!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Beyer Garret kit build, advice and photos needed  (Read 1050 times)

Offline Fredastaire

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Beyer Garret kit build, advice and photos needed
« on: February 01, 2018, 08:56:48 pm »
Ive just begun the Beyer Garrett build and need some help. Ive already built up two Farish Black 5 chassis from one good one and a pile of odds and sods, both 5 pole, result is a well matched pair for consistent running and speed so although i have to part strip and reverse the steam linkeage on one i'm off to a good start.
Except ------ the white metal kit leaves a lot to be desired, its a newly available kit that I bought 6 months ago, I assume years ago it was the Skytrex moulds but has changed hands a few times and the castings are a bit poorly cast. i'm busy filing and scraping parts clean but somewhat puzzled as to exactly how the fire grate is positioned and what gaps it needs where to enable articulation under the cab. Does everbody glue the coal rotating bunker or find a way to screw it in position?

Please can anybody help with info and photos of a built kit?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: Beyer Garret kit build, advice and photos needed
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 09:12:18 am »
From what I've seen maybe the two folks best placed to help are @Dr Al and @Snowwolflair

Offline Dr Al

• Trade Count: (+49)
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 09:19:46 am »
All the ones of these I've made are all soldered construction. Many folk don't attach the tanks/rotating bunker permanently, but there's no need - the chassis can always be removed for maintenance, so I solder them all up for robustness. In terms of the firebox base/grate, it's a case of mounting it below the firebox and leaving the correct clearance for the rotating footplate of the outer chassis at the cab end. So best to do this after the outer end units are both constructed.

A picture probably explains this more concisely though:

The newer castings are showing their age somewhat and are definitely not as good as in the past, but perhaps this is to be expected given their age.

Cheers,
Alan
Quote from: Roy L S
If Dr Al is online he may be able to provide a more comprehensive answer.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 09:31:48 am »
Fred

It sounds as though you are going to be fine on the mechanism build, remembering one has the valve gear reversed.

The kit is crude but you can replace the dome, chimney and whistles with parts from N Brass, as well as buffers and lots of other parts and this sharpens up the appearance.

My rebuilds using Fairburn mechanisms are truer to scale.

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 10:49:55 am »
Thanks gents for the replies and photos, explains a lot.
Ive spotted that the underslung casting is of course the lower part of the firebox wrapper  so the add on bit needs to be in line with the upper.
Ive added photos of my Lytchet Manor main casting, The white arrows show shaped projections under the footplate which donít appear on the photos above, should I cut these off?
The red lined arrows show blow holes, bubbles and other casting defects including a Ďmoltení appearance cab roof. Iím thinking of P38 filler first followed be primer filler and wet n dry. Any suggestions appreciated.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 11:01:27 am »
I'm sorry to say this but that casting is really only fit for the bin. :(

The current Lytchet castings are much sharper, not perfect but much better than the one on the photos.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 11:45:43 am »
The white arrowed areas is fairly normal on these castings and should just be filed off, but the cab roof in particular is terrible, it looks almost like it's been subsequently melted - I'd agree that this is at best borderline save-able.

Was this a recent Lytchett purchase? Last one I had was about a year to a year and a half ago and the cab roof was ok, albeit the rest of the casting was similar standard to yours. If it was fairly recent I'd get in contact with them and politely inform them - particularly on the cab roof and holes!

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 11:48:21 am »
The white arrowed areas is fairly normal on these castings and should just be filed off, but the cab roof in particular is terrible, it looks almost like it's been subsequently melted - I'd agree that this is at best borderline save-able.

Was this a recent Lytchett purchase? Last one I had was about a year to a year and a half ago and the cab roof was ok, albeit the rest of the casting was similar standard to yours. If it was fairly recent I'd get in contact with them and politely inform them - particularly on the cab roof and holes!

Cheers,
Alan

Lychet January 2018 castings are crisp and accurate as I just had a delivery. :)

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 11:50:25 am »
Lychet January 2018 castings are crisp and accurate as I just had a delivery. :)

Hopefully that means they've improved them since my last purchase, which was closer to Fred's!

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 12:00:52 pm »
Could be the moulds are cold. When I used to cast soldiers the castings degraded as the mould heated up.  The ones I got in January were a special one off run.  If you look at my Garrett build thread you will see I was struggling with older castings and I just gave up and ordered fresh ones.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 12:03:30 pm »
The ones I got in January were a special one off run.

My impression was that they are all made to order - certainly my last ones were as there was a fair wait of something around 28 days for them.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 01:59:18 pm »
Thanks guys for your comments.
Following an earlier comment ive emailed Lytchett and had a reply. they say that this model kit has now been withdrawn due to casting 'missmould' problems with the old moulds; they have kindly offered that If I send the main Loco casting back that they will attempt a recast but cannot offer any timescale.

As im now on the go at making the model i'm not going down the route of possibly loosing the poor cast that I do have and putting  the remainder away for an unknown period... so.....I will repair and recover what I do have, please can I have comments and recommendations on my previous notes on using P38 and primer filler?
Kind regards from Fred

Offline Snowwolflair

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 02:40:43 pm »
Following an earlier comment ive emailed Lytchett and had a reply. they say that this model kit has now been withdrawn due to casting 'missmould' problems with the old moulds; they have kindly offered that If I send the main Loco casting back that they will attempt a recast but cannot offer any timescale.

As im now on the go at making the model i'm not going down the route of possibly loosing the poor cast that I do have and putting  the remainder away for an unknown period... so.....I will repair and recover what I do have, please can I have comments and recommendations on my previous notes on using P38 and primer filler?
Kind regards from Fred

I have a new spare reasonably clean set if you want them for whatever the Lytchet price is then PM me.

Offline Dr Al

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2018, 02:43:20 pm »

Kind regards from Fred

Good that they know about it.

In terms of repair - the holes I'd use the alloy method of Iain Rice in his book "Whitemetal loco kits" which is basically to use low-melt solder to fill them. This can be applied and then filed back to form a smooth unblemished surface.

Cheers,
Alan

Offline Fredastaire

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2018, 03:16:48 pm »
OUCH Alan, I have a new skill then to master, whilst I can Mig weld, stick weld, braze, electrical solder, this will be a new skill to investigate and learn. Who sells the low melt solder? Do I use Bakers flux?
Kind regards from Fred

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here
anything