!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Tora Bora Line  (Read 3144 times)

Online Dizz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
Re: The Tora Bora Line
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2018, 11:47:04 am »
The spreader is doing a good job. A photo of it if possible. I think you could set up a small business making them. Congratulations on getting best of breed. I hope he had a little extra in his bowl that night!

He did...he usually gets a treat after shows regardless :)

2mm Persepex. First version onthe right let out too much ballast and didn't sit on the rails very well; edges kept catching on the track rail chars.
Version 2 with smaller slots better positioned wrt the sleepers with an extra step cut to clear the chairs.  When the ply wears out simple case of gluing a new part over the top.

Online Dizz

• Awards
Re: April Update
« Reply #46 on: May 01, 2018, 11:56:59 am »
Well done, Brian - congratulations!

Fleet Air Arm?

Best Wishes.

John

Good spot  :thumbsup: ..............yes, retired 2 1/2 years ago now but still carry the corporate branding  :D

Online Dizz

• Awards
Back Boards
« Reply #47 on: May 01, 2018, 12:08:57 pm »
The back boards were given two coats of matt varnish (rubbing down before each application) to seal the surface.  An inch or so of the top edge was sprayed with white primer.  I decided to use Peco Medium back scene sheets and these have been applied using DeLuxe Materials Back Scene adhesive.  I donít have any experience of using anything else as this is the first time I have made any back scenes, but Iím very impressed with the product and the results I have obtained.
Back scene sheets have been glued on from the door all the way around to Churston station.

Online Dizz

• Awards
Lift-Out Section
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2018, 02:57:16 pm »
The track running behind the sink is pretty vulnerable to all sorts of splashes and general crud so I wanted to add some protection in the form of a Lift out tunnel section.
I made the scale-ish tunnel mouths a while ago based on Kennaway Tunnel at Dawlish and Marley Tunnel between Totnes and South Brent. 

Space is fairly tight and I spend a while sketching out various solutions before settling on what I am doing now.  Lots of measurements and test pieces before laser cutting the first bits from 4mm ply

Only being held together by 2 narrow glued edges the structure was fairly fragile.  Had to pack and blue tac other parts in place whilst checking alignment.

With the sides in the correct positions I took measurements and made cross members to fit the gap.

Online Dizz

• Awards
Lift-Out Section 2
« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2018, 03:06:55 pm »
I had already cut locating slots in the back wall ready for the cross-members and once they were glued in place everything became much stiffer and more manageable.  Uprights tacked in place to give an indication of intended ground level.

I could then take a look at positioning Dawlish tunnel mouth and fettling the joint for a good fit/clearances.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 03:37:07 pm by Dizz »

Online Dizz

• Awards
Lift-Out Section 3
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2018, 03:54:41 pm »
With the main bit of the tunnel steadied up I could think about how the end was going to mate with the cliffs.  More measuring and cardboard trial pieces leading to the plywood parts. 

Was then able to measure widths and add more formers to strengthen the area further.  Have also cut some ply parts to make the edge for the lift-out section to butt up against to use idc.  This whole area is now very strong and shouldnít twist when the plaster bandage goes on.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 03:55:58 pm by Dizz »

Offline DaveGlew

• Awards
« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2018, 06:16:21 pm »
Neat job!
If it looks right, it probably is right.

Online Dizz

• Awards
Lift-Out Section 4
« Reply #52 on: May 02, 2018, 10:56:39 am »
Added some fillets in the corners to further strengthen and extended the mouth wall back to the back.  Made some cardboard templates of the tunnel roof at either end running as far back as will be visible with the section in place and then transferred the shapes to ACAD.  Roofs laser cut from 0.4m (1/64Ē) ply with the grain running in the correct direction to help follow the curve.  When I was happy with positioning and with the tunnel positively located in position I ran glue around the formers where they touched the lining.

« Last Edit: May 02, 2018, 11:09:12 am by Dizz »

Online Dizz

• Awards
Lift-Out Section 5
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2018, 11:08:13 am »
Added some internal doublers (am paranoid about it warping when the plaster is applied) and some 6mm (1/4Ē) balsa strips around the top edges to tack the plaster bandage to.  Last thing was to add the tunnel mouth wing at the bridge end. 

Now ready for some contour formers and the ground cover.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #54 on: May 02, 2018, 09:20:20 pm »
Looking excellent. Improves the look of the sink as well! :)
I think a laser cutter has to go on my wish list but a bit of homework first.
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online Dizz

• Awards
Lift-Out Section 6
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2018, 10:09:47 am »
Having seen a good review on Simonís Shed and after watching the Woodland Scenics video I decided to give Shaper Sheet a go.  Have to say it is very easy to bend/cut/fold/mold to the desired shape.  I trialled gluing an offcut to balsa and ply with thick cyano and that seemed to work so I carried on and fixed the sheet to the tunnel section.

Mixed up the plaster iaw instructions and applied with a spoon and scraper blade.  Used masking tape all around the perimeter to stop the plaster slurry running down over the sides and tunnel mouths. 

When the plaster had set it only needed a quick sanding to clean up the edges.

Online Dizz

• Awards
Lift-Out Section 7
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2018, 10:13:24 am »
To fill the valley gap at the right hand end I pasted a spare hill to the back board.

Gave it a quick coat of Woodland Scenics base colours to see what it looked like in situ, but I should have waited much longer as the plaster is still damp and the paint isnít drying.  Will now leave it a couple of days to thoroughly dry out.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 10:50:40 am by Dizz »

Offline sp1

• Awards
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2018, 03:34:35 pm »
Ah... the little known Peco Australian backscenes.. ;)

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2018, 08:37:51 pm »
It's not upside down. :doh:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline sp1

• Awards
« Reply #59 on: May 03, 2018, 11:52:11 pm »
It's not upside down. :doh:
It is at this end

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here