!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tony's WorkBench Show and Tell  (Read 2117 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Tony's WorkBench Show and Tell
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2018, 06:45:44 pm »
Thanks for all these updates, Tony, excellent work.

Offline AJP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20372
  • 2mm Association Number: 4918
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2018, 03:21:43 pm »
Well long time and no updates, so here goes, first up is the 64xx to 74xx conversion that I did for Chris in Prague, which basically consists of removing the auto gear from the buffer beam, squaring off the curve of the bunker to make a right angle and adding the beading and adding hand rails to the running plate.

Next up was this Stainer Princess kit (BH Enterprises) I bought from Hattons for 10, and it even had name plates also! Bought a second hand duchess chassis and modded everything to  fit, railmatch paint sprayed on, fox lining.

Next is a project that I am still working on, which is a Langley twin rail car.

Still some more filling and priming to be done.

The trailer car, I have made a Plastikard floor up for this, as the white metal one included in the kit was going to make way too heavy.

Trailing car bogie with white metal overlay glued on.

Regards Tony

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2018, 03:46:32 pm »
Very nice work, Tony.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2018, 04:04:25 pm »
Many thanks for this update, Tony. You did a superb job on the 64xx to 74xx (7446, of 83E, St. Blazey, 8/50-4/62) conversion. Thanks a lot.

The Stainer Princess looks very good, too. You must be very pleased with it.

Very good progress on the Langley ex-GWR twin diesel railcar set using a Graham Farish ex-GWR diesel railcar chassis, too. It should be W33W plus W38W but I'm wondering whether its final livery was the original, lighter BR DMU green ('malachite') or the later dark green? I always thought that it was the darker green.

Offline AJP

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: November 13, 2018, 02:51:18 pm »
well, I realised there was a problem with the Langley Rail car, and that is that the top lights for the windows are not there!, so have started to make them from styrene.
One side done!

Other side half done

Chassis with its insulating tape coat

Jig for getting the spacing correct, also the graphite acts as a release agent.

Test fit of chassis to body

Also at the same time I started to make up these ultima 6 wheel bogies for some farish Pullmans, all solder construction, apart from the last little axle box covers, they kept getting stuck on the soldering iron tip.
The bits cut from fret.

One made up, just needs painting and bending up.

so that's it until next time.

Cheers!

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #50 on: November 13, 2018, 09:22:00 pm »
Many thanks, Tony, for this update. I had not realised that the top lights for the windows are not included. Your rig and, especially, the use of graphite is ingenious.

I hope you were able to download the excellent article on modelling GWR diesel railcars?

6-wheeled bogies for the Pullmans will be an interesting variation.

Have you thought about some brass coach kits, like Hawksworth stock not made by Graham Farish? e.g. BCK, and Sleepers?

Offline AJP

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2018, 12:07:05 pm »
HI Chris, some where in a drawer I have a 12 wheeled restaurant car, etched brass from Etched pixels, bought years ago, but probably next up for construction, in crimson and cream of course.
I thought also for representing a 3 car train with the rail car what about a minitrix MK1 in S.R. Green?
Below photos of the finished 6 wheel bogies, and windows finished on the rail cars - I did wonder about cutting windows out of some old minitrix coachs, but  I would need 2 min, and prices aren't that cheap for them!
6 wheel bogies, some of the mount on the carriage has to be cut out to accomadate the centre pair of wheels.

I should really do the under frame also  :(

Rail cars

Best Regards

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2018, 09:28:37 pm »
Hi Tony, thanks for the photos. and the latest update. Actually, I do have a spare Minitrix coach body. North Cornwall being pretty hilly, it is unlikely that a centre car would have been used. In any case, it should be a Collett C77 Open Third coach. A Dapol Collett Second, resprayed and lined might do?

W33W+W1096W+W38W definitely received green livery; I think the dark rather than lighter (malachite shade). (Collett 1938 C77 Open Third W1096W was repainted in BR multiple unit green to work with the diesel railcar twin unit W33W + W38W.) In the ColourRail phot., notice the way that the lining was applied to W1096W - level with the lining on W33W and W38W but above the waist so interrupted by the windows!

The six-wheel bogies look very impressive under the Pullmans. After those, a coach body kit would be easy! 8-)

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here
anything