!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: The Tora Bora Line  (Read 3885 times)

Offline carlmt

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: The Tora Bora Line
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2018, 09:15:42 pm »
Thanks for the explanation!!

0.8mm wide is mighty thin but I agree with you that you run the risk of obliterating the work - I find that to get over that requires the power to be turned down, the speed increased a bit and then run the laser over the work 2 or three times to make the cut.

When I draw parts for our laser, I draw it all required size and then offset the lines 0.2mm to the side where the laser will 'follow'.  It appears that this kerf is consistent across all the materials I cut regardless of thickness.

Mightily impressed with your ladder and fence posts!!!!!!

Carl

Online Dizz

• N Gauge Society Number: 26050
    • Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2018, 04:29:30 am »
If I have trouble with a harder bit of ply and need more power to cut through I use that technique as well. If I am doing a window ( or ladders) I adjust the cutting order so the laser doesn't do the adjacent cut straight after to give the ply chance to cool before being hit again. My machine has something called "air assist" which blows air onto the cut point. It is mainly to blow the fumes away so the laser doesn't get attenuated but it also helps reduce charring that leads to setting fire to the work.
Am pretty sure my laser control software doesn't have the ability to offset the cut. If it does its not obvious......judging how other features are named there is alot lost in translation  :confused1:

Online Dizz

• Awards
Re: The Tora Bora Line - Remaining two walls
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2018, 11:42:08 am »
Been a busy week so not achieved very much again, but back to intentions for the layout now the track is down………………

I am splitting up the mainline run into different scenic sections separated by high ground and tunnels.  This adds variety cuts the scenic work up into bite size chunks.

In Torbay the line to Kingswear leaves Churston and after about a mile runs through Greenway Tunnel before emerging close to the River Dart, so once clear of the station limits on my layout the track disappears into a tunnel in the same way.  (Probably wont use the wing walls).

Online Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2018, 11:56:36 am »
The next section will be based on the line between Dawlish and Teignmouth so when it emerges from under the scenic break it will be from Parson’s Tunnel and will then run between red sandstone cliffs and the sea wall (laser cut from 3mm MDF). 

At the end of the sweeping curve it passes through another tunnel based on the entrance at the west end of Dawlish Station.  I know the geography is all wrong but Rule 1 again!!

To protect the track from splashes etc from the sink there will be a 2 foot lift out high ground section and the tunnel exit is a representation of Marley West tunnel portal (between Totnes and South Brent).

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:04:01 pm by Dizz »

Offline carlmt

• Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2018, 12:08:28 pm »
Tunnel portals on your laser I take it?
I have seen stone and brickwork done this way quite a few times now and I have always been very impressed with how they have turned out.

Online Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2018, 12:20:15 pm »
Tunnel portals on your laser I take it?
I have seen stone and brickwork done this way quite a few times now and I have always been very impressed with how they have turned out.
Yes, turn the power down and the speed up.  Takes a while to do but still fascinating to watch!   :D

Online Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2018, 10:50:25 pm »
If I have got it right this should be some video of the laser in action. just click on this link:
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:56:36 pm by Dizz »

Online Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2018, 10:55:47 pm »
The YouTube link above seems to work for me, so here is another video  :claphappy:

Online Dizz

• Awards
April Update
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2018, 12:02:58 pm »
Had a bit of distraction in February going in to March with the loss of my old boy Guinness with a tumour and then off to Crufts with Brian where he got first in his class  :D
However I have been back on it for the last 5 weeks now, making slow but steady progress.  I have been running a reasonable range of different locos and stock to test my track laying.  A few snags have been discovered in Churston and corrected: am now pretty happy with 75% of the run around the man cave and am moving in to the “scenic phase”.
The bad/cold weather did expose an issue with the bridge location method in that the doorway became 2mm wider!!! I tried various ways of introducing some flexibility in the fixed track either side but have decided to enlarge the locating holes into “slots” and use some metal canopy latches to lock the bridge in place.

Before I show progress I’ll finish off describing the remainder of the layout

Offline tutenkhamunsleeping

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23866
  • 2mm Association Number: 4854
    • Ebay
    • YouTube
    • My Rail Photos
    • Awards
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2018, 12:29:43 pm »
Excellent!  (‘Triffic work, Brian)

Online Dizz

• Awards
The Tora Bora Line - Remaining two walls
« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2018, 12:43:30 pm »
After Sink Tunnel the track then makes the corner where a generic bit of scenery with a small Tor will fill the dead space in the apex of the curve and then onto Royal Albert Bridge.

Landing in Cornwall there is a double junction to create two semi-hidden storage loops between sweeping S curves and the shed wall. 

These curves are inspired by the line between Liskeard and Bodmin Parkway running along the Glynn valley past Trago Mills and will be backed by some wooded raised ground (to help hide the storage loops).

A final turn contains the junction for the other end of the storage loops and a derelict Cornish tin mine engine and compressor houses.  The line then runs into another tunnel mouth, this time based on the one to the east of Redruth station platforms.

A final turn contains the junction for the other end of the storage loops and a derelict Cornish tin mine engine and compressor houses.  The line then runs into another tunnel mouth, this time based on the one to the east of Redruth station platforms.  The main lines then continues hidden from view behind the Brixham station back scene boards on Woodland Scenics foam track underlay (everything else is laid on 1mm cork) until they emerge once more from under the road bridge at Churston.

Online Dizz

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2018, 01:01:24 pm »
I wanted to tidy up the track bed edge so cut 3mm ply strips which were glued and screwed I place. Grey primer/undercoat and finished with satin black.  Makes quite a difference t the appearance imho.  Have done from the door all the way around to Churston to start with.

Back scene boards also cut from 3mm ply.  Am annoyed with myself for not adding them when I did the initial wood work for the track bed shelves.
Boards only roughly laid out in these photos.  I used 2 layers of 1.5 MDF in the corners.

Online Dizz

• Awards
Other jobs
« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2018, 01:19:31 pm »
In between times Churston points have been wired using a DCC Concepts ADS-8FX decoder.  I have to say I’m very impressed with this piece of kit; dead easy to set up, the CDUs have plenty of power to throw 2 solenoids in parallel and has built-in output to drive route indicating LEDs.

With around 40m of track to ballast I needed something to make the task a little less tedious so designed my own spreader.  All laser cut and “tunned” to give a decent result on peco code 55 track.  This is the result before any tidying-up with a brush.

Have also had a small production line running casting rock face for the cliffs.

And finally for now...........am dead chuffed with the new NGS Car Flats, so they have been out on "test runs"  ::) quite a few times too.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2018, 09:01:21 pm »
The spreader is doing a good job. A photo of it if possible. I think you could set up a small business making them. Congratulations on getting best of breed. I hope he had a little extra in his bowl that night!
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
Re: April Update
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2018, 08:02:10 pm »

Well done, Brian - congratulations!

Fleet Air Arm?

Best Wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £40.00
Below Goal: £15.00
Site Currency: GBP
73% 
October Donations

Advertise Here