!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: 125x60 and a bit!  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Mito

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
125x60 and a bit!
« on: February 25, 2018, 09:14:51 pm »
Construction has started. The base is 3cm foam board on a frame I've had for yonks. As said in the planing section the bit is a couple of centimetres extra to avoid death defying plunges of stock.
I made a video of the inaugural run today. I have no video editing program so it is as it is.
https://youtu.be/a-FcqTLHC0o

I bought a hand held Picttroller, which was used for the first time today. I'm impressed with it, very good slow running with both new locos and vintage ones.

This is the control panel. Four isolating sections, the plug for the Picttroller and socket for the power supply which is an old charger from a cordless drill. It's set in so that I can stand the board on end without damage. I'll buy a couple of door rubber stops tofit on the end.

I call this my washing line. I hang items to be painted on it . The piece on it now is the base for the control panel for Withy Jct.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: 125x60 and a bit!
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 09:44:51 pm »
Thanks, Brian. Looking good. You'll be able to fit in a variety of scenery on that board. All being well, you should have some railway buildings to place on it, next month.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2018, 09:55:36 pm »
I managed to do a bit of ballasting this afternoon. No photos yet. The next big job is to fit back scenes. I've got some thin ply to make them.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2018, 10:36:10 pm »
Hi Brian,

All looks great and can't wait for more. I have started a 4' x 2 1/2' layout, to keep me busy during the house move, but as usual, you, Martin and everyone else have left me in the starting blocks.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2018, 10:53:09 pm »
This was only started because it's too cold in the railway room and I was given permission to build it in the porch so long as I put it away at night. Can't really understand the logic there. Do layouts sleep?
I'm waiting for the reaction when out come my boxes of scenery stuff. I suppose I could sleep in the railway room on a li-lo with a couple of blankets. :cold:

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 09:54:30 am »
Good to see another experimental layout on the way.

I was given permission to build it in the porch

I doubt you could do that in a UK porch! :no:

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 08:35:43 pm »
Good to see another experimental layout on the way.

I was given permission to build it in the porch

I doubt you could do that in a UK porch! :no:

That's one of the advantages of living a little further South. If it gets cool I can open the front door and let the heat from the living room out. That is until I'm shouted at that it's getting cold.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2018, 08:47:14 pm »
Do you have enough trees for your new layout, Brian?

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2018, 09:04:23 pm »
I have some and I can "borrow" from Withy Jct. I've not finalised in my mind exactly how the scenery will be except that line over the bridge will be pastoral with a water theme and the other side industrial but at the moment I don't know what industry. I think it will be one industry occupying the majority of the area.

Offline daveg

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22509
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2018, 06:36:10 am »
Really like using insulation foam as it gives so many scenic options.

Look forward to seeing that develop.

Just let the cat out for his morning 'hunt'. Temperature in the conservatory is 2.3C which struck me as a tad chilly. He's back. Too cold for the furry beast as well!

Dave G

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2018, 08:40:57 am »
If you need a few more trees, Brian. Just let me know.

I agree with you Dave, re: insulation foam. I have used it extensively to build the different levels on Cant Cove.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2018, 09:13:28 am »
Looking forward to pictures Brian.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Milton Rail

• Larger Gallery
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25213
    • Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 10:56:37 am »
Nice work Brian, I started using this type of material (though the Cellotex variety) and found it to be hard to work with in terms of shaping it and ended up ditching it. 

Your work looks spot on though

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 04:06:30 pm »
Nice work Brian, I started using this type of material (though the Cellotex variety) and found it to be hard to work with in terms of shaping it and ended up ditching it. 

Your work looks spot on though

I think it depends on the material, Andrew. The stuff I used could be shaped with a woodworking plane and sandpaper and didn't break into lots of tiny balls.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2018, 08:50:06 pm »
The foam I use is rigid not the polystyrene stuff that disintegrates into balls and is statically charged. I have a band saw which I use for cutting large pieces then a sharp knife to finally shape it. I normally cover it with papier mache using PVA glue or a cellulose filler but painting glue on the foam before I start for better adhesion, I finished the ballasting of the circle of track today. I'll bring the layout in tonight so that it dries. It's too cold in the porch. We have a nice wood burning stove in the living room which keeps the house warm.
Chris, yes please to the trees. Add them to my account! I went through some of my things today and I don't have as many as I thought. I have some of Woodland Scenic's offerings of metal castings. I've had them for years but they are too big for this layout and not very nice looking.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything