!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Hornby select controllers  (Read 475 times)

Offline bob lawrence

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Hornby select controllers
« on: February 14, 2018, 11:29:32 pm »
I have two Hornby Select controllers and was wondering if I could control two trains, one with each controller, each train having the use of the whole layout, thereby not having to switch from one to the other?
The manual talks about a walkabout be I don’t think this is the same thing, is it?

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
Re: Hornby select controllers
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 12:08:52 am »
No experience of the Select, but going by the manual you simply use one of the Selects as the master unit and connect the other as a "Walkabout" slave unit.  Seems easy enough.

I don't think the Select is rated very highly as a unit though. Early units were reported to have issues with the DCC waveform being "out of spec".   Possibly the output voltage is a bit high for N gauge use?
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Ditape

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25087
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 12:29:04 am »
Yes you need to connect the second unit to the first by a special linking cable an RJ12 6 pin buddy cable Hornby Style R 8266,https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-R8266-Style-4-wire-Select-DCC-Controller-Walkabout-Cable/111167465811?hash=item19e218e953:m:modKIaYU9Qz9M2ulIsGsQMQ
You only connect the first unit to a power pack.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 12:30:07 am by Ditape »
Diane Tape

Offline yelrow

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 06:21:31 pm »
Hi, i run 2 select walkabouts from an Elite. works well. The cable link on ebay shown, is excellent. He makes any length to order, and happily posts to france. It must be this particular cable, and No mains. So, 2 outputs from Elite, or one from your first select. You can run up to 7. selects. john
john

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here