!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Tora Bora Line  (Read 3881 times)

Offline Dizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
Re: The Tora Bora Line
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2018, 11:46:31 am »
Right way up for me too.............and in My Gallery

Offline Dizz

• Awards
Sea Wall Cliffs 1
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2018, 03:01:23 pm »
Made a start on Teignmouth cliffs but I gave the whole length of back scene a coat of matt varnish first (to make cleaning easier). 
4mm ply rear formers to define the skyline working along in 4mm ply sections 500mm long.  2 x 4mm ply strips glued along the bottom edge to effectively make a L-Section girder: nice and stiff/strong. I could see it was going to be very difficult to work on it as one piece so I separated the end tunnel from the cliffs.  Am glad I did that as I am now able to work on much more manageable parts on the bench and avoid getting plaster and paint on the back scene.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
Parsons Tunnel 1
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2018, 04:04:22 pm »
I made the Parsons and Greenway tunnel mouths several months ago on the laser cutter.  Aligned the mouths centrally on the track with a ply template and built the tunnel up around that.  All very rough and ready inside, but going for strength again and no-one will see it when finished anyway.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
Parsons Tunnel 2
« Reply #63 on: May 09, 2018, 04:09:11 pm »
Molded rock faces cut and sand easily with a razor saw and coarse Permagrit bar. Bit of shaper sheet and plaster above Greenway tunnel mouth.  Gaps filled and a final wipe over with a foam sanding pad.  Am very pleased with how it looks so far.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
Sea Wall Cliffs 2
« Reply #64 on: May 09, 2018, 04:20:31 pm »
A single length of `Shaper Sheet was clamped between the upright former and doublers and roughly bent/trimmed to shape. 

Cast Plaster cliff rocks glued to scrap ply and glued in turn to the rear profile structure to follow the curve of the tracks, leaving an area for a signal box.  Once I had completed approx 50% of the length I wanted to lock everything in place so the Shaper sheet was bent to fit up close to the cliffs and tack glued to the moldings.  I started applying the plaster slurry and as I progressed Assorted additional rock faces were added using the plaster as the adhesive.  When dry the edges were filled with more plaster to get rid of any gaps.  Cliff section is about 40% built now, but I am away for the next week so unfortunately another break in progress coming up.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2018, 09:03:55 pm »
That laser cutter is a very useful tool. Great modeling and bomb proof too!
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: May 14, 2018, 01:53:19 pm »
Back to it and last night finished the cliffs, just the join lnes with the tunnel sections left to tidy up and then it will be painting time.

Obviously had to have a test run by to see what it looks like ;)

Offline Dizz

• Awards
Re-seating Albert Bridge
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2018, 10:54:54 am »
The door gap measurement has altered over the winter and the bridge wasn’t seating properly on the supports (pushed up by the electrical contact springs).  To over-come this I have had to introduce some form of locking mechanism in the form of sliding ply plates on the underside, tapered to pull the deck down tight to the supports.  Added bonus in that the track aligns better than it ever did before with the positive location.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
Time for some paint
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2018, 12:02:59 pm »
Followed the “Leopard Spot” method for painting rocks demonstrated in several You Tube videos.  I did try it out on a test piece first; glad I did because it took several different paint applications to get a result I was happy with. I used Yellow ochre and concrete as my secondary colours and burnt umber as the dominant colour with burnt umber/yellow ochre overall wash as the accenting colour.  The colour reproduction of the cliffs and tunnel mouths in the books and downloaded photos I have are all different, so have applied Rule One wrt my sandstone colour.  Am going to give it a few days before I decide whether to use any dark grey wash in the cracks, etc to further pick out texture.  For the time being here is the result with earth base coat applied to track bed and cliff tops (no surprise that the phone camera/shed lighting has also altered the colours slightly).  Will look fine once there is some grass and foliage.

And with some obligatory trains:

Offline Dizz

• Awards
More paint
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2018, 04:29:27 pm »
In the end it took several coats of different colour washes to reach a reasonable sand stone colour.  The tunnel mouths and walls were painted as required and also received some basic weathering washes, then the areas destined for foliage cover were painted earth colour.  Ground cover built up through many applications of different colour/size scenic material.   Cliff section next.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
Sea Wall
« Reply #70 on: June 01, 2018, 09:54:15 am »
Sea wall laser cut from 2mm MDF. Easily curved and glued to the balsa track bed.  Joints disguised with 0.4mm ply pillars.  Will add a 1/8” balsa promenade and 0.8mm ply capping stones idc.  Everything dry brushed with various stone colours and fixed with airbrushed matt varnish.
Knocked up a base for the signal box to stand on too.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 10:00:31 am by Dizz »

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #71 on: June 01, 2018, 10:00:16 am »
With approx 50 metres of visible track to paint, ballast and weather I have been putting off the task for as long as I could using the excuse of wanting to fully check that my track laying was up to spec first.  However the best way to tackle a big job like this is to make it lots of smaller bite-sized chunks tasks, so I have made a start on the section from Churston to the bridge.........which is good as that covers the cliff section am working on :D
First Airbrush rails with sleeper grime.
Before:

After

Well worth the effort  :)
NB how the solder blob for the dropper has been "lost"
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 11:26:16 am by Dizz »

Offline Dizz

• Awards
Sea Wall Cliffs 3
« Reply #72 on: June 01, 2018, 10:50:38 am »
Applied some mixed fine turf as a base layer along the top of the cliffs and some ledges.  When the glue had dried I applied mixed static grass (various colours in 1.5, 2.0 and 2.5 mm lengths) using an el-cheapo battery powered static grass applicator from china (to be fair it worked very well).
Applicator:

Before

After, spot the difference???

Doesn’t look like much in that photo does it? However, to the naked eye it looks good.  If I zoom in…..

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: June 01, 2018, 08:31:12 pm »
The static grass looks good. :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #74 on: June 06, 2018, 04:50:01 pm »
Added a little 4 mm grass in a few patches fixed using WWS layering spray.  Built up the brush areas with assorted scenic materials to match in with what I did on the tunnels.  With this section largely complete I was able to fix it to the baseboard.
Panoramic shot along the sea wall:

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here