!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: L'esprit de Lavaux  (Read 2856 times)

Offline Caz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 23044
  • Fairford Branch ticket 1958
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
Re: L'esprit de Lavaux
« Reply #60 on: August 15, 2018, 07:36:25 pm »
I've found that once the ballast is in place, spray with water with a drop of washing up liquid in it using one of those fine misting bottles.  Don't use one that blows the ballast away or you'll have to start again. 

Wet a few feet at a time and then either spray or I prefer using a syringe to drop the 50% PVA/water mix onto the ballast between  the sleepers a sleeper at a time, fiddly but you don't risk blowing the ballast out of position and once you get a rhythm it is very quick to do and you don't get glue everywhere.

The syringe I use was originally from a printer ink refill kit but you can buy similar from a chemist.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2018, 07:39:21 pm by Caz »

Offline GreyWolf

• N Gauge Society Number: 27321
  • Wolves are sociable, but may bite if irritated!
    • Awards
« Reply #61 on: August 16, 2018, 06:55:45 pm »
Spent a couple of hours today getting plastered ...  :confused1:

Means that I can now start to plan out where things are going to go, like the Station and other buildings, road, fencing etc etc ...

Cheers  :beers:

Offline trevis

• Awards
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2018, 06:45:22 am »
Looks good.

Don't you just love plastering, so tactile, if not messy. And you get an immediate sense of terrain. This just transformed my layout in a matter of hours before my eyes.

Not sure I would ever want to become a plasterer though now I've had the experience...

TC

Offline GreyWolf

• Awards
« Reply #63 on: August 31, 2018, 11:57:26 am »
Have painted alongside and between the tracks where I'm expecting the ballast to go. Should also help me to start planning some more of the scenery placements.

I'm trying some Noch "Grey Granite" ballast this time with the Ballast Magic (ratio 4:1 ballast to magic)!

Just done the insides of the mainlines for the moment to see how it goes; looks very dark when wet!?

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #64 on: August 31, 2018, 01:48:34 pm »
Yikes :goggleeyes: I hope it dries lighter :uneasy:

Offline Innovationgame

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 26531
    • The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #65 on: August 31, 2018, 03:59:16 pm »
I used the Noch ballast with Ballast Magic in the ratio of about 6:1 and it sets like rock!  But make sure you give it a really good stir before you spread it.  I use an old teaspoon for the spreading.
With kind regards
Laurence
My personal website is a bit of a mish mash
www.innovationgame.com

Offline GreyWolf

• Awards
« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2018, 01:39:18 pm »
So I'm using the Noch Grey Granite, mixed 4:1 with the Ballast Magic, which has set really well!

The only problem is ... although it looks good when first laid down (still dry):

As soon as I add the water to activate the Ballast Magic Powder ... it turns dark!  :confused1:

Nothing like the same colours ... but it does set very well, so I'm happy to do a grey acrylic wash over it later.

I've ballasted the outside of the yard and the main lines up to where the platforms will go ...

I'm quite pleased how it matches with the "other" ballast that I'd had problems with!

The engineering shed is in place but not fixed...

Offline GreyWolf

• Awards
« Reply #67 on: September 03, 2018, 02:38:59 pm »
Experimenting with the back scene, I've started using up some of the expanded polystyrene packaging that I've collected.

Once glued down with some spray glue, I then covered it with strips of the widest masking tape I could find.

Then I've covered the masking tape with Craft Rock plaster bandage, watered in with a spray to help it stick.

Which from track level, I think looks ok!

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #68 on: September 03, 2018, 02:53:52 pm »
Yes, mine went darker once wet, but it's not as dark as yours.  But it was quite a lot lighter when I started, although it's the same part number.  What material did you use to cover the UPS packing pieces?
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline GreyWolf

• Awards
« Reply #69 on: September 03, 2018, 03:44:42 pm »
Quote from: Innovationgame
Yes, mine went darker once wet, but it's not as dark as yours.  But it was quite a lot lighter when I started, although it's the same part number.  What material did you use to cover the UPS packing pieces?

Hi Laurence,

At least I'm not the only one with the ballast colour problem - thanks!

I covered the packing with simple masking tape first - just to give some form and base for the "Craft Rock".

Basically, it is bandage type material that is covered in plaster of Paris ... so when wet it becomes wonderfully messy and you really feel that you are molding the terrain. Very therapeutic  8)
I cut and lay the dry bandage working with smallish strips. Then using a water sprayer as its best to get it quite wet, I just work the plaster with my fingers to try and cover over the little holes in the material. Not too bothered in places where I think it will need a second cover. Only the top layer needs to be "smoothed" to take acrylic paints.

If you try it I'm sure you'll like it; cheers  :beers:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2018, 03:45:51 pm by GreyWolf »

Offline GreyWolf

• Awards
« Reply #70 on: September 05, 2018, 09:58:52 am »
The Track is Back ... have put in the ballast on the north mainline and most of the yard, just the bit near the shed to finish.

Next step is to give the track a really good clean! Meanwhile, I've had a go at painting a bit of the ballast - to try and get back to a grey nearer the Kato track colour.

This was with acrylic paint (not watered down) and looks close to the colour ... but does it look too artificial? Not sure as this would take a lot of time and paint to do across the whole layout ...  :hmmm:

Offline Innovationgame

• The innovationgame
    • Awards
« Reply #71 on: September 05, 2018, 10:48:58 am »
I now see the colour problem with your ballast.  Mine's not as dark as yours but, becuase I'm using Peco Streamline, I can use any colour I like. You could try a lighter grey ballast to match your track.
With kind regards
Laurence
www.innovationgame.com

Offline Newportnobby

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+63)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 21962
    • Awards
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2018, 04:13:00 pm »
Sadly I think as the acrylic was not diluted the ballast looks a bit 'solid'. I reckon it would work and look much better with diluted paint :hmmm:

Offline GreyWolf

• Awards
« Reply #73 on: September 05, 2018, 05:29:54 pm »
Sadly I think as the acrylic was not diluted the ballast looks a bit 'solid'. I reckon it would work and look much better with diluted paint :hmmm:

As a first attempt, I tried watered down acrylic ... which resulted in the ballast 'loosening', despite the Ballast Magic instructions saying it needed 'warm water' to do that! Then I tried the acrylic 'solid'. Sooo ... somewhere in between me thinks?  :-\

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #74 on: September 05, 2018, 06:02:29 pm »
 Have you tried weathering what you have? Given track doesnít get uniformly dirty you donít need a consistent baseline necessarily. Thereís nothing inherently realistic about the Kato ballast - so maybe try weathering the whole lot, rather than trying to homogenise it all to match the moulded Kato stuff?

Please Support Us!
September Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Sep 30
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
September Donations

Advertise Here