!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tregonning - Layout in a (Largish) case  (Read 14428 times)

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
Re: Tregonning - Layout in a (Largish) case
« Reply #600 on: July 06, 2018, 11:05:31 am »
Sounds like a fabulous afternoon  :D

Although not a leading pig farm, the pigs at Windmill Hill (Bacon Buttie, and Apple Sauce) roam free

Do you think I need to get in extra security  ???

All best wishes
kevin

:beers:

A secure fence and a patrolling guard dog might be necessary.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
« Reply #601 on: July 08, 2018, 11:49:11 pm »
 :hellosign:   :greatpicturessign:  Many thanks for all the latest updates Martin, looking forward to seeing your decisions for the AA box
      regards Derek.

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #602 on: July 09, 2018, 04:49:11 pm »
Chris, Are you setting up a stoty line with the local bobby and reference to prize pigs ?

Yes, well spotted, Martin. 8-) It's been far too long since you began one of your stories about local characters. (I plan to finish one of my previous stories, soon, and add a very short one about Enka Lou-Lou, Susan, and the "Chelsea Girls" and the "Fruities" as a lead-in to the big summer festival in the grounds of Trevelver Castle!)
I may well start a mini drama about an “incident” at Tregonning shortly but not of the epic proportions of the one I wrote at Christmas.
I’d already been mulling it over so maybe I won’t be including pig rustlers in mylittle tale this time.
Watch this, or another, space.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #603 on: July 09, 2018, 08:14:41 pm »
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #604 on: July 12, 2018, 06:25:56 pm »
I’ve added iron gates to the park entrance this evening.
Not the finished article yet - just propped up at the moment but it needed something there as it was just an empty space before. I’ve been mulling over how to do it for ages.

I need to make the hedge to the right of the gates just a bit higher and paint the very top of the gates a bit tidier I think.
And the eagle eyed will notice that there is something lurking which I promised to re-model some weeks ago and which I must get around to replacing.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 06:31:31 pm by port perran »
My Layouts -

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #605 on: July 12, 2018, 06:41:03 pm »
Looks good, Martin. I agree with all your comments and, yes, the bus stop sign could be made slimmer.

Online dannyboy

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25492
    • Awards
« Reply #606 on: July 12, 2018, 06:43:32 pm »
What makes your modelling so good is the fact that it looks very realistic.  :thumbsup:
David.
I used to be indecisive - now I'm not - I don't think.

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #607 on: July 12, 2018, 10:31:38 pm »
 :hellosign: Superb photo Martin, looks so right
     regards Derek.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #608 on: July 13, 2018, 06:01:18 pm »
My apologies, Dave. The tip was yours.

Is your applicator a Peco one, Martin, or a Chinese import via eBay, please?
The applcator (and grasses) are from WWS as recommended by Kevin (Phoenix). I think that WWS actually supply Peco.
I bought it as a kit including grass samples, glue and layering spray.
Excellent service plus their website contains some very helpful videos.

I'm about to order my static grass applicator plus grasses and need advice, please. Unfortunately, the special glues cannot be posted from the U.K. I'm wondering if dilute PVA glue will work (it works for scatter.) I'm also thinking that 1mm and 2mm long grass will be kept long enough in 2mm scale. Should I order packs in 30g or 100g? Spring, Summer, and dead grass would seem to be enough for early summer. I understand I need an applicator: the Peco / WWS Pro Static Grass Precision Applicator seems to be fine for the relatively small areas on the layout. Do I need a 'puffer' bottle, too? I may be able to buy something suitable in a local plastic hardware shop, in Prague? I'm looking at about GBP100 already! I'm only thinking of using static grass along the front side of the layout as scatter looks fine further back.

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #609 on: July 13, 2018, 08:38:50 pm »
A busy day for me.
First thing we did some food shopping then I did a couple of hours consultancy work for a friend before I had an hour or so working on Tregonning. Then we took a stroll through the fields to a local pub that is holding a small beer and cider festival this weekend.
Anyway, I added some clutter to both the small goods yard and the general storage yard near to Tregonning station.
The 45xx tank is awaiting the road which she’ll get as soon as the 14xx on the daily milk has passed through.

My Layouts -

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #610 on: July 13, 2018, 08:54:03 pm »
My apologies, Dave. The tip was yours.

Is your applicator a Peco one, Martin, or a Chinese import via eBay, please?
The applcator (and grasses) are from WWS as recommended by Kevin (Phoenix). I think that WWS actually supply Peco.
I bought it as a kit including grass samples, glue and layering spray.
Excellent service plus their website contains some very helpful videos.

I'm about to order my static grass applicator plus grasses and need advice, please. Unfortunately, the special glues cannot be posted from the U.K. I'm wondering if dilute PVA glue will work (it works for scatter.) I'm also thinking that 1mm and 2mm long grass will be kept long enough in 2mm scale. Should I order packs in 30g or 100g? Spring, Summer, and dead grass would seem to be enough for early summer. I understand I need an applicator: the Peco / WWS Pro Static Grass Precision Applicator seems to be fine for the relatively small areas on the layout. Do I need a 'puffer' bottle, too? I may be able to buy something suitable in a local plastic hardware shop, in Prague? I'm looking at about GBP100 already! I'm only thinking of using static grass along the front side of the layout as scatter looks fine further back.

I've used WWS and they do provide a good service. I should think PVA will work. I've always applied more than one layer of grass, using WWS's layering spray to fix the second and subsequent layers. I guess you can't get that so perhaps dilute PVA in a small spray bottle will do the trick. The 100g packs will do a large area. I bought summer in that size and have only used a little! All the others I bought in 20g and 30g packs, though I have used up some of them. I would get some 4mm as well as the shorter ones, choosing the warmer colours - they can suggest weeds growing through the grass. Use them in small patches and they stand out nicely. I've not had much success with the puffer bottle and have only used it in tight corners, where I wanted to suggest weeds growing against a wall, for example.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #611 on: July 13, 2018, 09:27:39 pm »
Many thanks, Roger. Which additional colours did you use, please? Fortunately, I've yet to send off my order to Hattons. (I'll be mainly using Peco products which, I think, are the same. Hattons postage costs to here, are very reasonable.)

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #612 on: July 13, 2018, 11:07:58 pm »
Many thanks, Roger. Which additional colours did you use, please? Fortunately, I've yet to send off my order to Hattons. (I'll be mainly using Peco products which, I think, are the same. Hattons postage costs to here, are very reasonable.)

Chris - I bought not really knowing which colours I'd want. I did get some spring mix but used very little. Summer mix, autumn mix and patchy were the main ones all of which I got in 1, 2 and 4mm. I also got dead grass and straw in 4mm, just for small touches. I further mixed colours for some areas - summer plus autumn, for example. Some of the garden lawns are neat summer suggesting well watered and cut grass. The village green has some slight variation of colour. The wilder areas use more autumn and patchy in the mix. I tried to use warmer colours just round the edge of some areas - where the church yard grass meets the path was one such.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #613 on: July 14, 2018, 07:55:27 am »
Many thanks, Roger. I'm aiming for the look of early Summer on a (semi-mythical) clear blue skies, bright sunny day, so had, prviously, rejected autumn. I think Wrenton is more late summer / early autumn, as is Tregonning? I have already mixed scatters to good effect and intend applying static grass over the scatter along the front of the layout as this is where it is most visible. I will order a mix of 1, 2, and 4mm long grasses and, mainly, use spring, summer (30g packs) but with some autumn and dead (in the smallest packets I can buy).

Offline rogerdB

• Awards
« Reply #614 on: July 14, 2018, 10:54:58 am »
Many thanks, Roger. I'm aiming for the look of early Summer on a (semi-mythical) clear blue skies, bright sunny day, so had, prviously, rejected autumn. I think Wrenton is more late summer / early autumn, as is Tregonning? I have already mixed scatters to good effect and intend applying static grass over the scatter along the front of the layout as this is where it is most visible. I will order a mix of 1, 2, and 4mm long grasses and, mainly, use spring, summer (30g packs) but with some autumn and dead (in the smallest packets I can buy).

Most of the villagers are getting ready for the best kept garden competition, so you're correct, late summer is about right for Wrenton. And your choice of colours sounds right for early summer. Or just dead grass for the summer we're getting here!

Please Support Us!
July Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jul 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
July Donations

Advertise Here
anything