!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Modelling Swiss narrow gauge in 1:150th scale  (Read 4815 times)

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
Modelling Swiss narrow gauge in 1:150th scale
« on: March 06, 2018, 11:49:24 am »
we are lurking!

Do you want to keep the MDS thread separate or merge it here

Railwaygun
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline Mike Beard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22460
    • Awards
Re: Modelling Swiss narrow gauge in 1:150th scale
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2018, 02:02:55 pm »
For me the MDS thread should be left because they do other things and will probably confound us all at one stage by making standard gauge N gauge rolling stock in 1:160th scale.

Perhaps you could add a postscript to those locked threads as a pointer to this thread.

Thank You ,

Mike Beard

Offline red_death

• Revolution Trains
  • Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+1)
    • DEMU - the society for Diesel & Electric modellers of all scales
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2018, 03:01:58 pm »
I know the mods have had a bit of trouble (perhaps an understatement!) keeping everyone happy but I thought it was a great shame that the RhB thread got locked - it made for some interesting reading (as did discussing the success of the range with Mr Kato!).

If possible I'd like to see it re-opened (it seems wasteful to start a new thread without all the pre-existing information).

Cheers, Mike

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2018, 03:13:39 pm »
I think the Kato Swiss thread was a victim of its own success in as much as it out grew its rather narrow title. I for one am hoping that by expanding the title we can still chat within its confines and not attract too much attention. Lively discussion can be unnerving for some, inspirational to others.

My oft discussed parcel arrived from Plaza Japan today. It all looks very nice but unfortunately I had to have the back of my eyes photographed almost immediately afterwards so no piccys until tomorrow but one thing I had not taken on board is just how much longer a III is than a II.

Happy Modelling,

Mike Beard. 

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2018, 04:14:49 pm »
Thirded.

It's been reported that the mods were only reacting in response to reports from the contributors, but most seem to have been quite vocal in not wanting it closed. If you get one person reporting they're not happy, and ten who are happy and (obviously) aren't reporting it, who should you respond to? That's rhetorical, incidentally. Like Mike I realise the mods are trying to please everyone, which will never happen.

Online daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 06:18:50 pm »
It would be preferable to continue the Kato RhB thread as there is a lot of quality relevant information and discussion about the Kato series.

I like things to be simplistic, but if we group ALL matters relating to the RhB - Kato, MDS, any new manufacturer who comes on to the scene, real Railway items, individuals layout plans and construction, etc etc - I believe we will end up with a very chaotic single thread that will not easily sit within the framework of this Forum.

This is why I established two threads, one for MDS Modell items (a growing area of discussion once they are released to members), and another for photos and videos of real RhB items.

I therefore feel that to merge these threads into one composite whole will only lead, once again, to the confusion of discussions and content the Kato RhB thread was exhibiting of late.

So my suggestion would be to reopen the Kato thread under its original name, but keep the posts within it upon that subject, and retain the MDS thread and Real Railways thread, and any other threads that members would wish to start to illustrate and discuss their own layouts (as is the norm here).

Just my view.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 06:21:35 pm by daffy, Reason: Spelling and grammar »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2018, 06:33:39 pm »
Lets not strangle the baby at birth. Lets give it a chance to see how it grows. We've had a loud warning shot across our bows and a gentle nudge from a Moderator every so often would not come amiss. Often an outsider can see things more objectively than an insider.

The MDS thread is still open, I believe, and the other threads are frozen, not deleted so we can refer back to them. Some notification prior to being taken down would be appreciated so we can copy to here the vital bits, like how to remove a III loco body and decoder types and stuff like that.

The RhB is not a big railway and just how much "noise" can it generate?

Happy Modelling,

Mike Beard.

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2018, 06:45:37 pm »
As things have now quietened down the original Kato Rhaetische Bahn series has now been unlocked so that its useful information is not lost.

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2018, 06:53:05 pm »
We now have the best of both worlds - Thank You.

Mike Beard

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 03:18:20 pm »
Future Rolling Stock Needs

I was thinking about what I would like to be added to the available range of rolling stock. The most obvious candidate is a luggage/brake van with or without pantograph. The EW1's are so typical I doubt there will be any further coaches for a long while. Freight wagons are more the focus of my mind. Now we "already have" the curtain wall van in most liveries except RhB. I wonder why? :sleep:

Following from that I'd like an injection moulded flat wagon as they can be seen carrying all sorts and then it's a toss-up between a depressed centre wagon or a tanker, both are so typical. In all that's only 4 extra vehicles and they would change the face modelling the RhB. :D

As the containers that are generally loaded are so different to each other I'd suggest a 3D print cleaned up and used as a resin master to produce these. It's interesting because the model aircraft hobby is streets ahead of model railways in the application of resin parts. I suppose it's because aircraft are worldwide while railways are somewhat parohcial.

One thing I don't want is the new 6/7 coach sets as the expense of tooling would be huge as seemingly every coach is different. :no:

Just my thoughts, :dunce:

Mike Beard

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2018, 01:04:34 am »
Now we "already have" the curtain wall van in most liveries except RhB. I wonder why? :sleep:

Following from that I'd like an injection moulded flat wagon

the MDS wagons do include 'plain' RhB:
5131 in RhB red band, 5169 in RhB blue band

Flat wagons promised a couple of years ago by Pirata but seem to have disappeared:
http://www.winco.uk.com/Piratamain.html

btw, RhB vans are not curtain sided, they are all solid sided.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 01:06:09 am by Gordon »
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2018, 03:56:11 am »
Flat wagons promised a couple of years ago by Pirata but seem to have disappeared:

Maybe there weren't enough people who did read this:

We would be pleased to take your advance orders using our pre-order scheme.

steve

Offline marco neri

• Trade Count: (+2)
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2018, 01:48:52 pm »
Hi all.
I think will  meet’em at Verona Model Expo/Verona Fair   next 17/18 ( the most important fair/expo model railroading in Italy) and I will ask them some informations about Rhb releases.

Cheers

Marco
...never turn you back on the ripper (judas priest)

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2018, 02:40:17 pm »
I emailed them earlier today but I don't expect a quick reply. Perhaps a face, waving Euro's??, might change their mind, who knows. As they were going to model the most often seen wagon it's a bit of a sad loss if they don't. On the other hand if they talk to MDS-Modell perhaps we might get some co-operation rather than duplication? I do hope so, the bag is too small to support 2 of things.

Happy Times,

Mike Beard.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2018, 02:55:17 pm »

Maybe there weren't enough people who did read this:

We would be pleased to take your advance orders using our pre-order scheme.

Peter & Yvonne at Winco are winding down, and they're just a retailer (and importer) anyway, so anything on their site bears no real relevance to what Pirata themselves are doing. Rather they're just saying "to avoid missing out, put in a pre-order", and who can blame them!

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything