looking forward to a previously arranged breakfast on the first class express.

The RENFE 141F rounds the sharp curve towards the Ebro bridge....

Pullman car serving breakfast with luxury Butacas saloon cars on either side....

The Exprés Costa Vasca makes it way across the Ebro bridge on it's way to Izaro...

While the two Gentleman continued their business chat with a coffee and a brandy, the Chelsea Girls were prying as to why had one of them suddenly gone for that walk. The girl in question seemed to have calmed from the initial panic of being left behind but her friends weren't sure if she had a glint in her eye or maybe a tear  ;)

« Last Edit: August 17, 2018, 09:00:31 am by weave »

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here