!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Southern Region and Golden Arrow Locos, S15 and N15  (Read 671 times)

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
Southern Region and Golden Arrow Locos, S15 and N15
« on: March 04, 2018, 04:45:04 pm »
As I indicated in my thread on the Golden Arrow coaches, I planned to build some suitable locomotives to pull the trains.

My first conversion of Holland Africa Line was featured and is shown again here.

Next to build are an N15 and an S15 installing DCC sound as is my preference.  Both are rather old white metal kits and they will need a lot of work.  Fortunately the castings I have are reasonably sharp and capable of being soldered, which makes filing joins much easier as the solder and the white metal wears at the same rate, unlike a glue join.

Progress so far has been the trimming and soldering of the largest components.  This is reasonably straight forward apart from the King Arthur tender bogies which are just a nightmare and require a jig to assemble.  Next I have cut them to fit their respective chassis and I have ground out any protrusions that will limit fitting The DCC chips.

My biggest problem will be getting reliable pickup for the DCC chip as both tenders cannot be fitted with pickups.  Fortunately the loco bodies are heavy enough and the pickups look to be good.

Post soldering:

« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 05:43:16 pm by Snowwolflair »

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
Re: Southern Region and Golden Arrow Locos, S15 and N15
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 09:16:37 pm »
This is why white metal models get a bad reputation.  I have no idea what you do in the casting to get this but it will have to be fixed.   

The chimney is completely on the  :censored:, and the dome is not far behind it. The whistle and rear dome look fine, and the handrails will pass muster.  I am not the first to spot this problem as the kit I have, bought second hand, has a spare chimney, but its the wrong one.  This is possibly why it was cheap on eBay.

I think I shall be visiting NBrass for a few parts.

Offline JohnN

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 11:28:48 pm »
Yeah that does look a bit wonky.  :worried:

An interesting project though. I've never built a white metal kit before but would like to try one at some point.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2018, 11:31:12 pm »
I find that you have to be prepared to replace the fittings like domes, chimneys and buffers with brass parts.  The improvement is significant.  The one good thing is the traction due to the weight.

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 11:33:28 pm »
I imagine the white metal is quite soft?

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 11:35:29 pm »
Yes easy to cut and shape but hard enough to take knocks.  You also have to prep the surface well to get a good paint finish.

Offline JohnN

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 11:38:52 pm »
Thanks for that. I love trying new techniques and materials so will have to add building a kit to the list.  :beers:

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2018, 10:32:24 am »
I usually make up the N15 using a Union Mills tender drive and a Peco Jubilee loco chassis, th intennded Farish black 5 as donor looks awful, wrong wheel diameter and spacing, a Farish Duchess is slightly better for whel size but spacing is still way out. The main problem using the UM drive with asn extra pair of wheels is the bogie side frames; I did get some etched ones from Worsley works, don't know if they would still be available.
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2018, 10:48:08 am »
I usually make up the N15 using a Union Mills tender drive and a Peco Jubilee loco chassis, th intennded Farish black 5 as donor looks awful, wrong wheel diameter and spacing, a Farish Duchess is slightly better for whel size but spacing is still way out. The main problem using the UM drive with asn extra pair of wheels is the bogie side frames; I did get some etched ones from Worsley works, don't know if they would still be available.

Yes the black 5 Farish mechanism is wrong, however the Jubilee and Duchess wheels are equally wrong and don't in my eyes improve the situation only make it different but still wrong.  On this basis given the amount of rework required for other mechanisms i'm happy to live with the designed mechanism particularly given that my total cost to build will be under 35 I'm happy.

Where I do want accuracy I go to the opposite extreme.  Take a look at my Bayer Garrett thread where I re machined Fairburn Tank mechanisms to get accuracy, but this is not worth doing for a Langley or BM Enterprise white metal body.  As they say If I was going there I would not start from here.

Offline Dorsetmike

• N Gauge Society Number: 2365
  • Grumpy old fart
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2018, 01:24:59 pm »
A mix 'n match work in progress, BHE N15 loco on Peco Jub chassis  Langley S15 tender on Fleischmann tender drive

The "other halves" mix ' n match Maunsell S15, Langley loco modified cab, Fleischmann chassis BHE N15 tender on UM drive plus pair of wheels etched brass bogie side frames + cast axle boxes

For "Golden Arrow" working you will need to do the cab mod from the LSWR Drummond pattern to the Maunsell pattern. the LSWR cab would not fit the composite loading gauge.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2018, 01:26:10 pm by Dorsetmike »
Cheers MIKE
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

How many roads must a man walk down ... ... ... ... ... before he knows he's lost!

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2018, 02:01:08 pm »
A mix 'n match work in progress, BHE N15 loco on Peco Jub chassis  Langley S15 tender on Fleischmann tender drive

The "other halves" mix ' n match Maunsell S15, Langley loco modified cab, Fleischmann chassis BHE N15 tender on UM drive plus pair of wheels etched brass bogie side frames + cast axle boxes

For "Golden Arrow" working you will need to do the cab mod from the LSWR Drummond pattern to the Maunsell pattern. the LSWR cab would not fit the composite loading gauge.

Looks good but a lot of work and to keep this standard you will need to replace all the boiler fittings with NBrass or similar.

I will go that way if only because the kit fittings are so poor.  It also gives me a standard I can upgrade the mechanism to in the future if I like the end result.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2018, 09:26:49 pm »
This Langley S15 kit is a real  :censored:   I am so glad I soldered it together, both for integrity but the solder also makes a great hole filler, and can be built up to be shaped.

Here are a few shots leading up to a final undercoat. 

I will now leave it to harden.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2018, 09:59:20 pm »
Ah well, I thought there were lots of Southern boffins here and they all missed the mistake.  there are too many steps on the tender :D

Anyway a bit of progress, mainly filling and painting, filling and painting, but some progress.  The DCC sound chips are installed and tested and once I am satisfied with the surface finish I will think about transfers.  Essentially the physical build is complete and its decoration and assembly from here.  The final action is a very careful spray of satin varnish to give an even patina.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2018, 01:55:09 am »
All painted and ready to assemble.  given how bad the kits were i'm quite pleased with how they have turned out.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 09:14:57 am by Snowwolflair »

Online Carmont

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2018, 09:08:14 am »
I'd say, given how poor white metal surfaces can be, you've done a good job on the finishes, particularly #450.

Beyond that, I know nothing of the prototypes so cannot comment.

Those big flange wheels would be a jar too far for me, but respect your earlier thoughts on the chassis.

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here