!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Beyer Garret kit build, advice and photos needed  (Read 1051 times)

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
Re: Beyer Garret kit build, advice and photos needed
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2018, 03:20:30 pm »
OUCH Alan, I have a new skill then to master, whilst I can Mig weld, stick weld, braze, electrical solder, this will be a new skill to investigate and learn. Who sells the low melt solder? Do I use Bakers flux?
Kind regards from Fred

You need correct flux suitable for whitemetal.

I use Carr's Red label flux, available from Phoenix precision and also 70degree solder from them. You also will need a temperature controlled iron, set below the melting point of whitemetal, otherwise you'll likely end up with more holes or a big blob!

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Fredastaire

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2018, 11:45:59 am »
After a while in limbo on another huge home project ive now picked up The Beyer Garret to finish it this time. Ive built two very good speed compatable Black 5 chassis so her we go, (one to be reversed yet as I build the water tender section).
The Lytchett castings as ive mentioned before are quite terrible however as theve now stopped making them i'm going to fill and file as needed as once its in paint nobody will ever know.
Now the reason for this note.
1/,i'm struggling with trying to fit the firebox bottom, its not clear how it should fit and which way up, there is a flat panel, is this to the bottom or the top? does this firebox casting totally secure the pivoting tender chassis? if I fit as cast it will lock the tender chassis straight. the cast inclined angles of the hinge down ashpan also appear back to front.
2/, is the finished model supposed to be 'one piece' for transport / storage or are the two pivotting sections detatchable from the main loco boiler / cab?
Kind regards from Fred

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2018, 11:50:28 am »
1/,i'm struggling with trying to fit the firebox bottom, its not clear how it should fit and which way up, there is a flat panel, is this to the bottom or the top? does this firebox casting totally secure the pivoting tender chassis? if I fit as cast it will lock the tender chassis straight. the cast inclined angles of the hinge down ashpan also appear back to front.
2/, is the finished model supposed to be 'one piece' for transport / storage or are the two pivotting sections detatchable from the main loco boiler / cab?

1. You have the firebox bottom in the correct general location, but you want to move it forward (i.e. to the right on you picture) to ensure no clashes with the pivoting chassis and also align it with the actual firebox on the boiler. This may need some fettling of the casting and underside to make it fit, as the Lytchett castings were getting worn and poorly shaped in late days.

2. Yes, it's a three piece loco - the two powered chassis and the central boiler spanning them should detach for ease of storage and transport - one on the peg in the cab roof, the other to the long bolt on the front footplate ahead of the smokebox door.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2018, 12:01:39 pm »
As Al says these should be in line.

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2018, 09:32:57 am »
I'm pleased to report progress. thanks gents for the advice on the ash pan / firebox.
The photo is dry assembled major parts not glued.
I'm now planning to prime these major compnents so I can then use 'automotive knifing stopper' (in the old days we called it cellulose stopper), to fill grooved and pock holes so that I can use wet n dry paper to smooth off before further priming before assembly.
Comments and advice appreciated

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2018, 11:34:53 pm »
Im pleased to say that the Beyer garret has finally made it to our club layout for its first run. After many hours of filing and filling all the blow holes and missing areas ive used Halfords grey undercoat and their black semi gloss, now looks quite good, ive just to solve fixing the transfers as my first attempt didnít work, the transfers wouldnít stick, I guess iím going to spot gloss to give a transfer the chance to stick, any advice welcome as iím new to this. The bogies took some work, the couplings were only part there so i cut the cast bits off and using a jewellers saw cut slots into which I fitted Farish shortened NEM couplers finally fixed with a taper clock pin. The wheels were a cause for thought, none were in the kit, the Black five had too finer axles, solved by using China Farish wagon spoked wheels; carefully removed the wheels, ground the points off. Next problem was how to insulate; back to my scrap box; I have in recent times rebuilt two flying bananas so had the old armature white plastic bearing rectangles, these have a tiny extension Ďtubeí easily sliced off these provided insulating spacers to keep the wheel tyres off the bogie block.
Ive a bit of trouble with the assembled loco not always starting on both motors even tho both chassis are fine as independent units, first iím going to add a tiny washer under the smoke box, the finished loco is so heavy that its got no axial flex and i think it suffers from one chassis wheels being lifted off the track just a fraction and loosing electric contact, if the washer isnít effective iím going to add a wire from water tender to coal tender on the Ďinsulatedí wiring.
Any comments on these or further mods appreciated.

Offline Foster

• Awards
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2018, 03:44:03 am »
 You have made a fine model.
 I am in Pinetown, South Africa, and spent many hours watching the SAR Garretts at work near Pietermaritzburg in my youth,
 so I am a Garrett nut. :beers:     

Offline Railwaygun

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21889
  • Keen on Military Rail, Kato Unitrack, & Z21/DCC
    • Railwaygun, Armoured train and Military Railway group
    • Awards
This has been a public service announcement
It may contain alternative facts

Caveat lector

The largest Railwaygun, Armoured Train & Military Rail group in the world!
https://groups.io/g/railwaygun/topics

My Military Rail Pinterest area
https://uk.pinterest.com/NDRobotnik/

Motto: Semper ubi, sub ubi

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2018, 06:07:42 am »
You have made a fine model.
 I am in Pinetown, South Africa, and spent many hours watching the SAR Garretts at work near Pietermaritzburg in my youth,
 so I am a Garrett nut. :beers:     

Totally agree. An excellent job of a fascinating locomotive.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2018, 10:06:42 am »
Very nice work, Fred :claphappy:

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2018, 10:29:45 am »
May i say thanks to all of you who have given advice so far, ive really appreciated the help. As my first Ďwhite metal kití its been a real leaning curve.
 After sorting the transfers and the red buffer beams im on to completing LMS 10000 and starting 10001.
Thanks again, rgds Fred

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2018, 01:31:51 pm »
Last night proved interesting, at the start of the project I always wanted to run a 'Dalmation', ie 101 open wagons. Along with two colleagues to cover the time unboxing and loading the wagons (and repacking); I'm pleased to report that the Beyer pulled all 101 AND a brake van with absolute no effort at all, Starting from rest so easily. Astounding pulling power. I did many circuits of the 'universal club track' ; so; well pleased.

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2018, 01:59:09 pm »
Now that's what you call a result. Well done, Fred

Offline Zwilnik

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19730
    • Awards
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2018, 02:00:32 pm »
Awesome stuff :)

I do wonder with the 100 wagon long trains whether the brake van is only really there to tick the legal requirement to have one box (that and somewhere for the guard to have his cuppa) as it can't possibly add enough braking power to stop that weight of rolling stock.

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here