!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tony's WorkBench Show and Tell  (Read 2116 times)

Offline AJP

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 20372
  • 2mm Association Number: 4918
    • Awards
Tony's WorkBench Show and Tell
« on: January 25, 2018, 05:15:50 pm »
Well, as I always seem to have one project or another on the go I decided to try and document some of them here, the first up is  a canopy I built, as I was not to happy with the Ratio one that was currently on the layout.
I found a photo of Gobowen railway station canopy:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Canopy_on_platform_2,_Gobowen_railway_station_(geograph_4023958).jpg

I then made some formers and combined the original ratio canopy supports with a roof from a carriage shed.

Next up was some almost operating ground signals, other forum members in another thread had commented on the availability of dual colour micro LEDS, so combined with dummy ground signals I decided to see if I could make some that I could change from red to green to simulate their operation.

It turned out to be quite difficult to photo the LED's and get the colour to show, to the naked eye it is OK, but does not come out in the photos.

Finally some photos of a Z class shunter I have started to build for Chris in Prague.

The kit bits, they needed a bit of a clean and filling in some places

Will try and post some more photos of the Z class as realised it is more advanced than these photos.

Offline AJP

• Awards
Re: Tony's WorkBench Show and Tell
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 06:15:29 pm »
More Photos of the Z class:

Now waiting for Door, dome and safety valve , should be coming from N brass soon.

Aside from this another job I did the other day, which was more under the workbench not on it, was laty some flooring that I found in a skip! I just could not let it go to waste.

Offline AJP

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 03:36:59 pm »
So I started another job yesterday, and finished today - something which is dear to my heart, and that was to repair my minitrix 2-6-0 chassis, the crosshead valve linkage had broken off - something which happens to alot I suspect. I had several plans but in the end decided to try and make it up from scrap etch. Should also thank J.F.Heath for his excellent web site, Classic UK Minitrix Models, which details how to strip them down and rebuild. 

So here are two views of the broken gear.

The broken bit and its substitute.

Ready for painting

Test fitting

Painted and fitted, it was harder to screw in the 14BA bolt than you might think!

Original Minitrix part glued on top, unfortunately on the other side that part fell apart and was unusable.

Offline AJP

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 06:19:43 pm »
Some more photos of the Z class:

Steps added

Boiler door with hand rails and No plate added

Whistle and assorted pipe work

And here are some photos of a Minitrix class 42 warship which I bought cheap, but after lots of work on it it turns out the motor has at least two shorts on the poles of the motor :'( :'(
Somebody else has done the re-paint, but not do bad - I'll just look for another motor now.

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 06:55:05 pm »
Very impressive

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2018, 07:07:03 pm »
Well, as I always seem to have one project or another on the go I decided to try and document some of them here, the first up is  a canopy I built, as I was not to happy with the Ratio one that was currently on the layout.
I found a photo of Gobowen railway station canopy:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Canopy_on_platform_2,_Gobowen_railway_station_(geograph_4023958).jpg

I then made some formers and combined the original ratio canopy supports with a roof from a carriage shed.

Next up was some almost operating ground signals, other forum members in another thread had commented on the availability of dual colour micro LEDS, so combined with dummy ground signals I decided to see if I could make some that I could change from red to green to simulate their operation.

It turned out to be quite difficult to photo the LED's and get the colour to show, to the naked eye it is OK, but does not come out in the photos.

Finally some photos of a Z class shunter I have started to build for Chris in Prague.

The kit bits, they needed a bit of a clean and filling in some places

Will try and post some more photos of the Z class as realised it is more advanced than these photos.

what size are the LED's

Offline AJP

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 07:39:44 pm »
Hi Paul, not sure and don't have any with me right now to measure, maybe next week, but they really are small, possibly 1.5 to 2mm square, they came with the leads already soldered on - I will see if I can find the original post.

Offline AJP

• Awards

Offline paulprice

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2018, 09:26:35 pm »
brilliant thanks for the link

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 11:00:33 am »
Many thanks, Tony, for your excellent work on the Z Class 30956 and all the photos. detailing the progress on the model.

The LED ground signals are an excellent idea. I agree with you about your platform canopy. It looks excellent and reminds me of the one at Falmouth Docks station:

https://thestationmaster.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/falmouth-docks-station.jpeg

Offline AJP

• Awards
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 07:34:42 pm »
Thanks for your kind words Chris.
More photos of the Z Class with AWS box! Front buffer beam pipe work is made up also, will take a photo later.

Now some photos of another project that I started, and that was to re-motor a Minitrix Class42, using mounting brackets that I have made up and a motor from the 2mm F.S.

Motor with mounts

Underside

In situ, screws not in place but have had a dry run, and all goes together OK

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 08:06:31 pm »
Many thanks indeed, Tony, for this latest update and the excellent photos. I think you're making a really superb job of 30956. The AWS battery box is a really excellent added detail. I'm sure that the front bufferbeam pipework will look excellent, too.

I'm sure that the remotored Minitrix Class 42 "Warship" will be an equal success.

Offline AJP

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2018, 04:41:42 pm »
More updates!

First up my replacement motor mod for the Minitrix class 42, this is the mK2 version, mk3 was fitted and works very well

Next up the Z class I am building for Chris in Prague, in primer

First coat, but had to fill some divets in the tank sides

Next up photos of a County class loco I started, with bigger drivers and added detail, I also raised the tender by 2mm, it just seemed too low to me.

As Original

With extra 2mm

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2018, 04:56:05 pm »
Thank you, Tony. The Z is looking very good. Glad you were able to remotor the Minitrix Class 42 "Warship"; excellent models for their time. The "County" will look very good, too, I'm sure. Looking at a photo. of a "County" the revised tender seems to line up properly with the cab. 1006 "County of Cornwall" was allocated to St. Blazey (83E) from June to October 1960 (along with 1002), so would make a very appropriate choice.

Offline AJP

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2018, 03:03:12 pm »
Thanks for the info Chris, will see what fox's have in stock.

Please Support Us!
November Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Nov 30
Total Receipts: £75.00
Above Goal: £20.00
Site Currency: GBP
136% 
November Donations

Advertise Here