!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: ECoS & setting Cobalt Point Motor  (Read 384 times)

Offline mayjay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24333
    • Awards
ECoS & setting Cobalt Point Motor
« on: February 19, 2018, 05:10:46 pm »
Hi
I bet this has been answered before but here goes. I need to 'reverse' the throw of my Colbalt Digital ip point motor using my ECoS, question is HOW? simple answers please, my old brain cant deal with the complex any more.

Mayjay :helpneededsign:
« Last Edit: February 19, 2018, 08:04:14 pm by Railwaygun, Reason: Title expanded »
Mike

Offline LongHairedDavid

• N Gauge Society Number: 27625
    • Ebay
    • Pennvale Blog
    • Awards
Re: ECoS
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 06:01:35 pm »
Hi there. On the Cobalt, put ut the SET/RUN switch in the SET position. Address  the point as 197 and firstly turn and then close the point. I do this twice normally. Then put the SET/RUN switch back to RIN. I find that, sometimes I need to do this twice.

David
David
FC - Pennvale Sands - N Gauge
Ex - Main Man on the Sunset & North Eastern RR.
http://pennvaleblog.co.uk

Offline mayjay

• Awards
Re: ECoS & setting Cobalt Point Motor
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 08:55:21 am »
Thanks David. Most things are simple once you know/understand how. I find it difficult to learn these days. (well past retiring age) .There are times when I wish that I had remained with DC, I understand on/off switches. :doh:
Mike

Offline mayjay

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 02:55:43 pm »
Still not working. Spent all day checking and re-checking ECoS & Colbalt instructions till the print went so blurred that I turned everything off and gave up. So B***** frustrated. Anyone out there who lives close to Malvern and could spare the time to visit me and sort me out. I don't want to go back to DC but a simple switch I understand, and it is cheaper. Very close to selling it all. :'(
Mike

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2018, 04:03:11 pm »
Well the instructions do seem so say you have to go through the setup procedure and send address 197 to instruct the motor to response oppositely, then turn power (to the layout/accessory bus?) off and on, then go through the setup procedure and assign the actual decoder address you want.

Sounds flippin' complex to me, but as mentioned on another forum post it's a shame the ECOS itself doesn't have the ability to swap the open and close commands for a given accessory decoder.

If you can't get this swap to work, can't you simply physically rotate the point motor (that was the recommendation for the non IP Cobalts from what I've read!)
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline mayjay

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 04:19:22 pm »
Yup! it all looks and sounds so easy when reading the instructions. Cant turn the motor, restricted space.

thanks for reply

Mayjay
Mike

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 04:42:32 pm »
I have no experience of the ECOS nor the Cobalts, but was going to suggest perhaps define an extra accessory in the ECOS that's permanently set to address 197 and use that just for swapping Cobalt directions. Maybe give it an unusual colour or something (if that's possible?)  Keep the "real" accessory for the point set to the address you want it to be?

So the procedure seems to be something like:

1) set Cobalt switch to SET mode
2) select the "197" accessory in the ECOS and fire it - that should send the instruction to the Cobalt to swap its behaviour. ** I think only fire this once otherwise it may swap back again?
3) turn off power to the Cobalt (this seems to be important according to the instructions)
4) turn on power to the Cobalt, leaving it in SET mode.
5) select the "real" accessory in the ECOS and fire it - that should tell the Cobalt what address you want it to be
6) set the Cobalt switch back to RUN mode  (not sure if you have to turn off power before you do that?)

It's not clear to me whether or not you need to put the Cobalt back into RUN mode (even briefly) after sending 197 to it at step 3 or 4, before going back into SET mode to give it it's real address?   Trial and error maybe (though you've done a lot of that already by the sound of it?  !!

As I say, I have no experience of the two bits of kit you're trying to use, but I do know that putting an accessory decoder into a "learn" mode, firing a point command using the desired address, then taking the decoder out of "learn" mode is a common approach: with the NCE SwitchKats I use for my G scale points it's done using a temporary bridging wire.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 04:49:24 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline mayjay

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2018, 09:03:57 am »
 :thankyousign:

I cant fire the Colbalt after entering 197 address without giving it it's own address, (in this case 103)  trying to fire the point in the ECoS accessory set up or track plan without doing this will not work. I have now ordered servo's and a 'switch pilot' to try. looks to be a lot easier to set up and with micro switches attached will still change frog polarity or operate light signals etc.
I was persuaded to buy ECoS  as an easy to use unit which did away with mimic boards, switches and miles of wiring. I understand DC despite the work involved, perhaps I would be better off selling all DCC products and returning to it. I am very despondent at the moment having spent so much money and not understanding DCC at all. I live in an isolated area and have no clubs or like minded people to turn to.

Thanks for your attempts to solve this but it appears to be beyond my learning curve (well over retiring age).

Mayjay
Mike

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2018, 05:02:16 pm »
:thankyousign:

I cant fire the Colbalt after entering 197 address without giving it it's own address, (in this case 103)  trying to fire the point in the ECoS accessory set up or track plan without doing this will not work.

Sending address 197 probably doesn't actually make the Cobalt move, it just changes a configuration in the Cobalt's decoder. The principle is still exactly the same as when you set the actual address 103.
That's why I suggested creating another accessory in the ECOS with address 197, just for use when you want to send this address to a Cobalt you're trying to program.

It's a shame this is giving you so much trouble and you don't have anyone you can call in to assist.  Another option might be removing and posting the Cobalt to someone who can configure it for you.

Offline mayjay

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2018, 05:21:50 pm »
 :confusedsign:

I very much appreciate your attempts to help me. The simple fact is that I just do not understand how to do what you are suggesting. Computer illiterate, that's me all over. And perhaps it is a case of trying to teach an old dog new tricks. Practical I can do, make anything, but theory and computer speak/abbreviations baffles me.

Thanks again for your efforts.

Mayjay
Mike

Offline lil chris

• N Gauge Society Number: 23889
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2018, 09:54:20 pm »
Hi there @mayjay I am hesitant to suggest going to another site but if you go to Model Rail Forum ( http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?act=idx  )and  the dcc section and post on there Richard from dcc concepts posts on there and I have no doubt he will tell you what to do. You could probably go on their site too for the instructions although they might be the same has those with the motor. I managed to do the one and only digital Cobalt have, must admit found it fiddly, you seem to have to type the same address twice for it to work. They are based at Settle now too so you could possibly ring them and they would possibly help you over the phone.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2018, 10:06:44 pm by lil chris, Reason: added tag »
Lil Chris
My layout here East Lancashire Lines
http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=29492.0

Offline mayjay

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2018, 09:00:11 am »
Hi Chris.

Thanks for the input. I have looked on the other site and become even more confused. I find that information often comes from those who fully understand all of the model railway & computer 'speak', and do not fully understand that we are not all experts. I am slow to learn these days and technology has passed me by. I now need step by step instructions in plain/simple English or practical demonstration with no code words or tech speak, due to age and s  l  o  w brain. I now realise that DCC is not as easy as I was led to believe. should have saved my cash and stayed with DC.

Mayjay  (Mike)
Mike

Offline mayjay

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2018, 11:52:43 am »
Thanks to all who have taken time to advise me. At last I have fully functional Colbalts and a better understanding of my ECoS as well. Problem solved.
Mike

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here