!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Trémargat St. Croix (a small Brittany fishing harbour)  (Read 6009 times)

Offline JohnN

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Trémargat St. Croix (a small Brittany fishing harbour)
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2018, 09:24:34 pm »
You're obviously one of them posh types wot drink it out of a wine glass and not a pint jug then.   ::)   :P

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2018, 10:37:16 pm »
Why bother with a glass? That's what straws are for :o
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2018, 11:04:17 pm »
 :hellosign: Off to a great start Chris, looking forward to developments
        regards Derek.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 11:21:34 pm »
Bonjour mes amis,

Sorry no updates. Been bit bogged down in juggling work with watching racing at the Cheltenham Festival and thinking of excuses why I have even less money than I had on Monday  :doh:

Have done a bit of train stuff though.  Brian (regarding extra siding) and Steve (re: cutting), thank you. Wasn't sure myself so have had a bit of a play.

I cut the Unitram track to fit with a point to make an extra siding. The thing is I wasn't really happy before with the way the curve goes round the back of the terminus station track.

After cutting the tram track and realising that the autocar doesn't mind the curve I quite liked the look of it with the station building at the new siding with just an additional platform for through trains.

I'm going to do some maps (sorry I like maps to get my head round where the trains are coming/going) of the area in a bit but there were real metre gauge railways around a lot of the Brittany coasts so thought it has just been adapted by the SNCF for their purposes. I wanted a double tunnel portal as Continental coaches don't like single ones on a curve, so maybe ripped up track on one side (or even rusty Z gauge track from the old metre gauge line).

Enough waffling. Few pics. What do you all think if it has all made sense? PS Tunnel portal is from other layout, maybe used with cutting and the brown platform used for spacing will be painted properly....

Thanks for viewing and any input always appreciated. Home made map ( I was bored when the forum went offline earlier in the week) to follow.

Cheers weave  :beers:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 11:33:23 pm by weave »

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 11:40:03 pm »
I like it :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline BoxTunnel

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2018, 01:07:16 am »
I am sure that I am not the only one on this forum who has a fascination with maps, bring 'em on!

Graham, needs a map to the loo, sharpish!
"I don't think anybody is anybody else's moral compass. Maybe listening to my music is not the best idea if you live a very constricted life. Or maybe it is." - Lou Reed.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2018, 04:03:06 am »
Hi again,

Decided to go to bed earlier but the dogs woke me up to play (OK, just p) in the snow.

For those who don't know Brittany here's a map link (Map 2 being the rail map)...

https://gitelink.com/brittany/brittany-maps.htm

As I said in the last post I got bored and decided to do a homemade map of the Port Regleun area. I don't think I'll win any cartography awards but hopefully gives an idea of where Trémargat St. Croix (TSC) is in the scheme of things....

Port Regleun and Trémargat will be the main big layout in the future but for operational interest (have mentioned before but for clarity) TSC has local and regional trains anyway...

ERQUY - TRÉMARGAT St. CROIX

ERQUY - TSC -St. BRIEUC - LOUDÉAC

PORT REGLEUN - TSC - St. BRIEUC - GUINGAMP - MORLAIX - BREST

On different operating times the bridge is out between Port Regleun and Lamballe so all boat trains and train ferry trains to a multitude of places are diverted via St. Brieuc or likewise the other bridge is out between St. Brieuc and Lamballe diverting trains on the Brest - Paris and Brest - Caen (Normandie) routes.

There is also the fictional island (Ile de Guin) which has a small ferry service from TSC. This departs from a jetty the other side of the harbour wall at low tide and from the harbour itself at normal/high tide. I might do a small scenic bit of the island with the ferry and perhaps a small tram (all depends how long the house move is).

Closer pic of the childlike map (I got a B- by the way but then again they thought I was 12  :D)...

Will probably need to add more when St. Patrick and his devil's water finally leaves and reality kicks in.

Until then,

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2018, 04:44:54 am »
Nothing wrong with that map, buddy!  :beers:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2018, 06:58:50 am »
Hi Chris

Regarding your need for a double tunnel portal, I wonder if lifting a single portal might give you enough wriggle room to get a coach through? I had this problem with one of my tunnel portals on a curve which had problems with passing 89' (scale) auto racks which are pretty high. Solution was to raise the tunnel portal a few mm which gave me a whopping 1 mm or so of clearance - enough.

Webbo

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2018, 07:19:51 am »
Having visited Webbo's wonderful layout, I can assure you it is a workable solution!  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2018, 08:44:35 am »
Great progress and the map is ideal - thank you very much for preparing it. 

I am delighted that I now have the location fixed in my head.

I'm going to really enjoy this layout...

Best wishes

John

PS If you really want to see what a child-like map looks like, just look on my Table-Top Railway thread to see infantile crayoning all over one of those lovely NER tiled maps!  :unimpressed:
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2018, 09:14:27 am »
Many thanks, Chris, for this very useful maps. Good to see the West Porthsea rail ferry link shewn (as the GWR spelt it).

Online cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2018, 04:14:40 pm »
 :hellosign:Yes the home drawn map is ideal for locating your layout's position on the Brittany coast, well drawn.
    The tram tracks looking good nice work
    regards Derek.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2018, 04:57:51 pm »
Thank you for the map.
As with the others, it gives a sound indication as to what’s where!
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 10:22:18 am »
Hi all and thanks for the responses.

A bit of progress has been made but not a lot in that I wanted to fit the backboard on the LHS to see what various tunnel solutions would look like. Another problem is that there is no real access to the harbour (remembering there's a wall at the front) so was thinking of a zig zag road over the tunnel mouth and down to the station.

It only has to be a small country road but would like a bus to be able to use it. Fitting it in (in my head) is a dilemma. Except for the concept, I'm very much making a lot of things up as I go along so you'll have to bear with me.

The backboard was a right whatever to attach to the curved bit but think looks OK. All learning curves for future scenery as that is the main reason (besides running trains) for the layout.

So, sky backboard in place this side, although needs bit of filler before probably painting rather than backscene paper  :worried:......

There is now a fascia board on the other side to prevent accidents. Might need lifting though.

Have been playing with platforms re access to through rail line and rest of harbour for pedestrians/ scooters etc. Not sure yet......

OK, tunnel mouths. Have got 2 pre bought options of single tunnel mouths which both passed the long continental coach and Autocar on a curve test (although very tight). They would both need a lot of blending in (gorse bushes etc.) and I need to get my head around the zig zag road.

There will be rocks but not sure if the first one is too rocky. I might go for something else but few pics if anyone has an opinion. As usual all of my pics aren't great due to camera phone....

Thanks for reading. I'll leave you with some not great pics from the '60s of the Brest - Port Regleun service negotiating the more rocky tunnel portal....

Back to work and thinking about road access dimensions,

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £45.00
Below Goal: £10.00
Site Currency: GBP
82% 
September Donations

Advertise Here