!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Tregonning - Layout in a (Largish) case  (Read 10079 times)

Phoenix and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Layout in a (Largish) case
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2018, 07:05:42 pm »
Iím thinking that the layout in a case will be a spur off the Newquay to Par line just south of Quintrell Downs. A line going south Eastwards towards Summercourt about 7 miles from Newquay. The whole branch line from Quintrell Downs to Summercourt is about 4.5 miles.
My station and creamery will be at Tregonning, the only intermediate station on the line.
The main , infrequent, passenger traffic is the branch train to Newquay often in the form of a 14xx and autocoach although a 64xx pannier is sometimes used or in later years a class 121 bubble car.
There are also twice daily services (via Qintrell Downs South Jct) to Wadebridge and Truro - usually 2 coach trains.
Milk and cream traffic normally travels down to Truro (via Perranporth) to join the St Erth milk or sometimes via Wadebridge and on to Exeter.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 07:21:25 pm by port perran »
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2018, 07:22:42 pm »
I really don't think it will be a problem if goods trains have to be shunted into the goods siding to allow a passenger train to pass. Somewhere I have a photo. of a Bulleid Light Pacific on a short goods train doing just that. If passenger trains are worked on the 'one engine in steam' principle (appropriate for a single-track branchline) there will never be a need for passenger trains to pass, so no need for a loop.

Incidentally, as Martin knows, the milk tankers can be worked to and from the creamery on the end of the branch passenger train, probably a BCK, which should be enough off-peak with an SK plus BCK sufficing for peak-time services. I think empty milk tanks would be likely to arrive in the morning and leave, loaded, in the evening outside peak passenger times.

Online themadhippy

• Awards
« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2018, 08:04:01 pm »
No the lid doesnít come off (at least not easily)

If you want a removable lid replace the existing hinges with lift off hinges http://www.penn-elcom.com/default.asp?MC=01100501&LG=EN

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2018, 08:11:51 pm »
No the lid doesnít come off (at least not easily)

If you want a removable lid replace the existing hinges with lift off hinges http://www.penn-elcom.com/default.asp?MC=01100501&LG=EN

Thanks for the tip. However, I have no current plans to make the lid lift off.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -

Offline Pjlons83

• Awards
« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2018, 10:45:17 pm »
Looking good so far. Iíve been looking at small layouts like this and wondering about the large desk drawers in the man cave...... then I think I should concentrate more on the current work in progress and several other projects I have on the go  :D

Looking forward to seeing it develop.
Thanks,
Paul

Clouds Hill - My first layout currently under construction; http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=39084.0

Offline port perran

• Awards
Tregonning - A layout in a (Largish) case
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2018, 09:13:15 am »
A messy job completed this morning before we go for a walk and coffee (if the rain holds off).

A layer of paint under the track bed. Once dry I can lay the track and glue it down.
Looks a mess you may say. Why isnít it neat and tidy with straight edges?
Well....countryside and scenery is rarely tidy and straight , it will all blend in with the surroundings in due course. The dark paint under the track is metely forming a base for the ballast so that no bits of wood show through.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 09:22:44 am by port perran »
My Layouts -

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2018, 09:17:28 am »
Very clever; very clever indeed.

Best wishes for a rain-free day.  It looks like it is about to start, here, any minute!

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2018, 09:44:26 am »
Thanks for the latest update, Martin. I bought two tins of 'household' acrylic paint: dark brown and dark green plus a large brush. The top layer of insulating material was then sealed with dark brown. Any areas to be 'grassed', once sealed with tiling grout which had completely dried, were then sealed with the dark green. These were quick and economical ways of sealing everything and worked well.

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2018, 02:22:03 pm »
A very nice walk around Argal reservoir with coffee and a cake at the end earlier this morning.
This afternoon, onto the next job which involves raiding the pantry:

Iím always a bit apprehensive about this part , get it wrong and its rip it up and correct it, or live with a problem forever. Using setrack and insulfrog points means there is no getting away with things. It has to be perfect or stalling occurs.
So......no rushing.
Two of the three power  feeds are in place already.
My Layouts -

Offline MARK1985

• N Gauge Society Number: 26304
  • Hi All
    • Ebay
    • Facebook
    • Awards
« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2018, 02:36:45 pm »
really looking forward to seeing this layout develop, cracking start so far

:thumbsup:

Offline Jerry Howlett

• N Gauge Society Number: 11284
    • Awards
« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2018, 03:40:22 pm »
A very nice walk around Argal reservoir with coffee and a cake at the end earlier this morning.
This afternoon, onto the next job which involves raiding the pantry:

I’m always a bit apprehensive about this part , get it wrong and its rip it up and correct it, or live with a problem forever. Using setrack and insulfrog points means there is no getting away with things. It has to be perfect or stalling occurs.
So......no rushing.
Two of the three power  feeds are in place already.

Well by the looks of the picture , if it all goes wrong you can enjoy a decent meal...   Good luck with your progress.

Jerry

Some days its just not worth gnawing through the straps.

Offline Novice41

• Awards
« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2018, 03:46:11 pm »
Perhaps add wheels?

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2018, 04:52:39 pm »
Perhaps add wheels?
A good idea but living in a small twisty old cortage, Iím not sure where Iíd wheel it to. Easier to carry it.
My Layouts -

Offline Chris in Prague

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2018, 07:40:16 pm »
I hope the trackwork is all fine, first time, Martin. With the relatively tight curves, I guess you won't be running any large locos.?

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2018, 08:03:33 pm »
I hope the trackwork is all fine, first time, Martin. With the relatively tight curves, I guess you won't be running any large locos.?
No itís going to be panniers , praries, 14xx, M7 and some of my UM models. Plus various diesels with the exception of the Class 52.
My Layouts -

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here