!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Port Regleun and Tremargat (having another go)  (Read 1725 times)

Online weave

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Port Regleun and Tremargat (having another go)
« on: December 19, 2017, 09:02:36 pm »
Hi all,

After having to dismantle the Izaro layout due to complicated house moves which will take about 2 years I have resurrected Port Regleun in a reasonably easy to dismantle format to provide passenger ferry services from Brittany to Cornwall and Ireland and vice versa plus an alternative train ferry route to the South West of France and Spain via Cornwall and Brittany avoiding all the complications that London and Dover bring.

The layout will be set, like the others, in two time periods (on different operating days), the '80s/90's and the early to mid '60s.

To stop myself rambling too much (again) I'll show some pics and try and briefly explain the plan.

It's all a bit of a muddle at the moment, mainly that the train ferry is from the '80s (I have another for the '60s) and the ex Titanic passenger ferry is '60s (I have another for the '80s/'90s) but they all need loads of work. There's lots of infrastructure in various boxes but the room is still chaos.

So, to give you an idea, pic of 2 ferries, station platforms to be built on the right, the train ferry will be enclosed in a sea lock...

Different angle, the sea lock will be extended and I can't find my experimental linkspans....

The bridge (to be decided upon) entrance to the dock area over a tidal river from the test track area. Probably houses and bars going on either side going back into the alcove bit on the left.....

The test track area. Unfortunately I can't build on this as too big to store if I did, it's OK as it is (complicated)...

Sorry, forgot to mention Tremargat which will be a small fishing harbour around the bay coming off the test track on the other side of the room. It'll have a small station and hopefully a Lambig cooperative distillery for the surrounding apple orchard farmers. This, a bit like the earlier bridge area will be small and portable for dismantling and storage purposes.

First train arrives (am still trying to box and list everything so just the one) from Nantes with engineers from St. Nazaire who are overlooking the progress (ha) being made on the sea lock....

I'll leave it there for now but have questions on the track plan, where to put the station building plus others. Also more pics of trains, different eras, through runnings etc. to come.

Thanks for reading and looking. Hope wasn't too much.

Cheers weave  :beers:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 12:36:53 pm by weave »

Offline port perran

• Awards
Re: Port Regleun and Tremargat (having another go)
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2017, 09:13:07 pm »
Good to see that you have decided to resurrect the layout Chris.
Looking forward to seeing pictures and of trains running between Brittany and Cornwall.
Hope the comlicated house moves eventually work out.
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2017, 09:16:19 pm »
Thanks Martin and good luck tomorrow. I'll be rooting for ya. Robins flying high at moment!

Offline port perran

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2017, 09:28:22 pm »
Thanks Martin and good luck tomorrow. I'll be rooting for ya. Robins flying high at moment!

Thank you. Yes, I have my ticket and very definitely hoping for an upset. I usually manage 7 or 8 games each season travelling up from Cornwall but usually for Saturday matches. I’ve made an exception by going to this evening game tomrrow (they tell me Manchester United are a big team).
It's you railway so build it as you want and run whatever you like. The only rule is - ENJOY :
My Layouts -
Port Perran:- Trepol Bay:-

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2017, 09:41:20 am »
I wish you every success with the new version of the layout and look forward to more updates as and when. Out of curiosity, I see you use Unitrack but there are some brown coloured points. Is it just they have been painted?

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2017, 11:06:47 am »
I wish you every success with the new version of the layout and look forward to more updates as and when. Out of curiosity, I see you use Unitrack but there are some brown coloured points. Is it just they have been painted?

Hi NPN,

Thank you. Yes they are Kato #6 painted points from a previous layout that I needed to use as have run out. I still haven't decided about painting, ballasting, colours etc. and will probably leave til later on.

I had a few problems with the previous painted points (due to my lack of skills and eyesight probably) but those two seem to work OK.

Cheers and Happy Christmas, weave  :beers:

Online weave

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2017, 06:37:49 pm »
Hi all,

Few add on notes and questions/recommendations.

Firstly, before I carry on, do you think the track plan is OK? It's reasonably simple. Port pic again...

From right to left, the double Kato tramway track on the far right (ie the one not connected) will be filled in and just part of the port side.

There will be two platforms, one between the left tramway track (for post etc.) and the normal track and one to the left of the third track (both for passenger trains) with the middle track allowing locos to 'escape' to the Regleun depot facility further inland (not modelled).

There will be a link platform at the end with a sea wall behind.

The small bit of track to the left of the train ferry approach is for the two station pilots (another right handed point needed from Keith) and the sidings to the far left are for goods wagons awaiting loading or unloading from the train ferry etc.

The next thing is there is a reasonably big area in the middle and I can't decide where to put the station building. There won't be a car ferry as such (the odd car allowed onto the train ferry if there's enough room and if they are of the 'Chelsea Girl' family  :) + others I'm sure) but there is road access with a level crossing.

So, do I put it here?...

Needs original platform sides cut off to fit and can be brought forward to the camera thus keeping the longer LHS of the station platform but still allowing for bus and taxi connections with maybe an area beside the train ferry sea lock for a Channel Island ferry.

Or here?...

As I said the train ferry will be in a sea lock so I can fill in the area where the building is just plonked and have a few more sidings or something else. Can't think so any help/ideas greatly appreciated.

Hope all makes sense and thanks for watching.

PS Other station building options were at the top end beyond the three tracks or alongside the longer platform toward the camera but I thought it would be too far away from the ferries?

« Last Edit: December 20, 2017, 06:51:07 pm by weave »

Offline PostModN66

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 17980
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2017, 08:16:51 pm »
Hi Weave

The plan looks good to me - all the tracks are somewhat parallel to each-other and to the baseboard edge, but whilst this wouldn't be good for a rural or urban scene, it seems to be OK for a port layout.

I prefer the second station option.

....and how about this for the bridge:

Cheers Jon  :)
“We must conduct research and then accept the results. If they don't stand up to experimentation, Buddha's own words must be rejected.” ― Dalai Lama XIV

My Postmodern Image Layouts

Lofthole http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14792.msg147178#msg147178

Deansmoor http://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=14741.msg146381#msg146381

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+59)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2017, 08:45:41 pm »
Bearing in mind the station building will more than likely contain a 'Passport/Customs' section (you know what those Cornish smugglers are like!) I would have thought siting it towards the 'throat' of the facilities would be best :hmmm:

Offline keithbythe sea

• Awards
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 07:28:23 am »
Good to see you back up and running. I like the look of Jon’s bridge!

Online Bealman

• N Gauge Society Number: 23151
  • Whoops back we go
    • Awards
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2017, 07:34:01 am »
A Pola kit from the sixties!

Love it. Worth buying for kitbashing, if not suitable as is.  :thumbsup:
Vision over visibility. Bono, U2.

Offline Train Waiting

• The Table-Top Railway.
    • Awards
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 08:52:18 pm »
Hello Chris (Weave)

Catching up after a couple of days away on business.  Thank you very much for the interesting photographs.

It's really nice to see something a bit different.

All good wishes.

John
'Why does the Disney Castle work so well?  Because it borrows from reality without ever slipping into it.'

(Acknowledgement: John Goodall Esq, Architectural Editor, 'Country Life'.)

The Table-Top Railway is a train set trying and failing to be a model railway.

I believe that train sets and model railways are fun.

Offline Pete Smith

• Awards
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2017, 09:04:31 pm »
Might the station be further away from the quay side? To allow for the likely messing around with locos and stock? Maybe with a bay platform for terminating services,

Offline ntpntpntp

• Awards
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2017, 09:19:04 pm »
A Pola kit from the sixties!

Yeah, I've got one of those stashed away just in case an idea comes to mind!

One of my german friends has one converted to double track and with catenary on one of his modules. It's possible to isolate the trackwork leading up to it and then there are push-buttons to allow the bridge to raise and a barge's horn to be sounded. Really cool!

Nick.   2016 celebrating the 20th anniversary of "Königshafen" exhibition layout!

Offline cornish yorkie

• Awards
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 11:38:52 pm »
 :hellosign: Glad to see your up & running again Chris. All looking seriously good so far, would the station building be sited close to the passenger ferry? just a thought
     regards Derek.

Please Support Us!
June Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Jun 30
Total Receipts: £60.00
Above Goal: £5.00
Site Currency: GBP
109% 
June Donations

Advertise Here