!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Tora Bora Line  (Read 3927 times)

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
Re: The Tora Bora Line
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2018, 09:58:28 pm »
You're capturing the prototype very well.
Brian looks very proud of his rosettes :D

Online RailGooner

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17356
    • Ebay
    • Awards
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2018, 10:31:59 pm »
I'd say you've got it Dizz. :thumbsup:

:wonderfulmodelling: :greatpicturessign:
Per Ardua ad Astra | Mens Agitat Molem | Victoria Concordia Crescit

I'm supporting Project Railway Honour

Offline Dizz

• N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
« Reply #107 on: August 09, 2018, 07:21:09 pm »
Another weekend away showing with the boy....3rd CC and Show Champion (subject to KC confirmation) on Saturday and a Reserve CC on Sunday. So proud and pleased with Brian

Anyway, back to model railways!
Had a successful afternoon in the man cave.  Have made a start on the next section: my take on Churston Station. Need to get the road bridge in first so had a trial fit.

Needed a few tweaks, then developed a CAd drawing and cutter files for the laser.  Set of parts

Bits glued together with Mitre Fast Cyano and Aliphatic

Ready for painting

In situ... side clearances good but need to raise it up a couple mm, that's a very easy job with a couple bits of ply packing though

The original stone bridge

And my ply and mdf version.  The left arch is wider because I have added an extra point leading to a semi-hidden storage loop (the Virgin HST is on it in the photo above).

On holiday for 2 weeks now, so another gap in progress I'm afraid
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:44:54 pm by Dizz »

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #108 on: September 18, 2018, 10:03:01 pm »
Been a busy few weeks with very little shed time, but did manages to complete a few minor jobs never-the-less.
Churston Bridge has been painted and is ready to plant.  Can now make everything around it fit in place

Back scene board transition has been made.  The rectangular hole will be hidden behind an embankment on the fuel depot board.

I have glued together plastic Peco platform edging and have started painting/weathering before gluing to the baseboard.

And finally whilst away I was able to build some NGS wagon kits. Have finished 5 Loriot D and have 4 Mica B plus 6 GPV wagons awaiting transfers.

Online port perran

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #109 on: September 19, 2018, 08:15:09 am »
Looking good Dizz and good to meet you at Hayle Show a few weeks back with Mike.
If it looks right then it most probably is right.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2018, 10:10:15 am »
Had a play with the laser settings and managed to produce some GWR platform seats.  That end logo is under 2mm in diameter

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2018, 10:25:28 am »
Had a play with the laser settings and managed to produce some GWR platform seats.  That end logo is under 2mm in diameter

:goggleeyes: :goggleeyes:

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2018, 12:13:15 pm »
:goggleeyes: :goggleeyes:

Yes, my eyes were like that after making 20 seats!!  :)
I made a jig to hold the ends and used fine-tipped tweezers to position/glue the "planks". Unfortunately the GWR will be lost when they are painted.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #113 on: October 09, 2018, 12:52:52 pm »
More slow progress: have not had a free weekend for quite a while now, however I have been able to work on more NGS wagon models ( 6 x GWR GPV and 4 Mica B) whilst I was away from the man-cave.  Just waiting on transfers to arrive and I will then put some photos up.  I also made up and painted Peco Platform edging into appropriate lengths ready to be glued to the base board. Another job I was able to finish was repairing some broken rails on a few Dapol Dogfish wagons.  This proved to be rather frustrating and took far longer than anticipated. 

First task was to make a bending jig using the laser:

0.3mm diameter wire bent to shape. 0.8mm square plastic rod with 0.3mm diameter holes drilled in the ends.  Glued in place with very little thick cyano and painted.  Close up picture doesn't do the repair justice because it actually looks very good in your hand; not that it matters when they are hidden inside a rake anyway!

Last week I repainted the rails along the sea wall with sleeper grime and then moved on to do the rails in the Churston Station area.  The paint was allowed to harden off over the weekend then last night I cleaned up the tops of the rails and made a start on gluing down the platform edging.

Am working from the rear to the front, continually checking clearance with HST Mk3 coaches (these have the largest lateral over-hangs) as I glue the edging down 10 cm at a time.  I have slightly enlarged the cattle dock to hold more wagons that it did in reality.  ...........And yes I know the picture shows different coaches. I run them past the platform and through the points too as a double check

Should be able to get the Up platform and Brixham Bay fitted tonight and then I can start ballasting.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #114 on: October 09, 2018, 12:56:06 pm »
Not sure if this photo will work on the forum.  If it doesn't I will delete the post.
A panoramic view of the Up platform and cattle dock............

Long enough to accept 8 Mk3 coaches with the HST power cars overhanging the ramps.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 01:00:11 pm by Dizz »

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #115 on: October 10, 2018, 12:09:21 pm »
Got the Down platform glued in place last night but didn't feel like doing any ballasting. 

I am using something called "Mitre Glue" which is a thick, clear product similar to thick cyano.  It allows a good minute of wriggle time but goes off in 5 seconds with a squirt of the accelerator that comes with it.

Now to finalise the Bay platform. 

I have deliberately left plenty of track to exceed the 14xx and 2 autocoaches after the point shown in this 1950s photo taken from the road bridge.  However, I don't want to loose the "character" and general arrangement of the station by making it too long as I have already taken quite a few modeller's liberties with the plan already.  Will check what will fit on Brixham platform and take it from there.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2018, 01:40:29 pm »
As the layout is based on various places/features in South Devon and Cornwall I have named different sections.  I thought I would try making some small name plates just to see what they would look like as a finishing touch once the valance has been painted:

Kennaton from Kennaway Tunnel at Dawlish and Dainton Tunnel west of Newton Abbot.  Greenson from Greenaway Tunnel between Churston and Kingswear and Parsons Tunnel  near Teignmouth.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #117 on: October 12, 2018, 11:50:32 am »
Platform edges all done. Brixham station platform can take 4 mk1s so that's how long I have made the bay.

The weather down here is forecast to be atrocious for the next 24+ hours, so plenty of time in the man-cave coming up  :) :thumbsup:

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything