!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 125x60 and a bit!  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: 125x60 and a bit!
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2018, 09:56:46 pm »
Thanks. I seem to remember seeing a photo of a 4f double heading on the S&D but have forgotten where I saw it.

You're right, Brian. The LMS 4F 0-6-0 tender locomotives worked some trains down from Bath—they were commonplace on the Bath to Bristol services.

Freight in the 1960s was largely in the hands of Fowler 4Fs, Stanier 8Fs, Standard 4-6-0s and the S&D 7F 2-8-0s, assisted by Jinty 0-6-0Ts and GW 57XX Pannier Tanks; freight trains were assisted in rear by these locomotives over the Combe Down summit and over Masbury.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 09:59:01 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated »

Offline port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2018, 08:29:49 am »
LMS Class 2P 4-4-0s, LMS Fowler Class 3Fs, and, of course, S&DJR 7F 2-8-0s, were all used on the Somerset & Dorset but, not as far as I know, LMS 4Fs but my knowledge of the S&D is far from extensive.
A few 4Fs were built specifically for the S&D and were even numbered into that railay’s own series. So yes,they were sometimes seen South of Bath.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2018, 09:17:08 pm »
A quick update. Not a lot to report. :(. I've printed out some mock-ups of buildings, modified to fit the space and printed out the final forms. It's a good job I've plenty of scalpel blades, there's a lot of cutting out to do.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2018, 10:13:16 pm »
Thanks for the update on this, Brian. It's another smallish layout that will look very good, I'm sure.

I can't remember if you said that you have an old Graham Farish 4F 0-6-0? Or was it an old 2P 4-4-0?

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2018, 10:28:29 pm »
I have a couple of 4Fs given to me some years ago but no 2P. The 4Fs are not used much as they have etched brass couplings. I need to make a connecting wagon so that I can use standard couplings.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2018, 10:13:36 am »
I have a couple of 4Fs given to me some years ago but no 2P. The 4Fs are not used much as they have etched brass couplings. I need to make a connecting wagon so that I can use standard couplings.

Thanks, Brian. In the next (small) parcel, I will include some Peco NR-102 ELC Couplings with Pockets N Gauge, (you need at least one, anyway, for vans without couplings at one end). I'm sure you have the skills and tools to add these and then you need not make any adapter wagons. 8-) I also need some of these couplings with pockets for the same reason as your 4Fs.

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2018, 11:09:08 am »
Great progress Brian, like the idea of 2 sided scenics separated by backdrop partition

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2018, 09:22:42 pm »
A mock up to give me some ideas. Other ideas gratefully received.

The factory on the right will have a boiler house or workshop next to it but I'm not sure what to do in the middle above the points.
The idea is to try and create an industrial scene to contrast with the rural scene on the other side. The raised area on the left will have terraced houses,pub and shop. I have all the downloads for these, all I have to do is make them :)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2018, 10:27:30 pm »
In the middle above the points would be an ideal place to site the signalbox giving the sigmalman an excellent all-round view.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2018, 10:38:26 pm »
In the middle above the points would be an ideal place to site the signalbox giving the sigmalman an excellent all-round view.

Good idea. :thumbsup:

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2018, 09:35:09 am »
 :hellosign: All looking good so far Brian.
     regards Derek

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2018, 11:01:20 am »
How about some kind of works involving piping, vessels etc? Perhaps a coal gas plant (can’t remember what era you are)?

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2018, 11:57:12 am »
Maybe think about the wagons you have then relate any industry to those?
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2018, 12:12:11 pm »
I have plenty of spare Peco "Tube" wagons and I think most of us have those and pipe loads are easily made (e.g. the plastic ink tube in Biros, etc.) / can be bought, so a pipe works sounds an excellent idea.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2018, 08:37:03 pm »
Thanks folks. If I move the small building to the other side of the tracks I could put a loading/unloading facility with a gantry crane on the two sidings. I have some pipe wagons and containers. I shall mull it over for a while. There's plenty to do on the big layout and kit building to keep me out of mischief.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything