!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: N Gauge points not conducting sparks  (Read 391 times)

Offline Josiebenn

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
N Gauge points not conducting sparks
« on: January 30, 2018, 07:00:26 pm »
After now 12 months of a single set of insulfrog peco points being installed and working perfectly, this week and with no visible cause, or any other suspected cause, I am having to pinch one of the travelling rails in order to make a good contact allowing the loco in the siding to pick up power and move. Unpinch and the loco stops.

to make my life easy/easier, is there such a thing as a genuine, made for the purpose, conductive grease (graphite or copper slip) that I can apply between the contact places. 

the unwanted gap I'm trying to close must be a fraction of a millimetre, or i would be able to see it. 

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: N Gauge points not conducting sparks
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2018, 07:14:19 pm »
Every now and then I have this issue with electrofrog points so I run a very fine needle file between the stock rails and point blades (once in each direction) and then run a pipe cleaner wetted with IPA between the rails as well. I find this helps.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2018, 07:33:21 pm »
I’ve experienced the same problem from time to time and agree with the course of action described by NN. Usually works a treat but do treat the point with care
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2018, 07:55:34 pm »
Clean between the blades as above.  Make sure the tie bar is throwing fully across - could be some grit trapped in the mechanism. An old toothbrush can be useful.  You can also bend the tip of the point blade very slightly to improve contact, but that's a last resort as it's usually dirt and grit that's the cause.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 07:57:53 pm by ntpntpntp »
Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 08:38:04 pm »
Agree with all of the above. I have bent the tips of some points, but you have to be very careful!
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Josiebenn

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2018, 10:08:20 pm »
Thank you to all responders.   Much appreciated, and will try this soon. Josephine

Online NinOz

• N Gauge Society Number: Ex3504
    • Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 02:45:08 am »
A strip of very fine grade abrasive paper folded over and pulled through the blade-rail area with the blade held lightly against the rail also works.
Pull from frog end forward to prevent any snagging on the blade tip.

CFJ
To be called pompous and arrogant - hell of a come down.
I tried so hard to be snobbish and haughty.

Offline Bob Tidbury

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 08:34:12 am »
I agree with all the above but would allso try a graphite stick which you can buy from Hobby craft ,WH Smiths or a good artists shop ,you need a very soft one that looks more like a crayon and the type wrapped in a paper sleeve.
You can then just gently rub it over the blades of the point so that some goes between the blade and stock rail ,you can also rub some on various parts of the rest of the track and a very small bit on the backs of your loco wheels this helps any pickup problems you might have.
It might be my imagination but since Ive tried this my locos seem to run much smoother .
Bob Tidbury

Offline Josiebenn

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 04:26:37 pm »
The suggestions to chemically clean and slightly abrade have worked.  No hesitation or pinching necessary now.

👍👍

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here
anything