!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Trémargat St. Croix (a small Brittany fishing harbour)  (Read 8331 times)

Offline weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Trémargat St. Croix (a small Brittany fishing harbour)
« on: March 12, 2018, 11:55:46 pm »
Hi all (again),

For those that don't know, 2 layouts on hold, one being a Brittany ferry port (Port Regleun) due to a house move.

Had to dismantle most stuff for viewings but have joined the growing band of smaller layout builders to keep the mojo going, practice some scenery skills (or lack of) and run some trains (mainly to watch the 'old' brand new ones and shout at the ebay purchases  :D).

Trémargat St. Croix is a small fishing harbour situated between Port Regleun and St. Brieuc in Brittany. It's not on the main line as just a single track roundy with a couple of sidings for interest but there will be bridge problems on the main Brest - Paris line and Rennes - Port Regleun line (map to follow another day to explain).

My computer is being a right whatever at the moment regarding typing so will try and post some pics with hopefully some commentary and move onward and upward in the next few weeks (months) with proper explanations .

The layout, like the other two, will be set in the '60s and the '80s/'90s on different operating days (few train pics today are just '80s/'90s).

The layout as it is to work on ...

Precarious pics as nothing stuck and backboards need cutting so just to give you an idea of what it might look like. Wall and rocks at front and sides, harbour wall at back against skyline, not a lot of track will be seen because of the tunnels but enough I hope for my (and others) interest but trying to concentrate on the scenery. Need to make the edges safe before the 'you need to make the edges safe' delegates arrive  :D)...

Pic of back of sky as the layout might be incorporated into the future 'proper' Port Regleun one...

Temporary fiddle yard...

Wired up controller (no pics of the really wired up controller but it does show his refreshments  :))...

Few train pics. The line is non electrified (not to spoil the '60s running) so due to the bridge problems a redirected Transcéréales freight from Western Brittany is pulled by BB67382 from St. Brieuc to Lamballe where the BB 25561 electric locomotive will take charge again...

The TSC to Erquy railcar waits in what will be a station while one of the last 'ski trains' to Bourg St. Maurice and Grenoble via Chambery appears...

The ski train, consisting of 3 Piko 2nd class couchettes, 1 Arnold TEN sleeper and 1 Piko 1st class couchette would eventually appear through the double tunnel mouth shown earlier. The real 'fictional' (if that makes sense) point is just inside the tunnel mouth which cant be modelled as Kato don't do curved points. The British and Irish tourists from their respective ferries are all enjoying a few drinks in the Lima Gril Express car not bothered that their train has been redirected another way due to a different bridge problem or that I cant find the Piko Bar Corail coach that looks better..

The typing problem seemed to mend itself so sorry for waffling on.

Hope to waffle some more soon if anyone's interested and get on with some scenery especially round the harbour area. That'll be tide out as another experiment and if I goes wrong then tide in. Bored you all enough now, I'll leave it there.

Cheers weave  :beers:

BIG EDIT. Hello all. I don't want to confuse anyone, especially newcomers, but to explain, there is a 'through running' thing with several Forum members where people with different layouts have the same wagons, coaches etc. and photograph them as if they have travelled around the country and across the Channel (in my case) to France and Spain.

There are also stories written by some members with character names who travel on board the trains or send goods etc. and I always lose track (no pun) as to which wagons are which and who's who.

Therefore I thought I'd start a reference point to help me (and others I think) for wagon liveries and character names. I could have started a new thread but thought that if people start adding to it, it would become complicated again so thought I could keep it all here and add/amend as appropriate. There are more detailed descriptions on here and elsewhere but am just making a start.

WAGON LIVERIES -

Martin (Port Perran/Trepol Bay)-

DARK BROWN/ BLACK (with gold flash)                           HEADLAND BREWERY

TERRACOTTA                                                                James & Sons Ltd. Granite Merchants

DARK GREEN                                                                 Messrs. Prish & Jones Fruit and Veg wholesalers

RED                                                                              Port Perran Timber Company

Chris in Prague (Cant Cove (and Penmayne))-

DARK BLUE                                                                    CASTLE BREWERY

LIGHT BLUE                                                                   CASTLE ESTATES

SATIN ORANGE                                                              North Cornwall Pasty Co.

Brian (Mito)-

APPLE GREEN                                                                 SAM'S CIDER

PURPLE/RED                                                                   CREECH BREWERY

Mike-

DARK BLUE ?                                                                  GUNNING'S BREWERY

LIST OF CHARACTERS-

THE CHELSEA GIRLS-

Sylvia (Trevelver)

Eli (Elayne Guillou) (from Brittany)

Belinda

Suzi

Monique

Jenny

Angela

Sofia (de la Vega) (from the Principat d'Izaro)

OTHER CHARACTERS-

Jeremy Coretyn Cador (Sylvia's boyfriend)

Giles Roskrow (Chelsea wine importer)

George (Sylvia's brother)

Brigita (George's wife) (from Germany)

Will add/amend in the future and hope the page doesn't explode for being too long  :worried:

« Last Edit: August 08, 2018, 11:02:29 am by weave »

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Re: Trémargat St. Croix (a small Brittany fishing harbour)
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 12:08:16 am »
Great pics!! It's going to be a really nice little layout.  :thumbsup:

I like the idea of the tide being out, you can model pools and boats sitting on their keels, etc. As you say, if it turns pear-shaped you can always bring the tide in.

Glad you pre-empted NewportNobby with the proximity of the track to the baseboard edge! He'd be the first to be on your back about it!  ;)

Looking forward to progress reports.

George
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline MalcolmInN

• Trade Count: (+1)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 12:29:45 am »
Hi all (again),
The real 'fictional' (if that makes sense)
Absoluemont mon brave <should that have an acute é ?

looking good  :thumbsup:

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 06:49:45 am »
That looks like a very good start!
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 07:28:41 am »
That looks like a very good start!

Seconded! I do hope that you'll be able to progress on this layout, Chris, as it already looks as though it will be very attractive. I do like the ski train. The "Chelsea Girls" will be paying a visit to Trémargat St. Croix from Port Regleun. They are looking forward to seeing this picturesque little port and enjoying some fresh sea food in a cosy little bistro and drinks by the harbour.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 07:45:40 am »
Excellent. Nice to see yet another small layout developing.
Keep the pictures flowing.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 08:41:39 am »
This looks fascinating.  Great idea to have it set in France as that is a little bit different.  I look forward to lots more pictures.

Two very interesting specifics:

Clever use of a 15 degree Kato curve after the #6 turnout to have a closer track spacing for the 'front siding' than with the normally-used 718 radius curve.  I'm guessing it is either a 282 or 315 radius curve.

Excellent drinks cabinet built into the back of the control panel.  And a prototypical refreshment as well.  According to the late (and much missed) Mr Hardy, "Un bon petit coup de rouge!" was quite the thing in steam days, but rightly stopped with diesel and electric traction.

Bonne santé, mon ami.

Jean
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 09:35:14 am »
A lovely idea and coming on very well.

We love France but only been to Nord Pas de Calais, Normandy and Loire, however close friends have moved to Brittany. We went to visit them for the first time last year catching the Plymouth to Roscof ferry and it certainly is a beautiful region. We'll be back out to see them soon I hope.

Looking forward to further updates and on your other layout once the house move is completed.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 11:34:35 am »
Thank you all,

It has taken me ages to get my head around a small layout as it has never been what I really wanted but after great inspiration from the other small layouts on here (you know who you are) I'm really looking forward to the scenic side while watching expresses trundle through and operating a few local trains and a bit of shunting while waiting for things to stick.

Bit of additional info....

The points are all Kato #6 ones as didn't want to risk the #4 troubles. I do have some but on a sort of test ages ago the railcar never liked them. It meant space constraints but I prefer easy running.

The siding against the harbour wall, if anyone confused, will just be a single track. I've used the Kato tram track so I don't have to do the filling in myself. Tried that once and it looked awful. The surrounding tram track will be filled and all painted grey.

The siding will be mainly for loading fish but will be useful for supplying goods for the market and various planned festivals......

Regarding that, the 2 Vollmer? buildings on the other side are 5 storey town houses. These look too big for a small harbour so one of many experiments is to have them on the level they are ie. the sea bed and build up the quay so they are 3 storey which is more like my memories and certainly the pics on line. The third floor has one ornate window which can be adapted into a door (I hope). They'll be bars/restaurants so I think with canopies to protect the clientele they should look OK.

Also, another experiment, the bit in front of the 2 (maybe more) buildings will be a lift out section of the quay with different replaceable sections, various scenarios (market day, Celtic music festivals etc.). Also, although the harbour wont have changed much over the years, it means I can have different trends/signage etc for the different eras.

All things to keep my brain busy.

Hopefully some '60s train pics later. Unfortunately, my Rivarossi 231 has died but might be resurrected by someone who knows what they're doing. The 150 X (not from that area in real life) and BB 63000 diesel (built 1962 and was everywhere) will have to do until I can find some money for more stock. SNCF steam is rather limited. There is an REE Modeles era III railcar in an off green and cream colour, which was based at Rennes, on my wish list. Birthday not til September though :(.

Need to work on some PO wagons too.

Cheers for reading, weave  :beers:

« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 11:44:06 pm by weave »

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 11:45:39 am »
The surrounding tram track will be filled and all painted grey.

Might be easier and neater to just saw down the middle?

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 12:43:43 pm »
Hi Steve,

Thanks, know what you mean but bit late. The white bits are cut cork tiles (x2) which are flush with the tram track. Have run out of grey paint so a sort of primer.

More cork will be used to fill the area in front of the tram track toward the camera and going round the harbour walls so it's all hard standing pedestrian access.

I might just fill the short bit of track, top left, and leave the long bottom right bit as rusty disused track with an imaginary tarmaced over point.

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 01:28:31 pm »
Ah, sorry! Didn’t realise that much had actually been stuck in place :thumbsup:

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2018, 04:26:30 pm »
Howdo, just checking in, any chance of a trade deal between Milliedale-on-Sea and Trémargat St. Croix?

We're in need of wine in exchange for beer :)

Looking forward to seeing progress

Online Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2018, 07:51:25 pm »
Great pics!!

Glad you pre-empted NewportNobby with the proximity of the track to the baseboard edge! He'd be the first to be on your back about it!  ;)

Someone rattle my cage?
At least it's sunk in so I won't apologise for banging on about it :no:

Wired up controller (no pics of the really wired up controller but it does show his refreshments  :))...

:laughabovepost:

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2018, 08:51:25 pm »
A nice layout. :thumbsup: One thought, the quayside track, would it be possible to extend the siding a bit and put a second RH point to the inner track? It would give a little more storage. One mistake I made was not making a suitable refreshment bar :beers:

And for the Mods, can we have a wine smiley for the more sophisticated of us here! :P
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything