!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: MDS Modell RhB models  (Read 4428 times)

Online retica

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: MDS Modell RhB models
« Reply #165 on: October 18, 2018, 04:04:29 pm »
Can anybody get in touch with MDS and see if they have any spare bogies?

I did ask this question a week ago, so far no answer  :uneasy:

steve

Offline Mike Beard

• N Gauge Society Number: 22460
    • Awards
« Reply #166 on: October 18, 2018, 04:12:19 pm »
Seemingly they have them, they have just asked me how many I need.

I'll probably buy two pairs. If anybody wants any while I'm ordering just the plain mouldings. no wheels, no couplings, and perhaps be a little more economical on the overall postage just say.

Cheers,

Mike B.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2018, 05:16:22 pm by Mike Beard, Reason: Added quantity and share offer »

Online retica

• Awards
« Reply #167 on: October 18, 2018, 08:29:24 pm »
If anybody wants any while I'm ordering just the plain mouldings. no wheels, no couplings...

One pair, yes please, thank you  :thumbsup:  :pint:

steve

Online retica

• Awards
« Reply #168 on: October 19, 2018, 11:02:11 pm »
I've got my 4. Length and width are fine but I'm a tad concerned about the height, they seem taller than an EW1.

Mike, could you post a picture, a Haik side by side with a EW I ? How much taller is the Haik ? What I can see on prototype pictures, the Haik seems to be taller than the EW Is. Not that easy to compare as the Haiks are mostly at the end of a train and the photographer is focused on the locomotive   ;)

steve 

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #169 on: October 20, 2018, 06:51:10 am »
MDS Modell Vans

The first 4 pictures are fairly self-explanitory I think. Here are the real things.

Now the length and width are pretty much spot on. But the wagon seems a tad tall compared with other stock. Here it is up against a Ge4/4 III and further down against an EW1. So I wondered if the EW1 might be a bit squat and after scouring the net I found a RhB drawing and after conversion at 1:150th scale its height came out to 22.5mm while the wagon should be 24mm maximum. Oddly I cannot find my digital calipers to get an accurate measurement but squinting with an engineers rule they both seem right but if anybody has a broadside of an EW1 and a sidewall wagon coupled together that would be useful. The only one I can find is on a gaming picture and that shows the roof projects above the EW1. The vans are designed so they are full loading gauge height at the eaves. I know what that means!

Here is a shot of the bogie. You can see it has two ride height pins and I wonder if theyare slightly long and if the wheels are the right diameter.  The flanges look a bit coarse. Once I find my Vernier Calipers etc I'll know. Incidentally the bogies presumably with but I only asked about just the basic moulding and that;s available as a spare part. It looks like it might go under a lot of RhB wagons.

The RhB site has a useful array of wagon drawings downloadable in .pdf form.

Hope this helps,

Mike Beard.

Online retica

• Awards
« Reply #170 on: October 21, 2018, 09:42:18 pm »

Here is a shot of the bogie. You can see it has two ride height pins and I wonder if theyare slightly long and if the wheels are the right diameter.  The flanges look a bit coarse. Once I find my Vernier Calipers etc I'll know. Incidentally the bogies presumably with but I only asked about just the basic moulding and that;s available as a spare part. It looks like it might go under a lot of RhB wagons.

Thank you for the pictures Mike.

I don't like what I see there on that picture. It seems they copied the Kato coupler box so the cars will be compatible for the Kato "GEX coupler". That will make it impossible to use the Micro Trains #1129 coupler without major surgery.

If you compare the size of the bogies with drawings from the RhB website, are they the right size ?

steve

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #171 on: October 21, 2018, 10:06:16 pm »
I have not found my calipers yet.

More news here and elsewhere when I do.

You can see the reason for buying a couple of spare pairs.

Cheers,

Mike.

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #172 on: October 22, 2018, 09:44:09 pm »
Dear All,

I found my vernier caliper and here are the results as I measured them.

The Kato EW1 coach is spot on at just under 23mm high. The prototype is 3400mm.

Life is not so good for the wagons though. The overall height according to the drawings is 3575mm which equates to almost 24mm. According to my measurements the overall height of the MDS models wagon is 25mm. A whole 1mm too high. So as it looks accurate where does the extra height come from? Well the wheels are 5.30mm diameter where they should 5.00mm (750mm) and there is the gap between the top of the bogies and the underframe which is pretty much 1mm. But before we all rush about yelling "Oh Dear" that extra clearance may be very useful if your fitting MicroTrains couplings in the same way as shown here:-

http://ngrm-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/21504-nmish-bonsai-rhb-couplings/

The axle length if your looking for American replacements as the flanges are quite coarse is 14.10mm or 0.555". The diameter is 0.197" which equates to a 33" wheel which is a tiny bit large and comes out to the same size as the MDS ones but the flanges are much finer.

Cheers,

Mike Beard

Offline fitzgreyve

• Awards
« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2018, 12:24:24 pm »
Just order three of these (the twin pack plus Calanda wagon) from Pirata via evil-bay. Prices were comparable to elsewhere, but the main thing was that DHL shipping ended up being a relatively low EUR 13.

Shipping was quoted as eur 13 for the first item, eur 3 for each additional - Evil-bay then says "they don't do combined postage" (i.e. for mixed items) and wouldn't allow a request for combined shipping.  I emailed Pirata and they did it for the "single unit" shipping price.

(delivered in just less than 6 days - very good  models)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:40:05 am by fitzgreyve »

Offline Gordon

• Awards
« Reply #174 on: October 29, 2018, 01:05:02 am »
The MDS wagons are clearly overheight.

The extra 'unwanted' space is between the bogies and the wagon underframe. The bogies should 'nest' higher up underneath the body (but of course this restricts curve radius )

The compromise is fairly obviously to enable the to go round sharp curves. This is of course a very long standing compromise (used at one time or another by all main manufacturers) dating back decades.

I can fully understand MDS making this compromise as they are essentially a semi-artisinal company.

For comparison here is my Shapeways (A/K) van done in the latest Volg livery:

I fought long and hard to fit bogies that nest up under the body and still allow good running. In the end I chose some Green max ones
« Last Edit: October 29, 2018, 01:08:26 am by Gordon »
Sometime Publicity Officer, N Gauge Society

Swiss Railways Consultant
French Railways Consultant
European railway expert

First British N loco (in 1972): Farish GER Holden tank!
Modelling French N gauge since 1975
Modelling Swiss and German N gauge since 1971

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #175 on: October 29, 2018, 09:14:47 am »
If MDS used 5mm dia wheels instead of 5.4mm that would be a start and pizza cutter flanges! I tried fitting some Fox Valley wheels I have but they were too loose. Next time I order some MT couplings I'll order some longer axle wheels to see what happens.

Happy Modelling,

Mike Beard.

Offline Mike Beard

• Awards
« Reply #176 on: November 02, 2018, 04:59:29 pm »
On the MDS-Modell side of things I've replaced the wheels with Fox Valley Models 33" wheels on 0.563" axles from N Scale American Trains. Unfortunately most of us seem to have bought either two of four wagons and you get sufficient wheels to take care of 3! However they do look better against other stock or is it just that I want it to?

Cheers,

Mike Beard - still  :'(  waiting HMRC!

Offline Gizzy

• Awards
« Reply #177 on: Yesterday at 08:36:58 am »
I've just received a pair of HAIK vans from Modellbahn Kramm, and I noticed the height of these compared to EW1 coaches straight away.

However, I'll probably run these in a freight only consist, and not as a tail load on a passenger train, so I'll live with any possible discrepancy for the time being?

They are nice models though, and I've ordered another one....
Gizzy

Offline daffy

• N Gauge Society Number: Lapsed
  • Learning everyday
    • Awards
« Reply #178 on: Yesterday at 10:17:35 am »
I too will probably only run unmixed consists, so donít mind the height problem that much.

I imagine a number of buyers will have made comment to MDS about the issue, and it may be - I wonít hold me breath - that they will modify future production models, and in a dream world they could even issue a mod kit for the ones already sold. :D
Mike

Sufferin' succotash!

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here