!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Dapol Easi-Fit/Shunts spring fitting  (Read 1191 times)

Offline SheldonC

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 24370
    • Awards
Re: Dapol Easi-Fit/Shunts spring fitting
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2018, 12:46:18 pm »
 :thankyousign:  I came to this thread looking for advice on using neodymium magnets for uncoupling instead of digging up relatively large areas of 4-Foot.  I found all of these comments potentially very helpful in dealing with the few couplers I have that have lost their springs.  Now, does anyone have any suggestions on how to disentangle the replacement springs from each other, please?

Offline Caz

• N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2018, 12:48:45 pm »
I use a small scalpel and a couple of toothpicks, it's very fiddly but does work.  Gently roll the intertwined springs backwards and forwards and they slowly start to separate.  Once I get one starting to separate I trap it with a toothpick and roll the others away.

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2018, 03:20:15 pm »
What I have started doing is as soon as I get some new springs I take them out of the bag before they get tangled and feed them onto a pin, ten stick the pin into a bit of foamboard, then keep them in a bag ready for use, unless they arrived tangled then I end up destroying them trying to untangle them.  I do find the ones supplied with the couplers are generally ok, it's the ones supplied on their own that give me more issues, it's because they are in a bigger bag so can easily move around and get tangled, the ones supplied with the couplers are in a very small bag so don't move about too much.

Have managed to get to grips with fitting them though and often get it done in one go now, lost quite a few springs whilst honing my technique though.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 03:24:04 pm by Paul-H »

Offline SheldonC

• Awards
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2018, 05:38:51 pm »
What I have started doing is as soon as I get some new springs I take them out of the bag before they get tangled and feed them onto a pin, ten stick the pin into a bit of foamboard, then keep them in a bag ready for use, unless they arrived tangled then I end up destroying them trying to untangle them.  I do find the ones supplied with the couplers are generally ok, it's the ones supplied on their own that give me more issues, it's because they are in a bigger bag so can easily move around and get tangled, the ones supplied with the couplers are in a very small bag so don't move about too much.

Have managed to get to grips with fitting them though and often get it done in one go now, lost quite a few springs whilst honing my technique though.
I think you're right about the size of the bag; I've stuck my spares to a piece of insulating tape for now.

Offline SheldonC

• Awards
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2018, 05:41:32 pm »

Sorry, I've already replied to this one! :-[

Offline SheldonC

• Awards
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2018, 05:42:27 pm »
I use a small scalpel and a couple of toothpicks, it's very fiddly but does work.  Gently roll the intertwined springs backwards and forwards and they slowly start to separate.  Once I get one starting to separate I trap it with a toothpick and roll the others away.
Thanks for that - I'll give it a go. :thankyousign:

Offline Portpatrick

• N Gauge Society Number: 3434
    • Awards
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2018, 07:59:07 pm »
I have been changing from MBM to Easi shunt on PortpatrickTown.  I have found it easy enogh to break Dspol magnets in half.  Less to dug out and they still work well. 

Offline Paul-H

• N Gauge Society Number: 27678
    • Awards
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2018, 08:23:59 pm »
I did that to mine to save some money, but found after some trials and trials using stronger magnets under the sleepers that the original full size magnets gave the most reliable result.

It's also worth remembering if you do cut them in half and then decide you want full size magnets you can't  just stick to two halves back together as because of the break they act as two separate magnets, even when the ends are touching.

Please Support Us!
August Goal: £65.00
Due Date: Aug 31
Total Receipts: £67.50
Above Goal: £2.50
Site Currency: GBP
104% 
August Donations

Advertise Here