!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Powering and Switching Kato Points  (Read 404 times)

Offline Kiwi40

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22420
    • Awards
Powering and Switching Kato Points
« on: February 17, 2018, 09:04:22 am »
Hi all, At our local railway club we have been donated a set of Kato Double Crossover Points (scissor crossing). The intention is that these will be incorporated into our existing club layout which is full of points operated by klunky solenoid type point motors which draw many amps each.

These Kato points are a delicate and beautifully crafted piece of gear containing 4 point motors and frog switching all built in and operated by only 2 wires.

The problem is that there is no indication of how to switch or power these points on the packaging as they assume they will be used with the Kato controller, kind of plug and play.

I don't want to burn them out trying to find out how to power and operate them! I have no knowledge of the Kato controller for PSU or how they can be thrown in differing directions with only 2 wires.

It would be great if someone could demystify this for me? What type of current and voltage should be used to drive them and what sort of point switch is required to change the direction of throw?

Hope somebody can help
Thanks.

Offline NeMo

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23720
    • Awards
Re: Powering and Switching Kato Points
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 09:47:43 am »
Not used this item. Looks cool though.

Does this help?

http://ttrak.wikidot.com/kato-s-double-crossover

Cheers, NeMo

Offline Kiwi40

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 10:38:50 am »

Not used this item. Looks cool though.

Does this help?

http://ttrak.wikidot.com/kato-s-double-crossover

Cheers, NeMo

Nice Youtube but didn't help unfortunately. I have found heaps of topics that covered how to wire the track in various configurations but absolutely nothing on how to switch or power the points remotely. I notice Kato have included a built in lever to change the points manually. Perhaps this is what people do, change them manually.

Thanks anyway.

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 10:55:13 am »
It would be great if someone could demystify this for me? What type of current and voltage should be used to drive them and what sort of point switch is required to change the direction of throw?

Ah, I think this may help some more...

https://www.traintrax.co.uk/20210-double-crossover-track-p-303.html

All Kato points use 12V DC and the same passing contact switch (Kato #24-840). Should be the right one with the crossover, Kato points usually coming with all the wires and switches needed.

Cheers, NeMo

Offline weave

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 10:58:15 am »
Hi,

I don't know much but here's some limited info.

The points can be manually thrown individually but there are only 2 wires because when attached to the one point lever which is attached to the controller it changes all 4 points at the same time (ie. all straight or all crossing).

I wouldn't know how to adapt that without using the Kato controller.

I know nothing about electricity either, hence I use Kato, but looking at the controller it says adaptor output to controller 16V AC, controller input 15V AC (1.5A). Controller output to track feed and point levers is 12 V DC.

Hope helps.

Cheers weave  :beers:

« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 10:59:26 am by weave »

Offline mickd247

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 11:00:49 am »
Hi

All the Kato points including the crossover work on 12V DC only, hence only the two wires.  The gizmo you need is Kato item 24-842 DC Converter which converts to 12V DC, you would wire this item to the 16V AC accessories connection on your controllers.

You would then need Kato item 24-840 Turnout Control Switch which connects to the DC Converter by the press studs on the side.  Pictures of both items appear on Train Trax website who advertise on this Forum.

HTH

:beers:

Mick

Offline Kiwi40

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2018, 11:22:15 am »
Ah ha. Thanks everyone.
Now I know I need 12V DC and a passing contact switch. I'll send away for the Kato switch today.

Thanks again

Offline Malc

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21878
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2018, 11:45:29 am »
You can operate Kato points with accessory decoders. I think Coastal do one. Otherwise you simply change the polarity of the DC to change the direction of the point. I use a 12v plug top supply and the Kato blue switch, but a double pole, double throw, centre off switch will do the same thing as long as itís biased to the off position.
I'm not sure if life is passing me by, or trying to run me over.

Offline NeMo

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2018, 12:41:54 pm »
Otherwise you simply change the polarity of the DC to change the direction of the point ... [snip] ...a double pole, double throw, centre off switch will do the same thing as long as itís biased to the off position.

:-[

Spot the person who isn't Kato's target audience  ;)

I solder about as well* as I ballroom dance (i.e., badly) and what I like about Kato stuff is that I don't need to worry about that. For DC at least, all Kato stuff should be plug-and-play.

But seriously, glad you were able to get the help you needed.

Cheers, NeMo

*Got a CSE grade 2 in CDT, if you must know...  :dunce:

Offline Kiwi40

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 05:11:51 am »
A local electronics parts supplier has miniature DPDT centre off switches in stock so looks like we're set.

Thanks everyone

Offline dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 06:00:57 am »
The layout I am currently building uses Kato track and points, including the double cross over. All the points are powered by a 12c DC supply and the points are changed by way of a DPDT switch, centre off, as alluded to by Malc. Kato is so easy to use, no need for fancy convertors and the like!.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.
If a friend seems distant, catch up with him.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £50.00
Below Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
91% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything