!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Graham Farish 372-310 Class 21C1 Merchant Navy 4-6-2 35024 'East Asiatic Company  (Read 1015 times)

Offline grahame

• Trade Count: (0)
  • British exPat in Houston, Texas
    • Awards
I am thinking of getting one of the Graham Farish Merchant Class 21C1 locos:

http://www.hattons.co.uk/52821/Graham_Farish_372_310_Class_21C1_Merchant_Navy_4_6_2_35024_East_Asiatic_Company_BR_blue_with_early_emb/StockDetail.aspx

Can anyone who has one give a few words on what they think of it? What extra detail pieces it has..etc....

That front coupling is coming straight off if I get one..it looks ridiculous as supplied.... :no:

Thanks

Offline JonHarbour

• N Gauge Society Number: 18965
  • 2mm Association Number: 4667
    • Awards
I didn't order that particular model, but I did order 372-311 (Holland Afrika Line) it was on sale at Rails before Christmas for GBP 99.50! Too hard to resist - particularly since being based in Australia I get 20% VAT knocked off too...  :claphappy:

It came with a 'Tested' sticker on the box and it ran beautifully. I cannot vouch for the haulage yet because I have yet to put a DCC chip in it. I have the original four SR Green Bulleid coaches that Farish did, and I thought I had missed out on the three pack (374-991), but  I found Bourton Model Railways still had one in stock... not any more!  :D It's now on its way to Sydney! That gives me 7 BR (SR) Green Bulleids plus a Bogie B Luggage van for it to pull.

Very happy with it... currently trying to summon up the testicular fortitude to butcher the DCC socket in the tender to fit sound into it...
Still planning a layout...

Offline RailGooner

• N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
I bought 372-311 last March after Dapol announced the death of their BoB.

It's a very nice model. I intend to fit a BR Lines front bogie. I haven't finished my research yet, but I want to convert it to a BoB.
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline longbow

• N Gauge Society Number: Yes
  • 2mm Association Number: Yes
    • Awards
The BR Lines bogie is designed for the old Farish Bulleid Pacifics with their seriously underscale bogie wheels. This new model does not have that problem.

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
Definitely need to get rid of that front coupler, though!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
The front coupler is in an NEM socket, just unplug it. 8)
Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline grahame

• Awards
It's on order...I also get VAT removed so at 99 quid I can't resist...I got the blue one...and have some nice Southern green coaches just like in this photo...

http://www.oliviastrains.com/wp-content/files_mf/1510860262IMG_0495.JPG

Can some history buff explain...these locomotives are nice bright colours..was this before British Railways settled upon the Brunswick Green that all locos later became??? I know that some other locos were Garter Blue I think....back in the 1920's...I have a blue Sir Nigel Gresley from Minitrix...

Offline martyn

• N Gauge Society Number: 5720
    • Awards
Some LNER A4s were garter blue, but in the late 30's.

BR experimental liveries just after nationalisation included plans for class 7 passenger locos (I think) to be blue; reports seem to indicate the actual hue varied, possibly with weathering, and was soon changed to BR green. At least some locos of classes 'Princess Coronation', A3, A4, King, and 'Merchant Navy' were painted in blue.

See 'Railway liveries; BR steam 1948-1968' by Haresnape.
The former GER and Caledonian railways were amongst users of blue before Grouping.

Martyn
« Last Edit: February 10, 2018, 01:22:19 pm by martyn, Reason: extra info »

Offline Karhedron

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19444
    • Awards
Class 8 locos were initially painted blue (sometimes referred to as Caledonian blue although I am not sure if this is accurate). Classes that wore this include the GWR Kings, the SR Merchant Navies, the LNER A4s and possibly 1 or two other classes.

Prior to this, there was actually an earlier experimental "Prussian" blue livery which was much richer, almost purple in colour with LNWR-style lining. Here is a King in this experimental livery. Not sure which other classes wore it but a few Merchant navies may have received it before switching to lighter standard blue.

Well, that's just not good enough. Some fount of all knowledge you are!  :no:  ;)

Offline grahame

• Awards
Here she is nicely run in and pulling a nice set of green SR coaches through BR Tilehurst (just west of Reading). I was able to fit the buffer beam detailed parts but my radius curves would not allow the other parts I am afraid. I am really pleased with this loco so far.

Offline JonHarbour

• N Gauge Society Number: 18965
  • 2mm Association Number: 4667
    • Awards
Very nice! I got back from the UK to find that my 374-991 Bulleid 3 coach set (SR Set #830) was waiting for me. I now have 7 Bulleid coaches in BR (SR) Green plus a Bogie B van, so I have a very nice rake to run behind my 'Holland-Afrika' line.  :D
Still planning a layout...

Online Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
Here she is nicely run in and pulling a nice set of green SR coaches through BR Tilehurst (just west of Reading). I was able to fit the buffer beam detailed parts but my radius curves would not allow the other parts I am afraid. I am really pleased with this loco so far.

For those of us with iPads

https://youtu.be/MshqL_JAGC8
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Offline grahame

• Awards
Oh dear, I think we have a problem...something sounds dry and binding...I have lubricated everything I can access and its getting worse..any ideas?

Offline grahame

• Awards
I think it's the motor..shaft bearings???

Online Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
I think it's the motor..shaft bearings???

No, this bearing (there is only one) are self lubricating phosphor bronze - so it shouldn't need touched.

Check the motor is properly clipped into the plastic cradle - it may be teeth of the worm jumping on the top gear if the motor isn't seated properly - and seating is not unheard of (I've seen 2 with this motor like that - one a Duchess and one a MN the same as this - both were sorted by re-seating the motor).

Cheers,
Alan
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 10:02:27 am by Dr Al »
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
November Donations

Advertise Here