!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: MDS Modell RhB models  (Read 3978 times)

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
Re: MDS Modell RhB models
« Reply #75 on: April 28, 2018, 11:10:22 am »
They're a cottage industry, give them a chance. It's hardly a Dapol-esque delay.

Offline Mike Beard

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22460
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: April 28, 2018, 11:15:22 am »
Absolute nonsense.

They are not a "Cottage Industry".

A cottage industry was somebody like Bec Kits who cast white metal kits and sold them.

These guys are in the same league as Radipo Trains or Revolution Trains. Professional.

Hard to believe I know but that's the truth of it.

Mike Beard.

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: April 28, 2018, 11:28:24 am »
The trouble is that even their staunchest supporter must be wondering if there is the small possibility that MDS-Modell itself might be derailed somewhere.  Lack of information gives rise to gossip.

Somethings seems odd, I just read a thread on the 1zu160 forum, back on the 03.03.2018 people were talking about they didn't receive the Kato model yet but they already have had the MDS Modell.

http://www.1zu160.net

You need to be logged in to see the pictures.

steve

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #78 on: April 28, 2018, 11:29:09 am »
Revolution is two blokes with full time jobs doing stuff in their spare time... sounds like a cottage industry to me, in the truest sense of the word.

MDS have two products. They're hardly a behemoth of the modelling world!

Pretty irrelevant though, my point was just to chill. No need for the hand wringing, they'll arrive. 

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2018, 12:22:46 pm »
The trouble is that even their staunchest supporter must be wondering if there is the small possibility that MDS-Modell itself might be derailed somewhere.  Lack of information gives rise to gossip.

Somethings seems odd, I just read a thread on the 1zu160 forum, back on the 03.03.2018 people were talking about they didn't receive the Kato model yet but they already have had the MDS Modell.

http://www.1zu160.net

You need to be logged in to see the pictures.

steve

From a comment by Gunnar at MDS from an email he sent to me around March time, I recall he said that they had stock at that time of the first, plain red, Ge 4/4 in their listings. I assume that these models were soon snapped up, and delivered along with very early pre-orders. That might account for some of the comments you've seen. (My original need was for one of the decorated locos and wagons, not this plain red one)

Personally I think this is a small company and may be experiencing teething problems with its manufacturer - maybe in quality or whatever - or other issues, and has perhaps been lax in communication of delays. But that is not uncommon, and perhaps they've clung too much to the belief they could supply as originally intended. As I understood things, the decorated locos and the wagons were never going to be available until the end of April anyway ('30 days' is perhaps as flexible as 'end of next month' in my view).

If money has been paid for items then I can perhaps understand some frustration by prospective buyers, but if it's just a reserve/pre-order then I fail to understand the problem.  They will arrive one day. Or not. It's really not worth getting wound up about, so as njee says, chill.

After all, it's only a few models.
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline retica

• Awards
« Reply #80 on: April 28, 2018, 12:31:19 pm »
so as njee says, chill

No need to, I am calm as, was just wondering if anyone of you guys got one yet. I won't buy any, I am more than happy with my Kato ones. I am interested in the freight cars but at roughly $50 a piece, I am in no hurry, allowes me to save more coins.

steve

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2018, 06:46:04 pm »
Sent an email to Gunnar today asking about expected actual availability of the locos and freight cars.

This is his prompt reply

at the moment we have the both red locos in analogue and digital+sound ready for delivery. The coloured versions and the cars should be available in June.

Best regards

Gunnar

Sad to find they are delayed still, but I have an infinite store of patience, so when they are available I will confirm an order. Meanwhile I'll play with the trains I have.

:)
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2018, 07:51:37 pm »
RhB Waggons

The news that there is yet another delay is not a huge suprise. A little company jumping big will always have problems.

Life goes on - I hope!  :)

Mike Beard.

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: May 19, 2018, 12:14:08 am »
Looks like my MDS Ge4/4II is on its way from Modellbahn Kramm.

I ordered all red 628 'S-Chanf', because I prefer non-ad liveries and love the Romansch names, as a Grischun place name S-Chanf is bettered only by La Punt Chamues-ch !
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2018, 11:01:49 pm »
My MDS Modell Ge4/4II 628 arrived today.

On taking it out of the (very nice board and foam) box I thought "this is going to be a close match to the Kato shape, that it looked superb, but when I put it next to the Kato version it suddenly looked quite different!

I have not measured it up yet but there are many differences between the two models, on the MDS model the bodyshell looks taller than the Kato and the front 'face' of the loco have a significantly different shape to the Kato version, particularly the cab windscreens

European railway expert

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2018, 11:42:23 pm »
I've come to the interim conclusion that the 'longer' (ie deeper) 'face' of the MDS version may be the more accurate, and overall the rest of the MDS model is also probably more accurate. It has the (I think) more accurate roof detail (except the 6 inclined rectangular roof line vents, and the slight 'rim' around the whole roof line). It has better cab door  handrails, and includes the steps. The 'deeper' appearance of the cab windscreens and bodyside windows is (again I think) more correct than the Kato version

However the plastic pantographs are not as good as the Kato - fragile (and a poor light grey colour and translucent). One broke straight out of the box...

European railway expert

Offline daffy

• Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2018, 06:16:26 am »
Interesting comments Gordon. Any chance of some comparison photos of your Ge4/4 II's with the MDS and Kato locos side by side etc? :hmmm:

The broken pantograph is not good. I'd be inclined to return the model as it is a rather prominent feature. Being a new production it is something they should get right and we the buyers need to report back all such problems. Poor component design?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2018, 06:18:01 am by daffy »
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #87 on: May 23, 2018, 10:34:43 pm »
Kato Versus MDS-Modell Locos

The differences in interpretation by the two makers leads to a problem which is that if the two locos are that disimilar then they cannot stand side by side on the same layout without causing questions.

Very sad. Neither is completely right for sure but I suspect it will be a majority decision.

Mike Beard.

Offline njee20

• Awards
« Reply #88 on: May 24, 2018, 10:19:24 am »
In N I'd suggest differences have to be monumental before you'd not want both on a layout. If that's the case then one is clearly going to be the 'better' one and as such you'd simply not buy the 'wrong' one. Given people seem happy with the Kato one, but the suggestion is the MDS one is possibly a slightly more faithful reproduction this is probably moot.

In British N Dapol and Farish 66s are markedly different when studied, but I'm happy for both to coexist on my layout.

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #89 on: May 26, 2018, 11:47:10 pm »
Here are the pictures:

kato left MDS right

MDS 628

European railway expert

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here