!!

Not Registered?

Welcome!  Please register to view all of the new posts and forum boards - some of which are hidden to guests.  After registering and gaining 10 posts you will be able to sell and buy items on our N'porium.

If you have any problems registering, then please check your spam filter before emailing us.  Hotmail users seem to find their emails in the Junk folder.

Thanks for reading,
The NGF Staff.

Author Topic: Cabbage !  (Read 423 times)

Offline 70000

• Trade Count: (0)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 27128
    • Awards
Cabbage !
« on: January 21, 2018, 07:28:14 am »
No, this isn't gardeners question time...........

Another kitbash currently in progress involves a spare Lifelike F40 body which is being converted into an Amtrak Cab-Baggage car (aka "Cabbage") - which sounds better than the NPCU (Non-Powered Control Unit) of their official title.

Basically they are a former F40 loco which has been gutted of its engine/traction motors etc and the engine compartment has been turned into a baggage storage area, accessed by a roller shutter door.
The control stand is still in place so it is used as what we would call a Driving Van Trailer over here.

The only photo I appear to have taken of one in this configuration is below:-

This was former F40 #220 and is seen at Portland in Maine on the rear of a Downeaster service during April 2012.
These carry a special livery for that service, whilst the others are in standard Amtrak colours.

To be continued....
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 07:29:21 am by 70000 »

Offline 70000

• Awards
Re: Cabbage !
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2018, 12:41:25 pm »
Needless to say, after posting the above picture, I realised I had got an earlier shot of one in standard livery taken at Porter, Indiana in 2000.....

I'd looked at my digital photos, but not scans of slides taken on earlier trips !

This one is former Amtrak F40 #219

Offline Jon898

• Awards
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2018, 01:52:22 pm »
Interesting that in the first pic, it's at the tail of a train, but in the second it looks from the lights to be at the front.  I'm guessing the second one was in single track operation and another loco was at the tail end?

Jon

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2018, 02:16:48 pm »
Interesting that in the first pic, it's at the tail of a train, but in the second it looks from the lights to be at the front.  I'm guessing the second one was in single track operation and another loco was at the tail end?

Jon

Yes - Looking at an Amtrak timetable for that period, the cab car was leading a Pontiac to Chicago Wolverine service and I've got a photo (of sorts) that shows that Amtrak #515 was the propelling loco.

I had taken a photo a bit earlier that day of the morning Chicago-Pontiac train with #518 leading.

This train would have had another cab car on the rear.

Offline dats475

• YouTube
    • Awards
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 03:10:41 pm »
Another great project, 70000!!
You're the Amtrak encyclopedia!
Also a professional photographer!
I'm enjoying your modelling along with your real railroads knowledge and photos!
Thank you.

Dats
Best regards with my annoying moving signature.
  :drool: Dats  https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxMwG2GNX3Va9AFLRaNH5xw

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 03:34:09 pm »
Another great project, 70000!!
You're the Amtrak encyclopedia!
Also a professional photographer!
I'm enjoying your modelling along with your real railroads knowledge and photos!
Thank you.

Dats

Thanks for your kind comments.

Certainly not a professional photographer, though I must be pushing on for 40,000 images (worldwide) over the period from 1974 to date........

Having had 34 vacations in the USA and 7 in Canada over the past 37 years, the interest in the North American railroad scene has developed rather a lot in that time, and it certainly encourages you to go beyond the "here are some photos of trains that I took on my trip" level !!
Never imagined I would go there that may times when I did my first trip in 1981 though.

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2018, 01:30:52 pm »
The completed car is shown below, with a standard Lifelike F40 model for comparison...

Holes were cut in the bodyside for the roller shutter doors - the holes conveniently corresponding to a pair of access doors that were already represented on the bodysides. These were filled with some corrugated plastic sheet to represent the doors themselves.
The roof fans were removed and the resulting holes sheeted over, whilst any ventillation grilles on the upper bodywork were filed/sanded down.

I was able to cheat a bit with the livery in that I've extended the black roof colour onto the bodysides, which isn't prototypical, but that enabled me to keep most of the existing bodywork colour intact, including the red/white/blue stripes!

The front pilot/snowplough has been filled with plastic strip and a dummy knuckle coupling attached, as it won't be used to haul stock anymore.

What isn't too obvious from the photos is the trucks that it is running on.  The original powered chassis was reused a while ago for something else, so I have no F40 style running gear surplus.  However, I had an ancient and deceased electrically Mehano (YU) FA chassis spare, so the unit now runs on Alco trucks !!
A new "fuel tank" was also cut to shape from the metal body weight fitted in the Alco as well.

At least it looks like what I was trying to achieve, so it will at least provide a suitable companion for one of my more modern Amtrak diesels on a rake of Amfleet stock.

Offline Webbo

• Awards
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2018, 10:09:54 pm »
An interesting project.

Good work.

Webbo

Offline 70000

• Awards
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 07:16:21 am »
In addition to the "Cabbages", there are a few conversions that do not have the baggage facility added which are used on the Pacific North West Talgo services ("Cascades") - due to the Talgo sets having baggage cars in their formations.

This shows one on the tail end of a northbound service heading for Seattle at Vader, Washington, last June.

Offline Cooper

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • N Gauge Society Number: 22643
  • 2mm Association Number: 5048
    • Awards
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 02:10:54 pm »
If anyone can use it, I have a spare body for one of these. Body only though, the chassis is under my BR class 85!

Just had a hunt around and I have the bogie side frames too if this helps.

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:30:33 pm by Cooper, Reason: Found the bogie side frames! »

Please Support Us!
May Goal: £55.00
Due Date: May 31
Total Receipts: £55.00
Below Goal: £0.00
Site Currency: GBP
100% 
May Donations

Advertise Here
anything