!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: DJ Models APT crowdfunding campaign  (Read 9614 times)

Offline cutting42

• Trade Count: (0)
    • Awards
Re: Durham Trains of Stanley APT crowdfunding campaign
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2017, 04:15:34 pm »
A 14er interest has been registered. An iconic train from my youth and although out of era and region is most definitely a must have.

Offline Dalek

• N Gauge Society Number: 24836
    • Awards
« Reply #76 on: December 31, 2017, 12:00:18 pm »
I'm no expert on the apt at all, can anybody explain the differences between the models on offer ?  :dunce:

Black/Yellow front windows ? Was it yellow at first then changed to black or the other way round ?
Power car on the real one was in the middle ? Does that mean the model is driven from the middle as well ?

:confused2:

DJM-APT-N-0002
5 car set (1 power car 49006) 
370006 & 370007 Black front window
£549.95    48106/48606/49006/48607/48107

DJM-APT-N-0001
6 car set (1 power car 49001)
370001 & 370005 Yellow front window
£599.95  48101/48201/48601/49001/48205/48105

DJM-APT-N-0003
7 car set (1 power 49006 1 dummy 49003 City of Derby)
370006 & 370003 Black front window
£649.95  48106/48606/49006/49003/48603/48203/48103

DJM-APT-N-0004
7 car set  ( 1 power 49006, 1 dummy 49002
370004 & 370002 Yellow front window
£649.95  48104/48604/49004/49002/48602/48202/48102

DJM-APT-N-0006
10 car set (1 working power car 49006 & 1 Dummy 49003 City of Derby)
370006 & 370003 Black front window
£799.95   48106/48206/48406/48606/49006/49003/48603/48403/48203/48103

DJM-APT-N-0007
14 car set (2 working power cars 49005 & 49002)
370005 & 370002  Black front window
£899.95   48105/48205/48405/48305/48505/48605/49005/49002/48602/48502/48302/
               48402/48202/48102

N Gauge APT-P Specifications

1) Working 'Damped' tilt mechanism
2) DCC Next18
3) DCC Sound ready with space for speaker
4) Directional lighting
5) Internal subdued coach lighting ( Controllable on DCC)
6) Removable and posable nose with NEM coupling pocket on cab front bulkhead
7) High Quality 5 pole skew wound motor with twin flywheels
8) Us outline style drive train and gearing with train geared for 140mph
9) Cab lighting
10) Fully decorated interior throughout
11) Correct pattern and color seats for 1st and 2nd class
12) Limited Edition certificate
13) Close coupling with non-gap corridor connectors
14) Radius 2 compatible
15) Dual power motor units for longer trains
16) Etched steel windscreen wipers
17) Separately applied parts including foot steps, door slider rails
18) Flush Glazing
19) Darkened profile wheel sets to RP25-110

Offline CaleyDave

• Awards
« Reply #77 on: December 31, 2017, 12:26:56 pm »
Yellow and then later black and yellow. Think it was the first train painted what became intercity executive livery so the black window surrounds were the evolution to the final executive livery.

Yes my understanding is the model will be driven from the middle. With the 6/7 car sets including a dummy and the 10/14 having two motors.

Offline Dalek

• N Gauge Society Number: 24836
    • Awards
« Reply #78 on: December 31, 2017, 05:18:12 pm »
Thanks for the info @CaleyDave   :thumbsup:

Offline woodbury22uk

• N Gauge Society Number: 23382
    • Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #79 on: January 12, 2018, 11:57:35 am »
DJModels have published an update on the Durham Trains of Stanley APT-P model in N.  Now shown in the next post below.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 12:19:12 pm by woodbury22uk, Reason: Removed link. »
Mike

Over-user of brackets and quotation marks.

Wondering how many pedants can dance of the head of a pin.

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline Tank

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
    • Facebook
    • Instagram
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #80 on: January 12, 2018, 12:02:43 pm »
You're too quick Woodbury!  :D

An email from DJM to put on the forum.....

N & OO Gauge Crowdfunded APT Press release Friday 12th January 2018

With it now being 7 weeks since the surprise announcement at the Warley MRC 2017 exhibition, it is time for a progress report.

Both Durham Trains of Stanley and DJModels Ltd are very pleased with progress so far with OO, running at over 65% of the total required to be self funding in all aspects achieved, and more orders coming in on a daily basis.

The N gauge is, surprisingly, just over 25% funded so far but it is hoped that as more become aware of the project they will jump on board and order.

Adverts will soon start to appear in the press pushing the project forward into modellers consciousness, and press releases will continue to be released as we go along.

For those that do not know, this model promises to be the train a lot of you have always wished for, and to that aim we have specified and had agreed the specification which is available online, but a few things do need to be reiterated here.

Namely,

A working tilting mechanism in both gauges, Next18 or higher decoder socket, On board DCC sound capability, directional lighting, internal car lighting throughout, heavy metal chassis and gearing based on the best of Japanese / American Practice in design and construction, Seats with correct tartan seat and seat back design and colours, Painted and finished buffet car, fully modelled and painted cab interior with cab lighting, removable nose with accessory pack containing buffers and lifting arm for nose and NEM coupling for those that wish this feature, 5 pole skew wound motor with flywheels and a host of other fine detail you would expect for such a prestigious model.

Design still goes on in the background as it is felt that working through the design features of the model now, will give us a Ďhead startí on the model and testing before the model goes into tooling. However the thinking process on how we can make this model even better goes on, and we welcome any ideas our customers might have to help develop what could be the ultimate model electric train made.

There will be regular updates from this moment forward, and once we reach the line, and hopefully cross it, we will organise the laser scanning party at Crewe Heritage Centre.

Best regards

Mick Worrell (Durham Trains of Stanley)

Dave Jones (DJModels Ltd)

Offline woodbury22uk

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #81 on: January 12, 2018, 12:06:56 pm »
Sorry Tank. I am pleased that Dave is keeping NGF up to date on this project. Still needs a lot of oomph to get to 100% funded.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline woodbury22uk

• Facebook
    • YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2018, 05:15:50 pm »
The 00 gaugeversion is just 50 orders short of getting the go ahead. http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/128566-oo-gauge-crowdunded-apt-p-warley-announcement/?p=3072033

What do we need to do to stoke up some more N gauge interest. N was down around 25% of the required order level at the last update in January 2018.
Mike

Membre AFAN 0196

Offline Railbank

• Awards
« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2018, 09:41:12 pm »
the main problem as I see it is that the crowdfunding arena is just that ...... crowded

stating the obvious the n gauge market is only a fraction of OO hence the lag for APT-P and whilst the intention is to spread the cost the instalments will still be hefty amounts from disposable incomes that most of us modellers rely on.

Also the market is now offering lots & lots of tempting releases at an unprecedented rate.

With 2 different manufacturers of Class 92, KFA's, 321/322's, Cargo Wagons, HOA's, Sturgeons, and potentially some extra Pendolino's available, coupled to the Dapol 68's, Farish 40's and the plethora of other general releases by the big 2 - currently standing at 5 pre-orders for me - I am now catching my breath.

Whilst APT-P is certainly a nice to have, and back in the day I even saw it once on a test run, at present I will not buy into the current offering.

Cost is the main thing, yes it's a one time production run but at £900 for a 14 car set, and that's the one I would want, it's just too big a layout financially.

Risk of spanners in the works & delay is another factor - I have already bought into this manufacturers class 92, (yes I know DToS is the commissioner of APT-P), but the DJM Class 92 has seen delay after delay even though the trigger level of crowd-funders signed up was quickly reached - so until I see the fruits of Class 92 I will remain an interested observer.

The Pendolino is a good benchmark as to how long this project might take, yes a different manufacturer but an equal challenge due to numbers of cars, complexity of design and the huge numbers of units that will have to be produced to make up the sets.

Sadly I don't think we will see APT-P in ready to run n gauge soon.

Offline Mustermark

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 19989
  • Ex-pat Brit in Maryland
    • Mark's Model Railway
    • Awards
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2018, 10:09:18 pm »
I agree, itís a nice to have, but I never saw it in real life and the price is too high for a nice to have.

I never saw a Grey-Blue Pullman either, but the price there is about the borderline, so I have that on my list.

APT-E, on the other hand is a must have. I saw that in the flesh.  Iíll sell a kidney for that one.
 :laugh3:

http://www.marksmodelrailway.com
I'm a personality prototype... you can tell, can't you.

Offline njee20

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22598
    • Awards
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2018, 10:18:03 pm »
Yep, thatís me too. At half the price iíd have had one, but itís too expensive for a total rule one punt. Call me a colossal cynic, but I also dislike Dave saying things like ďthey hope to have something tangible by Warley at the latestĒ, heís got a history for ridiculously ambitious and meaningless deadlines, I donít know why he persists.

It sounds like a terrific model, has he said the required volumes to actually get it across the line? I thought 50 sounded like some way adrift still? For all involved I really hope it happens, but I will also be an interested observer.

Offline acko22

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #86 on: March 27, 2018, 07:40:40 pm »
OK so first post on here in a long..... time since I have been rather busy with work.

I had heard of the APT-P been done by DJM as a commission, but as tempting it is at the prices that are been asked well its to much for me to stomach! This isn't a dig at DJM Dave as I know its not him that is setting the prices its Durhams of Stanley.

As a brief comparison the Revolution 11 car "City of Birmingham" is 365 Vs the 10 car APT-P at more than double that been a penny short of 800, then this has me asking how many are they actually expecting to sell I know RT had to hit 1000 minimum so are Durhams only epxecting 600 or so sales in N gauge? Comparing the Pendo agains the APT-P for the variants in cars (from my understanding) they both have 7 individual cars that need to be designed to make a set:

Pendonlino:
DMRF   Driving motor: first class open with kitchen   
MF   Intermediate motor: first class open (with disabled seating)
PTF   Intermediate trailer with pantograph: first class open
MS   Intermediate motor: standard class open
TS   Intermediate trailer: standard class open
PTSRMB   Intermediate trailer with pantograph: standard class with shop/buffet & train managers office
DMSO   Driving motor: "Quiet Zone" standard class open (with cycle storage)

APT-P:
Driving Trailer Second
Trailer Second
Trailer Restaurant Second Buffet
Trailer Unclassified
Trailer First
Trailer Brake First
Non-Driving Motor

So to a degree of design requirement I would say that yes there is more work involved in the APT-P (you can scan an entire Pendolino but not a complete APT-P the Trailer Second is missing from the set at Crewe), but to ask an extra +400 for the APT-P is severely going to hinder the sales, even when taking into account the devaluation of the pound (With my travels I know the fluctuation all to well), the higher costs of manufacturing compared to 2014 and profit expectations.

Been honest DCC and lights are standard these days the only new internal working would be the tilt which IIRC some German models have that and if that is the reasoning for the massive difference then I can easily live without, so sorry as much as I would want one at the prices asked its a no from me!

I personally don't feel that it will reach the required funding anytime soon sadly and I say this as a "rule - 1ish" (If one exists then it could run on the mainline again - Western on hire to GBRF proved that) person who would have one if the price was right.

As I say this is in no way a dig at DJM Dave as he is the manufacturer but maybe he should take note and possibly say what is been wrote by others in regards to pricing to Durhams as it does seem to be a common elimination factor for many people with it simple been to much to stomach for a model regardless how how long or iconic it status when you compare it with other similar offerings that are out there.

Finally - This one is for DJM Dave, I appreciate what you said in your post and I agree money doesn't grow on trees to funding everything at the same time, and production slots must be a pain to sort due multiple factors forward planning been affected by flaws found in EPs, livery, etc.
But I hope you can appreciate that (using your class 17 for example) to have 3D print of the class 17 body back in 2014 at Tings and then nothing to show until Warley 2017 does create false expectations of time frames, and this coupled in with the number of announcements you have made without seemingly much progress on many of them does begin to annoy people (your not the only one BTW - Farish 319 anyone?).
It just harks back to what I can only describe as a territorial uniting contest with manufacturers putting their name against thing without intent of doing them with anytime soon which I am sure like me there are plenty of people who are rather bored of, and would like to see model coming out sooner rather than later as I know I have put funds aside in the past for models which then gets spent on other models as I get  :censored: off with waiting. 

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #87 on: March 27, 2018, 07:53:24 pm »
I follow your rational, however, its comparing price now and a price nearly four years ago and that's before currency fluctuations.

Ask Ben and Mike what they would have to charge for the Pendalino now, and you might find there is little difference.

Offline acko22

• Advertiser
  • Trade Count: (+2)
    • PROJECT RAILWAY HONOUR - HONOURING THE PAST, HELPING TODAY
    • Awards
« Reply #88 on: March 27, 2018, 07:58:51 pm »
I follow your rational, however, its comparing price now and a price nearly four years ago and that's before currency fluctuations.

I have looked and used the commercial (bank of England trading rates) for my understanding both the GBP to the USD and against the Yuan the difference is 18% against at currenent markets and with the increased costs in China I still cant find the more than double costings which Durhams are asking unless as I say they are not expecting to hit the 1000 model mark in n gauge.

Offline Snowwolflair

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 25174
  • 2mm Association Number: 4194
    • Awards
« Reply #89 on: March 27, 2018, 08:03:08 pm »
I was told a rerun of the Pendalinos would be +£600 a full spec unit and that's to rerun a model that has already been successfully manufactured.  Add to that the design, development and tooling costs you are at +£800.

Please Support Us!
October Goal: £55.00
Due Date: Oct 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
October Donations

Advertise Here
anything