!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Regleun and Tremargat (having another go)  (Read 1713 times)

Online port perran

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Port Regleun and Tremargat (having another go)
« Reply #30 on: December 27, 2017, 08:57:55 pm »
Samís cider  will go down very well indeed. Looking forward to it.
I have some Scottish cider here, received it for my birthday yesterday. Matured in oak whisky casks (another of my passions but thatís a nother story). Rather nice and at 6.0% , quite strong. Hick!
But I ramble, looking forward to development of the port area. The station building looks good.
Great stuff.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2018, 12:05:07 pm »
what is the large building supposed to be, across the layout (so between the linkspan tracks and the station) blocking all access to the dock it looks like a port authority building, no one in or out of the dock area without going through that building (PAPERS PLEASE!) It does at first glance look a little odd because we're used to railway buildings lining the trackside, but it's nice and imposing, as it should be. (this is my preference, but you're yet to build up the surrounding scene)

Placing it alongside the rails makes it look like a large station building, would this be the case? Most passengers would be simply passing through as trains would be timetabled to meet the boat so not much waiting around?

Placed on the dock (and filling in slightly) makes the birth for the rail ferry look much more specifically built for the car ferry but what purpose does the water side of the building serve?

How do people progress through the port when they come in by train?

How do people progress through the port arriving by sea?

I hope this helps you work through the placement and doesn't just serve to confuse, at the end of the day it's your layout and I look forward to seeing more.

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2018, 06:59:27 pm »
Hi Black Sheep,

Thank you for your input. 'Tis all been taken on board.

The layout has been taken down for house selling photos on Friday but unfortunately it probably wont be up again for at least 3 months even if we don't sell.

I have to have an ankle operation on Monday which means a cast then boot for 3 months. I thought I could put the layout back and work on it from my swivel chair but the 'house selling overlord' thinks it'll put people off when viewing (especially if they're good at modelling  :D).

So, it aint goin' back up on Saturday  :censored:.

I can't really argue as no driving for me so will have to rely on said sweetheart.

I do have a plan for a very small fishing harbour 4'x2 1/2' (Tremargat St. Croix), small roundy with a couple of sidings to work on. It'll be a practice for the bigger and proper Tremargat. Only about 2' x 2' will be scenically seen  and I hope it's liftable on my own  :worried:.

The basic board is nearly done, then how to conceal it  :hmmm:.

Anyway, thank you again. I still need to think about the ferry terminal, move or no move. A move will probably allow a town station instead but this whole complicated 'up in the air' move/ don't move thing doesn't help.

Thanks for listening and hopefully some Tremargat St. Croix progress soon. I'm aiming to have some Summer festivals with products from Cornwall, Somerset and further afield (mainly alcohol related with a few pasties thrown in).

Cheers weave  :beers:

Offline Black Sheep

• Awards
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2018, 07:15:45 pm »

Sorry to hear that progress is halted for the time being, hopefully the house move provides good space for a layout.

Offline rogerdB

• N Gauge Society Number: 27380
    • Awards
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2018, 08:52:39 pm »
I have to have an ankle operation on Monday which means a cast then boot for 3 months.

Good luck with the operation. Hope you can get back to modelling soon. - Roger.

Online Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2018, 08:57:56 pm »
I have to have an ankle operation on Monday which means a cast then boot for 3 months.

Good luck with the operation. Hope you can get back to modelling soon. - Roger.

Yes, indeed.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Mito

• Awards
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2018, 09:24:08 pm »
Good luck with the op. With a pair of crutches you'll be up and running in a couple of days. A white bovver boot will look rather "twee". Remember to write L or R on it to remind you which side it's supposed to be. :) :thumbsup:
You know you're getting older when your mind makes commitments your body can't meet.

Online port perran

• Awards
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2018, 09:30:10 am »
Best of luck with the op and hopefully youíll make a speedy and satisfactory recovery.
And good luck with the house sell too.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Phoenix

• Larger Gallery
    • Awards
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2018, 01:49:58 pm »

Sorry to hear you have to go to Hospital. Hope all goes well, as I'm sure it will.

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2018, 05:13:52 pm »
Good luck with the op Weave, and best wishes for a speedy recovery (and success in finding a suitable hiding place for the interim layout...) :thumbsup:

Online Chris in Prague

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24400
    • Awards
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2018, 06:53:02 pm »
Unfortunately, having had a very busy December, I missed this thread, Chris (Weave). I'm glad that I had time to go through it. I also wish that all goes well with the operation and the recovery period.

The "Chelsea Girls" did go to Britanny for the New Year, as they were invited by Elayne Guillou, of Port Regleun near St. Brieuc, Brittany, a very talented graphic artist from Brittany, who Sylvia befriended at leading London advertising agency, S H Benson Ltd., where they both worked. Eli, as the "Girls" call her, has the typical Celtic pale skin, freckles, and (long, flowing) red hair and a lively, extrovert personality to match. Eli is very fond of Breton cidre with its rich, full-bodied, rustic flavours, and fruity, floral and spicy notes and has introduced the "Girls" to it, too. Sylvia has already recommended, to her parents, that they import some of the best Breton artisan cidre and add it to the product range distributed by the "Castle Brewery", alongside the popular "Sam's Cider" from Somerset, as a premium product for connoisseurs of traditional cider. After a very busy Christmas not to mention the momentous events of the October, the "Girls" wanted a break away from it all. This was arranged for them by Marielle who, like Eli, is a tri-lingual (Breton, French, and English) Breton, and is the SW England CIWL representative and works with fellow Breton, Eli and Sylvia to publicise the CIWL Pullman "Star of the West" / 'L'etoile de l'Ouest', Britanny - Cornwall (via the West Porthsea Quay - Regleun train ferry) service. Marielle arranged for a CIWL Sleeping Car plus Restaurant Car for the "Chelsea Girls" and a group of broadsheet newspaper travel journalists to be worked from Penmayne via Wadebridge, Trepol Bay, Port Perran and Truro to West Porthsea and then the train ferry to Britanny. In return for looking after the journalists, the "Girls" got free tickets and CIWL paid for the Sleeping Car's transport costs.

On the return journey, a "Kronenbourg" refrigerated van and a "Martini" van joined the CIWL Sleeping Car plus Restaurant Car taking the same route back to Penmayne. [Martin now also has, like me, these two Minitrix vans and has some CIWL coaches, too.]
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 06:54:26 pm by Chris in Prague, Reason: Updated »

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2018, 12:42:16 am »
Thank you all for the best wishes regarding the op.

It looks like the good lady wont be joining me in hospital (different injuries)  :D   :no: as I did such a good job tidying the room and sorting the garden for tomorrow's (today's) house photos that I think I've accumulated enough brownie points to allow for the Tremargat St. Croix layout to be permanent. (ish).

The next problem is finding everything again in the chaos of tidiness.

If I can get prepared over the Weekend I might even get things done. It'll be slow but not as slow as before, hopefully. Three months off work, no dog walking, shopping etc.  :claphappy:

That reminds me, I must go to Tesco on Sunday and stock up (start up) an Off Licence hidden in the back of my van  ;)

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2018, 04:21:02 pm »
 :hellosign: Best of luck with OP Chris & wish you a speedy recovery
      regards Derek.

Online Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2018, 01:14:40 pm »
I'm sory to hear that your OP has been cancelled.  I hope you get on alright at the tip  :(
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2018, 01:54:04 pm »
Thanks Laurence,

That post's going to confuse people  :).

Yes the operation was cancelled so waiting on new date  :doh: and am going to the tip this afternoon as while I'm still mobile more chores have been conjured up  :doh:.

Hopefully some modelling will be done, one day.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here